Top 100 Most Complete Guitarists

MCM

QUOTE (MCM @ Dec 17 2008, 01:08 PM)
Alex comes in at #29

http://www.chopshopradio.com/

Discuss.

Discuss? OK, never heard of the Chop Shop. What gives them the divine right to make lists?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Dec 17 2008, 12:37 PM)
This list doesn't deserve to be discussed sarcasm.gif

No John Petrucci confused13.gif
No Duane Allman confused13.gif

But Yet Malcolm Young is in the top 35 confused13.gif

wow...

yes.gif

Rabin at #100 and Howe at #50, with Leslie West ahead of Rabin. wacko.gif

These kind of lists are dumb. chopshop is a good show though. Steve Black knows his stuff. I usually read these lists to see how my favorite players ranked just for the sake of looking. and I like to see if the 'lesser known' but good guitarists made the list. good names on this list, but the pointless ranking system just ruins it.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Dec 17 2008, 12:37 PM)

wow...

I took some time to check out the criteria, one of which is sales. Another is influence on the rock world. For me, this explains Malcom's name being on the list. he & Angus have sold the sh*t out of their records, and tons of bands have ripped off their sound to one degree or another.

Still a crappy list, though.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Dec 17 2008, 05:37 PM)

wow...

I agree with Duane Allman, but there's no difference between John Petrucci and Joe Satriani or any other shredder. No-one can hear the notes properly anyway so someone should just pick one shredder, and allow that one person to count for all.

As for Malcolm, the guy is the best rhythm guitar player (bar keef) in the world, and has better feel and groove and rhythm than Petrucci could ever dream of or practice for. End of.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 17 2008, 11:04 PM)
This list doesn't deserve to be discussed  sarcasm.gif

wow...

I agree with Duane Allman, but there's no difference between John Petrucci and Joe Satriani or any other shredder. No-one can hear the notes properly anyway so someone should just pick one shredder, and allow that one person to count for all.

As for Malcolm, the guy is the best rhythm guitar player (bar keef) in the world, and has better feel and groove and rhythm than Petrucci could ever dream of or practice for. End of.

John Petrucci is not lesser than Malcolm Young. Anything Malcolm can do, John Petrucci can do. Not so the other way around. No guitarist is more complete than Steve Vai.

Opinion, granted...that's the thing with all these lists. One man's opinion, but JP is every bit the guitarist Malcolm Young is any day of the week. I find that hard to debate. And Vai...my opinion...in another league.

wow...

You need to expand your knowledge of John Petrucci and Joe Satriani's work. yes.gif

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Dec 17 2008, 11:46 PM)
No guitarist is more complete than Steve Vai.

It's tough to argue that. His chops are untouchable and he's pretty versatile. But if "complete" means versatile and musical and has good chops, the only other player who is more "complete" than Vai is Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs. He has chops to spare, is known for his songwriting ability and the very musical phrasing of his solos, and he's equally adept at playing hard rock, jazz, classical, bluegrass, chicken-pickin' country and funk. He's scary good, and is a more complete player than anyone on that list.

The fact that Morse isn't on that list (he's not THAT obscure) and Ace Frehley is (not exactly known for his chops or versatility) makes that list null and void. No need for further discussion.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Dec 17 2008, 11:14 PM)

wow...

You need to expand your knowledge of John Petrucci and Joe Satriani's work. yes.gif

wow..........does he ever. I'm not even gonna comment on that........

Load of balls - seems like a nice idea but its not great - players renound for playign the same thing, and not with great techinical ability, are ranked above great technical players with a lot of versitility and influence. But based on the criteria it says, its not all to bad - they took Ttechnical ability, soul and emotion, influence on the music and guitar industries, song writing, live experience, sales, signature sound and longevity all into account equally.

You'll never get a 'best guitarist' list right - its all subject to taste, theres no such thing as the worlds best guitarist, there are just to many aspects involved, and which factor is best is completely subjective. Its easy to distinguise an average/good/great guitarist from one another, but puting them in a rank order isn't going to be accurate.

If you really want to rank guitarists, the best way is to do it by influence and favourites- that isn't subjective. I think far and away the best 'guitarist list' i've seen is this one

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=97298

They asked over 300 professional guitarists who their favourite guitarists were. Again, obviously, its not perfect, but its a lot better than almost all the other lists out there.

Its best to create your own list, based on your own tastes and opinions, rather than read someone elses and take it as gospel, because theres no way in hell you'll ever completely agree with another person on this subject, thats the beauty of it.

As for the whole shredding thing, thats just an incredibly ignorant blanket statement to make.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 18 2008, 05:21 AM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Dec 17 2008, 11:46 PM)
No guitarist is more complete than Steve Vai.

It's tough to argue that. His chops are untouchable and he's pretty versatile. But if "complete" means versatile and musical and has good chops, the only other player who is more "complete" than Vai is Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs. He has chops to spare, is known for his songwriting ability and the very musical phrasing of his solos, and he's equally adept at playing hard rock, jazz, classical, bluegrass, chicken-pickin' country and funk. He's scary good, and is a more complete player than anyone on that list.

The fact that Morse isn't on that list (he's not THAT obscure) and Ace Frehley is (not exactly known for his chops or versatility) makes that list null and void. No need for further discussion.

goodpost.gif

after checking to see who they put above Lifeson, my next thought was Morse... how could he be over looked!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 18 2008, 02:00 PM)
No Dave Murray / Adrian Smith pairing? Blasphemy.

21 Murray/Smith 70.72

Right under Ted Nugent a.k.a Mr. Versatility! unsure.gif

Nice to see them included, but since that list is so utterly bad and wrong, it really doesn't matter much.

Archived