What made you a BIG Rush fan?

sullysue

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Fly By Night first; but I really didn't pay to much attention when Bing, and old friend said to me: Check these guys out. I think you'll really like 'em! I listened to a couple of cuts, [i can't remember which... Probably Anthem and BBB] thought they were 'alright'; but, at the time, I was more into BOC, Nazareth, Aerosmith -stuff of THAT ilk.

Some years later, when AFTKs was HOT off the press, I just happened to walk into a friend's house while he and his brother were blazing up, just flipping the LP to begin to side II.

Karl says to his brother: 'Wait a minute, Kurt... ...Sam, you've got to smoke some of this and check out a tune!'

So, Karl hands me the number [and I did partake cool10.gif ] and while Kurt flips the LP back to the A side and ques up THE song, Karl proceeds to strap a pair of Koss headphones on my head.

I still walk The Caves Of Ice. yes.gif

QUOTE (kansas666 @ Jun 12 2008, 03:45 PM)
back in high school in '77 some friends played some Rush for me. I just heard a guy screaming. Then they took me to see Rush on the 2112 tour and I started to get it. My freshman year in college a friend bought AFtK and I became a convert. Another friend lent me AtWaS and I really dug it. I went out and bought Archives and 2112 and really enjoyed comparing the studio versions to the live versions. Hemispheres came out and I was blown away. Permanent Waves was pretty cool and I got into side one of Moving Pictures. After that....wtf.gif

so, literally while listening to MP right after limelight you said "omg this sux?"

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jun 12 2008, 11:06 AM)
Okay, here's a long story.

In the 70s, I used to get Circus Magazine, and I knew Rush vaguely as the dorky-looking sci-fi band with the squeaky-voiced singer, and didn't care much about them one way or the other.  Then when I was in high school, Moving Pictures hit big.  It was EVERYWHERE and I did not like it.  I thought Geddy's voice was the most awful thing I'd ever heard, that the lyrics to "Tom Sawyer" were painfully stupid.

I kept that overall negative impression for many years.  Then in the mid-90s I became close friends with a big Rush fan.  He and I don't have similar tastes about most things, and I made fun of his love for them for years.  I developed a kind of affection for them just because they reminded me of him, but I couldn't get into the music.  I just didn't feel it.  It was always "Wow, Geddy is an amazing bassist, I wish I liked this music more but oh God that annoying voice and that overplaying show-off drummer!"  I did come to like a few of their songs, and when I was taking voice lessons a few years ago I worked on a couple of those because Geddy's range was good for me.

At some point in 2006 I guess, I caught an hour's worth of highlights from the R30 video on VH1.  I watched it out of professional curiosity, and was able to see how great their energy is onstage and how much they enjoy playing.  That really comes through!  That impressed me, but didn't think much further about it until last year in June when I found out that Rush were coming to the PNC in July.  When I heard about that, I thought "I remember that video, that looks like a good show.  And they'll play at least a few of the handful of songs that I like, might as well go just for something to do."  I'd been having a pretty rough year up to that point, lawn tickets were cheap and I needed a distraction, so it just seemed like a good idea.

So I went.  And...WOW.  I mean, WOW.  It was an incredible show.  I'll never forget standing in the grass in my bare feet rocking with the basslines, watching on the screen for Alex and Geddy to BWAH at each other, feeling young and alive for the first time in a very long time.  I was so high from it afterwards that at the rest stop on the parkway on the way home I kept wanting to go up to everyone who came in wearing a Rush shirt and do something like this yes.gif and say "It was GOOD, wasn't it!"  I probably should have, but I was too shy and didn't know how cool Rush fans are, so I didn't.  But I loved the new songs at the gig, and I'd been amazed at how great Geddy's singing sounded, his voice still distinctively his but so much richer and more soulful.  So I went out and got the new album, and signed up here to see what other people were saying, met some cool people here who encouraged me in the ways of Rush and whammo...there I was, a fan, suddenly really liking a lot of songs that I'd heard over the years but just, somehow, never really HEARD.  It's been growing since then!

If I wasn't a BIG fan before Detroit, I certainly am now!  The incredible experience of megasupercool TRF meet-ups around an amazing show at which I stood with one of my best Rush buddies in the 2nd row right in front of Geddy sent me into the stratosphere.  So at the end of the day, that's what really made me a BIG Rush fan -- them, and all of you!

THANK YOU wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif  2.gif

That's a great story GM new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I have had that same feeling with some bands as I am sure alot of people do. You allowed yourself to give Rush a try as time went by and they... GOT YOU laugh.gif tongue.gif Geddy has a way of doing that yes.gif I am glad you enjoy their music. Welcome Aboard!! biggrin.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Great story GeddysMullet.

What's recently got me all fired up again Rush-wise (after a few years of only occasional indulgence) was Alex's appearance in Trailer Park Boys, which I only discovered in March. The end of the episode was so damn sweet it almost made me cry, so that night I found myself perusing the R section of my records once again....kaboom!!

I think it was when I started learning Rush songs on guitar. I learned Tom Sawyer and Distant Early Warning in one day and I tried to nail the entire first disc of Rush in Rio. After that, I sat down and listened to the entire concert and bought the DVD and watched that, and said "DAMN I need me some Rush albums NOW!" Went out and got 2112 smile.gif

After learning of Geddy's incredibly high voice back in the 70's I knew Rush was the most ultimate band in the world. From there I collected every album and loved it. Some were harder than others to love at first but they all grew on me. Some of you probably read my posts a while back about thinking Presto sucked. Well that all changed smile.gif That was the last album I needed to grow accustomed to.

I know that I will always be a Rush fan and nothing can change that.

I first heard Rush when the kids at school were raving about Tom Sawyer. A friend of mine liked the song, so for her birthday, I bought her the Moving Pictures album. In return, she bought me one for my birthday a month later. Then we moved on to other genres of music. I was a closet rock fan, as my friends were all into new wave & punk back then.

I transferred schools, and a year later my boyfriend at the time was a huge Rush fan. He knew how to play all of their songs on the drums. So, he is the one who got me "back" as a fan.

Wonder whatever became of him?

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 14 2008, 09:12 PM)
I know that I will always be a Rush fan and nothing can change that.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:04 AM)
For me it was seeing them live for the first time last leg. I was just a hit only fan then. That show transformed me into the Rush monster I am today!

Taylor, you've only been a diehard for a year? Impressive!

As for me, I was about 4 (yes, 4) and my dad had this mix tape in the car, and Xanadu was on it. I remember singing one part and telling my dad to "play that part again!". He would then tell me that the first part of the song was called an "instrumental", but the song was not. I think he also had Moving Pictures on cassette, and I remember a few years later riding to some model train store and listening to (you'll love this, Taylor) Red Barchetta, complete with our own sound effects!

Xanadu (music video version)

Look at the time from 1:38 to 2:10 and that's what I'm talking about. 1022.gif

In 1981, I was 11 and my brother was in high school. I had heard Rush before and liked them. But when he brought home Moving Pictures, and played YYZ, I was blown away. I started buying their albums with the money I earned from cutting lawns. Then Signals came out, and at my young age, I was able to work out a way to see them on that tour. The cherry on top came when Exit Stage Left came out and I heard Jacob's Ladder while staring at the stars while hanging at the lake. It was all over then.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 14 2008, 04:19 PM)

OOOHHH MYYYYYY drool1.gif 1022.gif That doth Rock!

I have it on a DVD but it is buried, Sooo good to see this! trink39.gif

Thanks new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jun 14 2008, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 14 2008, 04:19 PM)

OOOHHH MYYYYYY drool1.gif 1022.gif That doth Rock!

I have it on a DVD but it is buried, Sooo good to see this! trink39.gif

Thanks new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oh no, Lady, your DVD is buried? sad.gif Glad to know that Xanny-dew could help ya out! smile.gif

QUOTE (ontheroad @ Jun 12 2008, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (sundog @ Jun 11 2008, 09:04 AM)
I've been a fan since I was a kid and my sister had FBN.  She would take me roller skating and they played lots of good rock.

I liked them ok growing up and through High School, but when I was 18 my then boyfriend (now exhusband) took me to my first real concert.  I was hooked hard core since then.  Now I am a bigger fan than he is.

I've seen them 16 times since then and last night was the BEST NIGHT ever, thanks to Michael wub.gif .  He gave me a pick and he had a special gift for Digi too.

Sundog,

It was very nice meeting YOU, but it wasn't Michael you met. It was the other Praetorian. I am much better looking than Michael! hehe.

Oh blush4.gif

Then you remember. biggrin.gif

I had been a mild to moderate fan of Rush for a couple of years, but the thing that sent me over the edge into full fledged Rush fandom was my guitar instructor teaching me the opening lick to Xanadu.

There was something about that pattern of notes played on the top two strings (I have since seen that Alex uses 10th fret on the G string where i would use an open high E string!) Then there was the opening riff that repeated until that wonderful rhythmic burst of chords from Emaj down to Gmaj.

And then of course there are the bar chords played with the high B and E strings left to ring open. If I am not mistaken, this was the first time Alex used those chords in a recorded song. Of course, those chords are all over Hemispheres (the song) and Spirit of Radio. Big, thick, fat chords that make a 6 string sound like a 12 string, only better!

But I can remember sitting there watching my guitar instructors fingers as he played that opening line and thinking, "Wow, this sounds like the kind of thing I really want to play! I really need to learn this song."

That opened up many doors for me as far as being a Rush fan.

Archived