the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 22 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 22 2011, 09:24 PM)
In the Court of the Crimson King needs more fast-paced music.

I like that album, but Moonchild drags and never seems to end, which is why I don't listen to it often.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 22 2011, 09:57 PM)

I like that album, but Moonchild drags and never seems to end, which is why I don't listen to it often.

facepalm.gif

"Moonchild" does drag on a bit. But the rest of the album is phenomenal.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 22 2011, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 22 2011, 09:57 PM)

facepalm.gif

"Moonchild" does drag on a bit. But the rest of the album is phenomenal.

Maybe I just need time for it to grow on me. I didn't like I Talk To The Wind at first, but I love it now.

The second half of Moonchild ON ITS OWN drags a bit (especially when you're sober), but in context of the album it fits perfectly. In the Court...is one of those albums where no second is wasted, all the transitions are written and executed perfectly, and any modification would disrupt the emotional and musical flow. It's the "calm before the storm", so to speak. When you're listening through, you hear the haunting, deceptively innocent first half of Moonchild, followed by the instrumental section that sort of dies into oblivion, puts you in a sort of tranquil, confused state, and then BOOM! the drums announcing the title track. It's perfect -- thrilling, dramatic, emotional, and I couldn't imagine listening to the album without it.

Those last ten minutes or so of "Moonchild" are a complete waste...meandering, aimless noodling. Kept to 2 or 3 minutes, it wouldn't have been such a blight on an otherwise fine album but it takes up nearly a quarter of its running time.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 22 2011, 05:41 PM)
I've been digging Camel's 80s stuff lately. Especially the instrumentals. Good stuff. Andrew Latimer is one of my favourite musicians.

I really like the song "Down on the Farm"

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 25 2011, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 22 2011, 05:41 PM)
I've been digging Camel's 80s stuff lately. Especially the instrumentals. Good stuff. Andrew Latimer is one of my favourite musicians.

I really like the song "Down on the Farm"

Oh yeah that's a good one! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I remember when listening to 'Dark Side of the Moon' used to feel like a long time to me. I've only just realized that I'm on 'Any Colour You Like' and that the album is almost over. Huh.

The music from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is fukken awesome, and the fan remixes of these songs are also awesome.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 20 2011, 01:12 AM)
Looking back, I'm really kicking myself for not trying to see U2's recent 360 Tour. I had the chance to go on a road trip with a few of my friends to three shows and passed on the opportunity. Damn it.

Don't fret too much. I saw them in Dallas on the Vertigo Tour...that'll be the last time. I mean, if you want to hear loud, distorted music and watch Bono prance around trying desperately to come off as 'cool' ....go, but don't say I didn't warn you. Had to be one of the biggest concert let downs ever for me.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 22 2008, 11:39 PM)
imo it takes a f*cked up mind and a lot of drugs to fully understand jim morrison's work tongue.gif

Do a good, healthy dose of LSD and listen to The Doors and you will "get" him/them.