Top 100 Most Complete Guitarists

MCM

this list is shit.........thank you 1022.gif

No Allan Holdsworth...

Eric Johnson at 85? Buckethead at 97

wtf.gif

Looks like they were added to just make up the numbers by whomever was trying to make it a list of 100. Of course it's worthless like all lists like this, can't even be bothered to make a fuss...

schla03.gif

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Dec 18 2008, 04:46 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 17 2008, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Dec 17 2008, 05:37 PM)
This list doesn't deserve to be discussed  sarcasm.gif

No John Petrucci confused13.gif
No Duane Allman confused13.gif

But Yet Malcolm Young is in the top 35 confused13.gif

wow...

I agree with Duane Allman, but there's no difference between John Petrucci and Joe Satriani or any other shredder. No-one can hear the notes properly anyway so someone should just pick one shredder, and allow that one person to count for all.

As for Malcolm, the guy is the best rhythm guitar player (bar keef) in the world, and has better feel and groove and rhythm than Petrucci could ever dream of or practice for. End of.

John Petrucci is not lesser than Malcolm Young. Anything Malcolm can do, John Petrucci can do. Not so the other way around. No guitarist is more complete than Steve Vai.

Opinion, granted...that's the thing with all these lists. One man's opinion, but JP is every bit the guitarist Malcolm Young is any day of the week. I find that hard to debate. And Vai...my opinion...in another league.

That's the thing though, listen to DT doing Achille's Last Stand. I know it's not AC/DC, but there's no 'feel' in the guitar compared to the original version. Malcolm sure can't play techincal, but John can't play with a groove.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 18 2008, 04:33 PM)
I think Jack White deserves to be on the list. biggrin.gif

did you come from your x-mass party? confused13.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 18 2008, 05:01 PM)
I think Jack White deserves to be on the list.  biggrin.gif

Yep, that post was clearly the product of WAY too much spiked eggnog. Ho ho *hic* ho! 653.gif

Though, ReRushed did make it clear that he was kidding.

Right? huh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 18 2008, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 18 2008, 05:01 PM)
I think Jack White deserves to be on the list.  biggrin.gif

Yep, that post was clearly the product of WAY too much spiked eggnog. Ho ho *hic* ho! 653.gif

Though, ReRushed did make it clear that he was kidding.

Right? huh.gif

I'm a White Stripes fan fanning the flames! laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 18 2008, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Dec 17 2008, 11:46 PM)
No guitarist is more complete than Steve Vai.

It's tough to argue that. His chops are untouchable and he's pretty versatile. But if "complete" means versatile and musical and has good chops, the only other player who is more "complete" than Vai is Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs. He has chops to spare, is known for his songwriting ability and the very musical phrasing of his solos, and he's equally adept at playing hard rock, jazz, classical, bluegrass, chicken-pickin' country and funk. He's scary good, and is a more complete player than anyone on that list.

The fact that Morse isn't on that list (he's not THAT obscure) and Ace Frehley is (not exactly known for his chops or versatility) makes that list null and void. No need for further discussion.

I respect Vai's technical prowess but I have never really heard anything from him that interests me. Since the list is about completeness and not just chops I think he is rated too high.

Nothing can be done on a guitar that Vai can't do. I do understand that he's not everyone's "thing," but he'll break anyone down into the molecules that create them, and if you don't know that...then you haven't had the pleasure of listening to him past a few things.

I'm passionate about the Vai. I mean no disrespect to anyone's taste.

Also, Petrucci not having "feel" is a common misconception. Check the LaB version of "Hollow Years," and his G3 stuff. Just because he's a technical god, and can rearrange your DNA through shear sonic science...doesn't mean you can't enjoy him philosophically...or whatever this elusive "feel" is.

If you go by emotional connection to the instrument...then Greg Ginn is a great player. I think.

AND, I'll take Frank Marino for versatility...but if Frank can play it...Vai can play it, and look freaky doing it.

Vai,Satch,Malmsteen and the like, are jokes to me. Sure they can solo circles around me, but are any of those sweep arpeggios going to linger in my head? NO and any of their licks going to hit me in the chest with emotion and feel? HELL NO. I just can't get into their stuff.

Archived