34 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the six "Rocky" movies is the best

• Rocky
    • Rocky II
    • Rocky III
    • Rocky IV
    • Rocky V
    • Rocky Balboa

I spent all of last night watching Rocky IV (for the second time), Rocky V (for the first/last time) and Rocky Balboa (for the first and possibly last time).

Rocky IV is still weak. Throughout the movie, I kept thinking "your formula is showing"

Rocky V was at least trying to be different, but being different isn't as good if you fail to be a great movie.

Rocky Balboa was just TOO implausible for me. I can't suspend my disbelief THAT much. Still, it was better than IV and V.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 15 2008, 10:01 AM)
I like the first three and the last one. IV and V blow...and blow hard.

Rockys 2 & 3 are the most underrated of the lot.

Rocky Balboa was surprisingly good. I loved having some characters from Rocky I come back for the last movie. Spider Rico, Little Marie and Paulie has been a constant. Paulie mellowed out in his old age. Compare his behavior in Rocky I to Rocky Balboa.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 15 2008, 10:09 AM)
Votes for anything other than the first one must've been done as a joke.

I agree that the first is still the best, but I'd argue that a few others are still very good film. Rocky III is as poignant as any of them, IMO.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 16 2008, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 15 2008, 10:09 AM)
Votes for anything other than the first one must've been done as a joke.

I agree that the first is still the best, but I'd argue that a few others are still very good film. Rocky III is as poignant as any of them, IMO.

trink39.gif

Oh yeah I enjoyed some of the other ones too. III was fun... "Thunderlips is here, in the flesh baby", IV was so bad it was good..."I must break you", and ROCKY BALBOA was much better than I thought it would be.

Rocky 1 kicked ass

Rocky 2 was awesome

Rocky 3 was just SLIGHTLY better than Rocky 2

Honestly, I can't pick between the first three. There are parts of part 3 that are stronger than part 1.

I liked part 3. Something about both Rocky and Mr. T in the same movie is full of win.

Hi Everybody!

When I talk about movies with Anyone, Rocky will always & forever be my favorite; Die Hard, Caddyshack and Halloween round out my faves for the other genres.

Yet, when I say Rocky, I'm meaning the first four of the series; and I chose Rocky II on this poll.

I love the story line and the music always helps me; especially "Going the Distance" from the 1st & 2nd, and the training montage music from the 4th film.

A bit personal here...when the 4th came out at Thanksgiving of '85, my Mom was going through chemo-therapy treatments galore to fight cancer. We already loved Rocky a whole lot; this mega-emphasized the specialness of the character. To see 'Rocko' face his fears = challenges and how he overcame them into victory, just helped Mom, myself & Family deal with the title fight of cancer.

Mom went down for the final count on Wedensday, September 9, 1992.

Mom's my Rock.

My Friends, I thank you for your time.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jul 15 2008, 09:37 AM)
The original is the best, but the second one is really good, too.  The rest are so-so to crap.

uuhhhhh, dont you mean sooo sooo crappy?

laugh.gif

YO! Adrianne? tongue.gif Hadda do it biggrin.gif

Original (1976) all the way. It was better made than the others; the cinematography, the soundtrack, the art direction... this was truly a Best Picture Oscar-winner.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jul 15 2008, 11:08 AM)
I like the first three and the last one.  IV and V blow...and blow hard.

Rocky Balboa was surprisingly good. I loved having some characters from Rocky I come back for the last movie. Spider Rico, Little Marie and Paulie has been a constant. Paulie mellowed out in his old age. Compare his behavior in Rocky I to Rocky Balboa.

I appreciated that he didnt win, and didnt get the girl. All in all a good film. I liked I and II better, III tie, IV bad, V Ive never seen all the way through its so f-cking awful.

I is a classic of course.

"'Ats a name I cam eup with while I was eatin' dinner"

I think around then is when "Yo!" became formally accepted smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jul 15 2008, 11:08 AM)
I like the first three and the last one.  IV and V blow...and blow hard.

I appreciated that he didnt win, and didnt get the girl. All in all a good film. I liked I and II better, III tie, IV bad, V Ive never seen all the way through its so f-cking awful.

I is a classic of course.

"'Ats a name I cam eup with while I was eatin' dinner"

I think around then is when "Yo!" became formally accepted smile.gif

I picked Rocky I btw. I got the impression that Rocky and Little Marie were on their way to something. Jeesh, this is like a soap opera.