Your 5 most respected producers

Steevo

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 21 2008, 05:04 AM)
For the amazing contributions they have given, here are my top 5 INPO.

notworthy.gif

Daniel Lanois
Max Norman
Butch Vig
Terry Brown
Rick Rubin

(Not just restricted to rock either).

OK..I don't know

Daniel Lanois

Max Norman

So I'll put Mutt Lange on there and at the VERY TOP

Quincy Jones

Brian Eno

Jacknife Lee

Steven Wilson

Hon. Mention goes to Paul Northfield. Might be a dubious choice to some, but considering Snakes & Arrows seems like more of a continuation of the 90's, he must have had some factor in making the album heavier. We could have ended up with another Roll The Bones type album with better guitars.

martin birch

bob ezrin

kevin shirley

terry brown

ted templemen

I haven't seen anyone mention Gary Katz yet. He made all those Steely Dan albums so clean; maybe too clean. And like the case of Rush with Terry Brown, Steely Dan considered Katz to be another member of the band; he was that invaluable to their sound.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 22 2008, 11:40 PM)
I haven't seen anyone mention Gary Katz yet. He made all those Steely Dan albums so clean; maybe too clean. And like the case of Rush with Terry Brown, Steely Dan considered Katz to be another member of the band; he was that invaluable to their sound.

I agree. Katz is the shit. I like the "Too Clean" ....it's what makes Steely Dan.

If you ever want to test speakers out and you want a test cd...throw in Steely Dan. biggrin.gif

Teo Macero

James William Guercio (especially for Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy)

Todd Rundgren

Jerry Wexler

Holland/Dozier/Holland

Good call, lady, with the Teo Macero business. But, even more important than that swinging cat were both Bob Thiele and Creed Taylor. Between those two names, ya have the meat-hooks responsible for the majority of the really great production work done in the 50's, all throughout the 70's. I read a book on Bob Thiele and Impulse record once, and, mingus, was that guy busy. All day, session after session, juggling all kinds of sessions and different musicians. I had an anxiety attack just reading what this guy pulled off on the average day. I can't even imagine the steady hand and careful eye necessary to rock the party with John Coltrane, Oliver Nelson and that crazy, crazy bastid Pharoah Sanders.

In all fairness, these three producers pulled the best stuff out of the best musicians over a pretty large chunk of time. All of that great stuff from Verve, Impulse, CTI, Sony, Colombia. Schitt, ming, if you just add Rudy Van Gelder and Blue Note to the short-list with the three other names you have the four producers responsible for overwhel-ming majority of all classic Jazz. You turn over a classic Jazz LP and you will see one of these four sexy name.

BEST JAZZ PRODUCERS EVA:

Teo Macero

Bob Thiele

Creed Taylor

Rudy Van Gelder

martin birtch!!!!!!

flemming rassmusen

rick rubin

james cavallezo

jim morris

Archived