the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (TeamLerxst @ Mar 26 2011, 12:01 PM)
Taking this one step further, the Kinks were a better all-around group than the Who

No way, I wouldn't go that far, BUT Ray as a songwriter is arguably waaaaaaaaaay underated outside of the UK.

Btw, funny enough I'm just in the middle of a special interview with him where hes playing a lot of the hits on acoustic. Even brought a choir out for Waterloo Sunset...now that is heavenly!!!!! common001.gif

The guitar solo in 'Let It Be' still gives me chills after all these years of listening to the song. The power of George Harrison...what more can be said?

I'm listening to Bona Drag now, and I think it's completely blown the door wide open in terms of me wanting to explore Morrissey's catalog, as well as to explore The Smiths some more. How is it possible that of the 40-odd Morrissey songs that I know, that I only really dislike one?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 25 2011, 07:23 AM)
It's interesting how many debut albums I think are an artist's best.

yeah, if not their first, then definitely their second or third. I hate it but it's true. I wish it werent. Most band's or artist's "essential' part of their catalog can be counted on one hand.

Steven Wilson's playlist shows "Opeth-new album," as if he's saying, "Ha, ha. I'm listening to it and you aren't. It doesn't even have a title, but I'm sitting here listening to it."

The first though in my head was, "Son of a bitch. How rude." angry.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Mar 25 2011, 12:53 AM)
Anyone who has not heard the spectacular music of Mogwai needs to add the albums Come On Die Young and Happy Songs for Happy People to their music library. Right now.

I second this motion--except I'd substitute CoDY with the debut.

I didn't realize how concise 'Octopus' by Gentle Giant is--what a fantastic album!!

Edited by Rush!

QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Apr 7 2011, 08:08 AM)
...is it bad I've started to listen to Porcupine Tree primarily because Steven Wilson is so damn attractive? blush4.gif

I'd say no, we all have a band member we personally drool for, in all the bands that we love blush4.gif ...most of the time, The Rolling Stones would be a perfect example of exceptions rofl3.gif ...but you didn't read this, I wasn't even there wink.gif

I never suspected I'd find out the original singer of a song (Pete Burns -You Spin Me Round) that been covered by one of my favorite band (Indochine) turned into a woman... when curiosity gives you too much informations wacko.gif

QUOTE (PriestfromSyrinx @ Apr 7 2011, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Apr 7 2011, 08:08 AM)
...is it bad I've started to listen to Porcupine Tree primarily because Steven Wilson is so damn attractive?  blush4.gif

I'd say no, we all have a band member we personally drool for, in all the bands that we love blush4.gif ...most of the time, The Rolling Stones would be a perfect example of exceptions rofl3.gif ...but you didn't read this, I wasn't even there wink.gif

I know, there's USUALLY (*cough* Mick Jagger biggrin.gif) one super-attractive member from a band... but at least I started fangirling over Rush's music before I started stalk-- I mean, admiring Geddy ^^; It's not quite the case with PT, sadly. But they are pretty good. They sound like Pink Floyd and Nine Inch Nails' lovechild XD

QUOTE (PriestfromSyrinx @ Apr 7 2011, 02:31 PM)
I never suspected I'd find out the original singer of a song (Pete Burns -You Spin Me Round) that been covered by one of my favorite band (Indochine) turned into a woman... when curiosity gives you too much informations wacko.gif

That song has been covered so much, I don't even know who wrote it ^^