What made you a BIG Rush fan?

sullysue

We may all remember the first time we heard Rush, what song it was, and whatnot. (I don't remember the first time or the first song, but you'll forgive me in a minute. smile.gif ) But I can remember the album, my age and my parents reaction to said event. Can you?

1981-sullysue was 13andthreequarters. "Tom Sawyer" by Rush caught my ear. No big deal. Just a very cool song. (Keep in mind I was listening to The Clash and totally into punk. Whatever.) I knew Rush. 2112 was playing on my 8-track. (Yes. 8-track. Aren't I cool? cool.gif ) So... Yeah. I didn't make the connection. Once I paid attention to what was going on, I had tickets to my first Rush concert, and my history with the band was set in stone. I got Exit... Stage Left later that year, and fell into absolute love with this band called Rush. I learned that those songs I had heard: Xanadu, Jacobs Ladder, Beneath, Between, Behind, were staples of the band. I was in LOVE when I heard Exit... Stage Left. I don't care what people say about the production of that live recording. It made me a die hard Rush fan for life.

My parents got me headphones not long after I bought Moving Pictures, but they bought me these really HUGE headphones (not sure what the purpose of those were?) when I got into RUSH full blown.

My mother still cannot fathom that I still act so goofy about them. laugh.gif

I love 'em. Have for forever. That's my story. What's yours?

(been done? don't care. cough up yer stories, damn it!) Love you all. wub.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First heard Tom Sawyer. Cool song, but one of many cool songs played on the radio, ya know?

Then a friend played me Xanadu, urging me to listen closely to the "spacey" intro, to all the subtle sounds carefully crafted into sonic sculpture. Now, up to this point in my young life, I had been conned into thinking hard rockers were out to steal my immortal soul via backwards masking, with Led Zep and Kiss leading the charge. But Xanadu was just so beautiful, it couldn't possibly be true. And then it started rocking, and that was good, too. That, and the incredible beauty of Closer To The Heart, stayed with me for the next few days, and got me to thinking. It seemed like it was impossible for something so artistic, so pure to be evil. Conclusion? The con men belaboring the evils of rock and roll were full of it.

Thus, my purchases of, and obsession with, Rush began. The evil spell was broken. And, not only did I get Rush in the bargain, but that lead to Pink Floyd! And Yes! And Led Zep! The Who! Etc. Etc. Rush gave me their own music, and opened the door to a whole world of other people's music. Thanks, Prince By-Tor!

I had heard Working Man on the radio over and over and over again. Everytime, I thought to myself...man that's a really good song. One day, out of the blue, my freshmen year of highschool, I decided to pick up Rush's Greatest Hits cd, knowing that Working Man was on it. Later that day, my mom played Tom Sawyer for me...and then Xanadu. I knew a revelation had fallen upon me. I put in my Greatest Hits cd and listened to every single song. I found that this band kicked sooooo much ass and that there was not a single song I disliked. Thus was born, GeddyLeefan2112.

When MTV was in it's infancy, they showed live versions of "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" all the time. There were also live versions of "Unchained" and "Hear About it Later," and some Priest stuff too. When I heard those songs, I went across the street to a friends and traded the vinyl of Led Zeppelin IV for his copy of Moving Pictures. I got my first T-shirt throwing darts at the carnival shortly thereafter. 2.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:09 AM)
I had heard Working Man on the radio over and over and over again. Everytime, I thought to myself...man that's a really good song. One day, out of the blue, my freshmen year of highschool, I decided to pick up Rush's Greatest Hits cd, knowing that Working Man was on it. Later that day, my mom played Tom Sawyer for me...and then Xanadu. I knew a revelation had fallen upon me. I put in my Greatest Hits cd and listened to every single song. I found that this band kicked sooooo much ass and that there was not a single song I disliked. Thus was born, GeddyLeefan2112.

And we are all thankful for that day! laugh.gif

wub.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 11 2008, 12:18 AM)
The first time I listened to 2112. I heard 2112 right around the time it was released and have been hooked ever since.

You know, I do remember hearing 2112 at a neighbor's house. It blew me away. BUT! I didn't appreciate Rush at that time. I remember that experience making me think, "Whoa! That is cool!" But, not until I listened to Exit... Stage Left did I experience all of those other classics. It was paramount to my appreciation of this band. ESL turned me around. It made me the Rush geek I am today. cool.gif

My brother had Exit Stage Left on vinyl back in the early eighties, I decided to listen to it one day. I heard YYZ with Neils famous solo. I was already a drum freak at the tender age of six. When I heard that solo I was hooked. I didn't know that anyone could play drums like that. I had never heard anything like it. I had to hear more. From then on I was hooked and never looked back and never will.

2.gif FOREVER

My friend dubbed me ALL of their CDs outisde the few I had about 2 years ago and I listened to them in order....for better than a year. Really came to appreciate the band.

I've since gone and purchased nearly all the CDs legally and the DVDs as well...and it's been wonderful. Kick myself for missing them on tour more times than I dare count in the 1980s.

As far as I remember there was never a single event that suddenly transformed them to my favourite band, it was all very gradual. As I've explained quite a few times before a friend of my Dad loaned all the albums to me in one go, including Geddy Lee's solo album. So I went from having heard The Trees, The Spirit Of Radio and Fly By Night to having the entire discography in one day.

I listened to all the albums, had favourites and ones I didn't rate so much and that began to gradually change to. I started to appreciate more and more stuff and as I realised I liked albums like 2112 and Hemispheres more than I did my current favourites; Van Halen they climbed into first place, knocking Van Halen down a mark. Van Halen are still a great band but have since been knocked down several more places. I honestly believe my top three;

Rush

Genesis

Marillion

Will remain pretty solid now, I can't see any changes in the future for those.

Regarding my parents they never really minded. Neither are Rush fans. I remember my Dad mistaking The Trees for a Led Zeppelin song the first time I played it to him but he can't be blamed his favourite bands are the likes of Simple Minds and U2, who I do enjoy but I have my own favourites. But no he's not a fan, but he never got into Prog Rock anyway really. Same for my Mummy ( laugh.gif ) she has her own music taste and it doesn't include Rush and I'm fine with that.

Discovering the intricacy and power of their music at a time when everything else sounded dull 'n' thuddy.

It was also when I was starting to play guitar, and gradually learning how to play LVS, Bastille Day etc. felt like being given the Keys.

I first heard "Lakeside Park" in 1978.

After that, I purchased "Caress Of Steel" & "Hemispheres" and began listening to them in my YES, King Crimson and WHO rotation.

"Moving Pictures" closed the deal for me though.

As good an album as I have ever heard.

Spring / Summer 1982:

First song heard - Vital Signs on MTV. I liked the song, at first thinking it was a new Supertramp song. After learning that they were Rush, I said to myself"They're a pretty good group"

Later on, I heard Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, and Limelight on MTV. Tom Sawyer. My interest was beginning to grow. They were just as good as Pat Benatar, Jefferson Starship, and Journey as far as I was concerned.

Fall 1982:

Saw the world premiere of "Subdivisions" on MTV. "Hmmm, I really dig that song. I'll ask for the single for Christmas. The video begins like a Norman Lear sitcom like Good Times or All in the Family."

Oh, but wait! The stores didn't have the single 45's! What do I do?! ohmy.gif

Oh, i know! I'll get their new album "Signals" instead.

Christmas Day 1982:

Unusually balmy weather in NC. After listening to "Winds of Change" by Jefferson Starship and "Get Nervous" by Pat Benatar - two other albums I got for Christmas, I put on "Signals".

Whoa!!!!!

That's when it started for me. After I go "whoa!"

Signals got played over and over while I was playing with my Rubik's Revenge cube.

I got hooked on TS and of course the Moving Pictures CD, in middle school. In 10th grade I fell in with a group of people who worshiped at the throne of Rush, and they showed me the light.

I became positively rabid after attending my first Rush show - p/g.

My older cousins used to listen to Rush, so when I first found out that the song "Fly By Night" was by Rush, I asked for that album for Christmas. I was blown away by Bytor and the Snowdog...and then about six months later, Moving Pictures came out, and that was it. I couldn't get enough 2.gif . They have been my favorite band ever since.

It was the first days of music television. No, not MTV. We didn't have that in Italy back then. But there was an italian Mtv, called Videomusic, which was quite brave and wide in tastes. I was just starting to widen my horizons back then, I was into Alan Parsons and Pink Floyd, not much more, hadn't discovered Metal still.

... and one day, Big Money comes up on the screen. HPL's reaction: uh, really weird guys...

Then the next day, again. And the next. HPL's reaction: Man, that drummer is really into it, isn't he?

Weeks of nothing. Maybe months. Then, Mystic Rythms comes up on the screen. HPL's reaction: Hey, it's those Rush guys again. I kinda liked the first song, and I kinda like this one too...

But back then, sadly, I had almost no music budget. I could buy maybe 3 or 4 vinyls IN ONE YEAR. And I knew no one else who was into Rush.

So, time goes on. Then, one day, Time Stand Still comes up on the screen. I was into Till Tuesday so I knew Aimee Mann. HPL's reaction: It's those Rush guys AGAIN. They surely believe in themselves, don't they? And Aimee... wow!!!

Time goes on. One day I stumble across a copy of a music magazine. It was called HM and has to be regarded as one of the best italian music magazines of all times. The people who made it really believed in SPREADING THE MUSIC. So there was this _huge_ piece on the history of Rush, with a full analysis of all their records up to HYF. Sounds interesting.

Time goes on. I have more money. One day, I get Chronicles. I like almost everything on it, but for some unfathomable reason, I don't feel compelled to get the albums. I'm just happy this way. Which is something really unusual for me: all the bands I've come across, I've had to get the whole discography...

Time goes on. Money's not a problem anymore. Been through metal, prog, all kinds of music. Then one day, out of the blue: maybe I should get down to get some real Rush album. I start with GUP. Then, slowly, get almost them all (no, COS isn't there).

Time goes on. Out comes Rush in Rio. Unbelievable excitement. Really couldn't live without that concert. And then, God smiles down to Italy and Rush come to Milano in 2004!! Mystic experience. Best concert of my life.

The point? Rush have been with me a long long time, but there's never been a defining moment, except maybe that first time I saw the Big Money clip. But even then, I didn't buy the album, so no way I became an instant fan. It's been a very strange relationship. But definitely, Rush has been an important portion of my life. There's no denying this.

I've been a fan since I was a kid and my sister had FBN. She would take me roller skating and they played lots of good rock.

I liked them ok growing up and through High School, but when I was 18 my then boyfriend (now exhusband) took me to my first real concert. I was hooked hard core since then. Now I am a bigger fan than he is.

I've seen them 16 times since then and last night was the BEST NIGHT ever, thanks to Michael wub.gif . He gave me a pick and he had a special gift for Digi too.

After I heard Tom Sawyer on the radio, I bought the LP. That was the first time I had ever heard complex song arrangements in time other than 4/4. Being young drummer, I was immediately impressed, and appreciated the musicianship.

One of my friend's parents took us to the ESL show...which was general admission. We worked our way down front, and I was blown away by their chops/technical prowess.

There began the obsession...with Rush...and progressive rock generally.

During 1974 (age 16) in Lansing, Michigan (Where they wrote part of Fly By Night!) the radio station there was playing In The Mood. There was something about Geddy's voice at the time that made me feel this was something unique and different. I personally feel the LP is not really Led Zepplinish at all! Anyways, everyone else I was with at the time was saying "Yew! I can't stand it!" (Stoopid idiots wouldn't know good music if it hit them in the face!)

I then went out and bought the record (you guys remember those flat, black & circular things don't you?) and my favorite on it was Finding My Way. Then when Fly By Night came out & it said part of the LP was written where I was from, those of us who did like the band went bonkers that our silly little capital we mentioned. The rest is all history and I've been in the Chicago are since 1985. What a show on 6/9/08.

So boys & girls, that's the Reader's Digest Condensed version of my story. I'm looking forward to having "my boys" "Keep going on so long" for as long as they're able.

Dan

well, my brother used to drag me around everywhere in his car when I was younger (like 12-15). He had like 3 feet of albums that he would only let me touch because I would put them back in alphabetical order smile.gif

..anyhoo, he would play his car stereo very loudly and when he popped in Permanent waves, I was like whoa!!!!!!!!!!! I was mesmerized!!!

Then when I heard Moving pictures I was a wacko for Rush smile.gif

I also got into Kansas, Yes, and Genesis due to his awesome record collection!! 1022.gif

Needless to say none of my friends were into the same music, but when I got into high school, I met some very cool 2.gif peeps who got me!

It was 1980 or 1981. I was 13 or 14. My older cousin had a boom box. I was over his house and he said check this song out.

He pops the cassette in the boom box and it was none other than The Spirit of Radio. I had never heard Rush or heard of Rush before that.

I was blown away. I bought my own copy of Permanent Waves as soon as I scraped the $ together.

But here is what sealed the deal. I wasn't finished fully digesting Permanent Waves when they released Moving Pictures.

I bought Moving Pictures and before I finished listening to side one, Rush had officially become my favorite band of all time. And there they remain.

As someone else posted here and I couldn't agree more, "Rush ceased being mortals when they released Moving Pictures."

When I heard Presto for the first time.... Just kidding.

It was honestly, because of Rock Band the game. My friend decided to choose to play Tom Sawyer and I didn't really like it that much (it doesnt sound too good in the game) later that night my friend burnt me a CD with the real Tom Sawyer on it and I decided Rush was a band that I would like to know more about. So I looked on my Dad's computer and found a huge database of Rush music I have been a die-hard fan ever since!

It all happened pretty gradually for me, really. After I heard Tom Sawyer and Freewill in Florida, I got myself a best of (Spirit) when I got home, and just took it from there. I don't remember any order of getting the albums.

One of the times I played the best of CD at work, my now friend Richard popped his head round the door during Closer To The Heart, and says "Hey, that's Rush!" (or something of the like) biggrin.gif He's been a major fan since the mid 80s.

We didn't really talk much until that day. We're friends because of 2.gif ! 1022.gif

He lent me some CDs and records to encourage me into them. tongue.gif

But I think I really became fanatical after joining this forum! laugh.gif

Archived