Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 3 2009, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 4 2009, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 3 2009, 05:49 PM)
So what happened to Dynasty?  I guess the lack of TRFers is showing now sad.gif

look up.......he's done it!!

Lack of feedback.

I'd tell ya what I think...but I've already done that. biggrin.gif

My top 5 Kiss albums ! (as if anyone cares)

1. Destroyer

2. Rock And Roll Over

3. Hotter Then Hell

4. Dressed To Kill

5. Love Gun

(I'm not including Alive, that stands alone)

Favorite non makeup era albums

1. Animalize

2. Carnival of Souls

3. Lick It Up

Sorry Presto dig, just wanted to share. atickhum.gif

Awesome reviews ! 1022.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 4 2009, 07:02 AM)
My top 5 Kiss albums ! (as if anyone cares)

1. Destroyer
2. Rock And Roll Over
3. Hotter Then Hell
4. Dressed To Kill
5. Love Gun

(I'm not including Alive, that stands alone)

Favorite non makeup era albums

1. Animalize
2. Carnival of Souls
3. Lick It Up

Sorry Presto dig, just wanted to share. atickhum.gif
Awesome reviews ! 1022.gif

No, quite happy you jumped in!!! trink39.gif

I totally agree with your review of Paul's studio album. I always thought many of these songs could go on Dynasty (which is sorta the last classic KISS album in my book) or vice versa. I'm generally pretty busy but have been trying to read up on some of your reviews. Great job--I agree with about all of them except Creatures Of The Night. Sorry, but I think it is boring and lacks much feeling. The title track, I Love It Loud and War Machine are the only songs it has going for it. Lick It Up was a much stronger effort from this line-up. Keep it up! Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 4 2009, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 3 2009, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 4 2009, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 3 2009, 05:49 PM)
So what happened to Dynasty?  I guess the lack of TRFers is showing now sad.gif

look up.......he's done it!!

Lack of feedback.

I'd tell ya what I think...but I've already done that. biggrin.gif

I know, and for that I'm eternally grateful biggrin.gif

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31JJVNZKDFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

ACE FREHLEY

Oh, the wild-card! What to expect from the fun-but-unpredictable and previously musically-shy Ace Frehley? There was a lot of reason for curious speculation and trepidation, from both the fans and from the band too -- Frehley not having contributed a ton of music to that point and a mere two vocal-led tunes and those two only very recently. The possibility of not even being able to deliver a completed product wasn't entirely unfair or unfathomable, especially on such a tight recording schedule in the spring of 1978.

Strange then when Ace not only delivered the only hit single from any of the four solo albums, but also when the entire album is largely considered the cream of the solo album crop. Personally I have a slight preference for Paul Stanley's album, but there's no doubt that Frehley dug deep and shocked everyone with an infectiously fun and deleriously entertaining album, even to listen to it still. Certainly he and Paul left Gene and Peter in the respective dust, insofar as competetive recording goes.

In all honesty, there isn't a weak track to be found here. There are some quirky song arrangements and melodies to wrap your head around, such as the surf-inspired Wiped Out (which has some sonic foreshadowings of his future work on Unmasked), I'm In Need Of Love, and the strange Ozone. The former oozes with atmosphere and actually musically conveys Frehley's staggering posture in the chorus. The latter's chorus is droned over an almost middle-eastern guitar sound. I'm In Need Of Love lopes and stumbles with a trippy vocal melody and echoey slow burn riff. And yet it all works.

More straight-forward rockers like Rip It Out and Snowblind blister with a very Kiss-like tempo and frankness. That the former never made it to the Kiss stage in subsequent years is criminal because it's the perfect Ace/Kiss song. The pop-laden Speedin Back To My Baby erupts with perhaps the most scintilating and orgasmic riff Ace has ever penned, not to mention a deleriously-lovely solo. Classic Frehley from stem-to-stern. What's On Your Mind borders on pop-rock, but again does it with style and hook. New York Groove provides the album its hooky anthem and its hit single. Fractured Mirror gives us a lush 12-string instrumental look at Frehley, a lilting and gorgeously layered piece.

The record amounts to a taut nine songs with hardly a wasted second on it. By any songwriting and rocking standard, it's a fine record. From the guy who was such an x-factor in the band at this point and was, at best, a bit on the uncertain side, the album is nothing short of monumental. There's a reason both Gene and (especially) Paul have been quoted to have been blown away by Ace's effort. Frankly, they never saw it coming and I don't think any of us really did. It's an album that sounds wonderful, is fun, it rocks, it plays with melody and arrangements...and is both idiosyncratic and mainstream; often both within the same song.

This album is truly the opposite of Gene Simmons' effort: entirely minimal with a cast and thank you list you could fit on a cocktail napkin (probably where Ace's was written). That is to say, it's focused and singular in its purpose -- to bleed no-bullshit rock and roll. It does that in spades.

Grade: A

Production: Stellar. Never have Ace's Les Paul tones sounded so original and signature as they do here. Eddie Kramer is clearly working with his favorite member of the band and focusing on what he does best...engineering. Combined with Frehley's surprisingly spry songwriting, the album is amongst the best sounding efforts ever put out with a Kiss logo on it.

Cover: (see previous solo album comments)

Reflections: Ace's was probably the third solo album I got. What I remember most was that New York Groove was the staple on the juke box at our local Pizza Hut for the longest time that year, along with the Snowblind b-side....and how rare that was, for me to find Kiss music on our local juke boxes.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 9 2009, 05:32 PM)

ACE FREHLEY

Oh, the wild-card! What to expect from the fun-but-unpredictable and previously musically-shy Ace Frehley? There was a lot of reason for curious speculation and trepidation, from both the fans and from the band too -- Frehley not having contributed a ton of music to that point and a mere two vocal-led tunes and those two only very recently. The possibility of not even being able to deliver a completed product wasn't entirely unfair or unfathomable, especially on such a tight recording schedule in the spring of 1978.

Strange then when Ace not only delivered the only hit single from any of the four solo albums, but also when the entire album is largely considered the cream of the solo album crop. Personally I have a slight preference for Paul Stanley's album, but there's no doubt that Frehley dug deep and shocked everyone with an infectiously fun and deleriously entertaining album, even to listen to it still. Certainly he and Paul left Gene and Peter in the respective dust, insofar as competetive recording goes.

In all honesty, there isn't a weak track to be found here. There are some quirky song arrangements and melodies to wrap your head around, such as the surf-inspired Wiped Out (which has some sonic foreshadowings of his future work on Unmasked), I'm In Need Of Love, and the strange Ozone. The former oozes with atmosphere and actually musically conveys Frehley's staggering posture in the chorus. The latter's chorus is droned over an almost middle-eastern guitar sound. I'm In Need Of Love lopes and stumbles with a trippy vocal melody and echoey slow burn riff. And yet it all works.

More straight-forward rockers like Rip It Out and Snowblind blister with a very Kiss-like tempo and frankness. That the former never made it to the Kiss stage in subsequent years is criminal because it's the perfect Ace/Kiss song. The pop-laden Speedin Back To My Baby erupts with perhaps the most scintilating and orgasmic riff Ace has ever penned, not to mention a deleriously-lovely solo. Classic Frehley from stem-to-stern. What's On Your Mind borders on pop-rock, but again does it with style and hook. New York Groove provides the album its hooky anthem and its hit single. Fractured Mirror gives us a lush 12-string instrumental look at Frehley, a lilting and gorgeously layered piece.

The record amounts to a taut nine songs with hardly a wasted second on it. By any songwriting and rocking standard, it's a fine record. From the guy who was such an x-factor in the band at this point and was, at best, a bit on the uncertain side, the album is nothing short of monumental. There's a reason both Gene and (especially) Paul have been quoted to have been blown away by Ace's effort. Frankly, they never saw it coming and I don't think any of us really did. It's an album that sounds wonderful, is fun, it rocks, it plays with melody and arrangements...and is both idiosyncratic and mainstream; often both within the same song.

This album is truly the opposite of Gene Simmons' effort: entirely minimal with a cast and thank you list you could fit on a cocktail napkin (probably where Ace's was written). That is to say, it's focused and singular in its purpose -- to bleed no-bullshit rock and roll. It does that in spades.

Production: Stellar. Never have Ace's Les Paul tones sounded so original and signature as they do here. Eddie Kramer is clearly working with his favorite member of the band and focusing on what he does best...engineering. Combined with Frehley's surprisingly spry songwriting, the album is amongst the best sounding efforts ever put out with a Kiss logo on it.

Reflections: Ace's was probably the third solo album I got. What I remember most was that New York Groove was the staple on the juke box at our local Pizza Hut for the longest time that year, along with the Snowblind b-side....and how rare that was, for me to find Kiss music on our local juke boxes.

Still enjoy listening to this one. While Paul's is a bit more polished and professional, this is a raw rocker that pulls no punches.

I think this is Ace's artistic apex. What he has released since can't quite match the brilliance of this one.

A true classic.

And I agree with you P-D, it is a shame that Rip it Out never made it onto a KISS stage. It is a perfect song for them.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 5 2009, 10:07 AM)
Last night I dug out my KISS EXposed DVD...been a long time since I've watched it and forgot how funny some of it was  biggrin.gif

That was the first video I ever saw of them. Had to love that early footage of Deuce, what a shocker!! ohmy.gif 1022.gif

Presto digi. I'm gonna cut and paste all your reviews into a doc and read 'em when I have some serious time, hence no feedback. Just wanna give out some kudos for all your efforts on these!! trink39.gif

For my money, you can't be too soon!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 9 2009, 04:32 PM)

ACE FREHLEY

Have to disagree with this one. There isn't a single song I like on this album besides the cover. Oddly enough, I think it's the second best solo record. In my opinion Paul's is a really great album, but the rest fall short.

I think my problem with this is Ace's voice. I have never really liked it and a whole album is just too much for me. tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Aug 9 2009, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 9 2009, 04:32 PM)

ACE FREHLEY

Oh, the wild-card!  What to expect from the fun-but-unpredictable and previously musically-shy Ace Frehley?  There was a lot of reason for curious speculation and trepidation, from both the fans and from the band too -- Frehley not having contributed a ton of music to that point and a mere two vocal-led tunes and those two only very recently.  The possibility of not even being able to deliver a completed product wasn't entirely unfair or unfathomable, especially on such a tight recording schedule in the spring of 1978.

Strange then when Ace not only delivered the only hit single from any of the four solo albums, but also when the entire album is largely considered the cream of the solo album crop.  Personally I have a slight preference for Paul Stanley's album, but there's no doubt that Frehley dug deep and shocked everyone with an infectiously fun and deleriously entertaining album, even to listen to it still.  Certainly he and Paul left Gene and Peter in the respective dust, insofar as competetive recording goes.

In all honesty, there isn't a weak track to be found here.  There are some quirky song arrangements and melodies to wrap your head around, such as the surf-inspired Wiped Out (which has some sonic foreshadowings of his future work on Unmasked), I'm In Need Of Love, and the strange Ozone.  The former oozes with atmosphere and actually musically conveys Frehley's staggering posture in the chorus.  The latter's chorus is droned over an almost middle-eastern guitar sound.  I'm In Need Of Love lopes and stumbles with a trippy vocal melody and echoey slow burn riff.  And yet it all works.

More straight-forward rockers like Rip It Out and Snowblind blister with a very Kiss-like tempo and frankness.  That the former never made it to the Kiss stage in subsequent years is criminal because it's the perfect Ace/Kiss song.  The pop-laden Speedin Back To My Baby erupts with perhaps the most scintilating and orgasmic riff Ace has ever penned, not to mention a deleriously-lovely solo.  Classic Frehley from stem-to-stern.  What's On Your Mind borders on pop-rock, but again does it with style and hook.  New York Groove provides the album its hooky anthem and its hit single.  Fractured Mirror gives us a lush 12-string instrumental look at Frehley, a lilting and gorgeously layered piece.

The record amounts to a taut nine songs with hardly a wasted second on it.  By any songwriting and rocking standard, it's a fine record.  From the guy who was such an x-factor in the band at this point and was, at best, a bit on the uncertain side, the album is nothing short of monumental.  There's a reason both Gene and (especially) Paul have been quoted to have been blown away by Ace's effort.  Frankly, they never saw it coming and I don't think any of us really did.  It's an album that sounds wonderful, is fun, it rocks, it plays with melody and arrangements...and is both idiosyncratic and mainstream; often both within the same song

This album is truly the opposite of Gene Simmons' effort: entirely minimal with a cast and thank you list you could fit on a cocktail napkin (probably where Ace's was written).  That is to say, it's focused and singular in its purpose -- to bleed no-bullshit rock and roll.  It does that in spades.

Grade:  A

Production:  Stellar.  Never have Ace's Les Paul tones sounded so original and signature as they do here.  Eddie Kramer is clearly working with his favorite member of the band and focusing on what he does best...engineering.  Combined with Frehley's surprisingly spry songwriting, the album is amongst the best sounding efforts ever put out with a Kiss logo on it.

Cover:  (see previous solo album comments)

Reflections:  Ace's was probably the third solo album I got.  What I remember most was that New York Groove was the staple on the juke box at our local Pizza Hut for the longest time that year, along with the Snowblind b-side....and how rare that was, for me to find Kiss music on our local juke boxes.

Have to disagree with this one. There isn't a single song I like on this album besides the cover. Oddly enough, I think it's the second best solo record. In my opinion Paul's is a really great album, but the rest fall short.

I think my problem with this is Ace's voice. I have never really liked it and a whole album is just too much for me. tongue.gif

trink39.gif

Really that's insane. Not ONE song on Ace's...?

eh.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 25 2009, 10:49 AM)
I am surprised that you kiss freaks are not talking about the Alive 35 tour that was announced yesterday.

presto-digitation- there is a greenville sc date!

I think someone posted dates in that other Modern Day Delilah thread, yes. yes.gif

I saw the Greenville date and if I go, that'll be the one. An hour away and on a Saturday. Other than playing the Peel wink.gif or the Civic Center, it won't get much more convenient than that.

I'm not big on this current lineup VISUALLY...(given the disrespect to Peter and Ace)...but I might go to this because my wife and I met as Kiss fans and in over 8 years together we've never seen them. I've not been to a Kiss show since the last Peter and Ace concert in October of 2000 in Charleston. So I might just....

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 25 2009, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 25 2009, 10:49 AM)
I am surprised that you kiss freaks are not talking about the Alive 35 tour that was announced yesterday.

presto-digitation- there is a greenville sc date!

I think someone posted dates in that other Modern Day Delilah thread, yes. yes.gif

I saw the Greenville date and if I go, that'll be the one. An hour away and on a Saturday. Other than playing the Peel wink.gif or the Civic Center, it won't get much more convenient than that.

I'm not big on this current lineup VISUALLY...(given the disrespect to Peter and Ace)...but I might go to this because my wife and I met as Kiss fans and in over 8 years together we've never seen them. I've not been to a Kiss show since the last Peter and Ace concert in October of 2000 in Charleston. So I might just....

trink39.gif

Gezzus you guys!

Where's the love for "CREATURES OF THE NIGHT?"

What a heavy fukkin' record.

Eric Carr's drumming is some serious heavy metal thunder.

Great record.

I think "THE ELDER" is great too.

Kiss going the concept album route?

Priceless.

Signed,

"The Oath" 1022.gif

KISS RULES!!!

Oh and DRESSED TO KILL IS KILLER!! WTF?????

i love Dressed To Kill. I wish they would have had more songs on it when they did Alive. great album