What made you a BIG Rush fan?

sullysue

2112!

About 2 years ago I asked my dad to borrow it after hearing Tom Sawyer and TSOR and the like on the radio, and I'm still in love. wub.gif

Soon after I went out and bought the Gold compilation, and things pretty much exploded from there.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like everyone else, I heard Tom Sawyer on the radio, and I was totally blown away, it was like nothing I was listening to at the time (Green Day, whatever was on Fuse or MTV2), then my bass teacher mentioned liking Rush, and he told me about how he got into it, ect ect.

Later that week I went out to buy their greatest hits album, and from that point on, I dropped everything else I was listening to.

Then I saw them on the first leg of the S&A tour, and I got more into Rush, huge fan ever since, ect ect

My friend played Hemispheres for me on a car trip to San Francisco, and then gave me some of his old CDs. I think it was Power Windows that really grabbed me, though (bought it off iTunes). That and watching YouTube clips of the guys performing live. I immediately went out and bought the Show of Hands DVD after seeing some of the clips.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 11 2008, 12:09 PM)
As far as I remember there was never a single event that suddenly transformed them to my favourite band, it was all very gradual.

I totally agree with the comment. My first album I heard was AFtK, which was around '78 and I heard the good times, the early albums and the bad (for me) Signals and GUP. but I fell in love with the Boys in the 90's with albums like Counterparts and ToE. It was the quality of the music I love, and for me it always the music.

I have told this story MANY times on here.

Spring 1981, 8th grade field day. Hamden, CT.

My friend Tom was playing his new "boom box" (AM/FM stereo WITH cassette!!!) Tom Sawyer comes on the radio, I ask him who it is. He replies, "I don't know...I think it's The Cars. I knew it wasn't.... but we still didn't know who it was.....

Tom Sawyer got TONS of airplay up there, as well as: Spirit of Radio, and Freewill...not to mention Exit...Stage Left came out after that with Closer to the Heart, and Tom Sawyer on all the time. But still I didn't know the name 2.gif ....

Shortly after that my sister was watching Caddyshack on HBO with one of her friends...The part where Rodney Dangerfeild cranks Anyway You Want it, by Journey, on his golf bag stereo, comes on and this friend yells," 2.gif "!!!! I knew it was Journey....but it also hinted that the mystery band I loved so much was probably 2.gif....some quick research confirmed my suspicions!!!!!

Around the same time, or shortly after, MTV was just starting out and Vital Signs, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight were staples!!!

It was great!!!!

I was now able to put pictures and video of the band I was, from that point on, in love with.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jun 11 2008, 10:26 PM)
The Trees, Closer to the Heart, and then I saw a picture of AlexFinal.gif  wub.gif

Love at first sight? biggrin.gif

I've know about Rush my whole life and have always liked them. Limelight, Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions all play a particular part in my childhood and although remind me of darker days leave a feeling of the once desire to escape and discover true happiness and be liked and appreciated. Strange, in a sense, because isn't that the underlying theme of those songs? The irony kills.

But anyway I never became a BIG fan until about 2 years ago. I can now narrow it down to 2 things.

Xanadu's music on ESL and Geddy's thighs drool1.gif

banghead.gif

I would always notice Rush on the radio when I was younger. I liked that really energetic rock song that broke into a neat reggae beat at the end.... Then one day I asked my mom what song was playing. She told me it was The Spirit of the Radio. She told me that I always asked her that question whenever that song played. I was about 11 years old at that time. Then about 6 months later she was walking around in Wal Mart and noticed The Spirit of The Radio compilation album.... She bought it and brought it back to me in the car. She said, "Wow I can't believe they had this at Wal Mart.... I saw it and had to buy it. Rush was my favorite band when I was a teenager!" Then she played The Trees for me, I really liked it, and I had this weird feeling that this was the same band that played the really cool song on the radio. I flipped around tracks and found TSOR. I then told my mom,"Hey I really think I like this song, but I'm not sure..... I've been wondering what band this is for awhile" She giggled and told me it was 2.gif and she told me that I had always liked that song. I then asked her when they were popular. She told me she saw them in the eightees but didn't know what had happened to them since then. I then played all the other tracks....and really really liked them. I asked my mom to play Rush in the car all of the time. Then one day she walked out of Barnes and Noble with Hemispheres. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but as I listened I really enjoyed it. I liked the idea that the song Cygnus X-1 was like a story. La Villa Strangiato was really weird for me so I always used to skip it, but after about a month I couldn't stop listening to it. My mom got me Caress of Steel next and I thought it was kinda strange as well, but once again, I ended up loving it. Afterwards she got me another compilation album and I just thought to myself, "How could one band just make so many good songs?" After that I started toggling with more old school rock, and found that there is a lot more out there that I like than I had previously thought. One night I went to my auntie's house.... It turns out she had Rio. I couldn't believe Rush was still around and I really wanted to hear it, but I was crossing my fingers, hoping they would sound as good live as they did on the albums. But that Time I had gotten 2112 and Moving Pictures. After 3 hours of amazing music on my aunt's big screen....I decided I was an official 2.gif fan.

I found TRF a few years later...... 653.gif

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/redscaledpirhana/IMGP2733.jpg

In 1977, one of our babysitter's boyfriends left this behind at our house. I put it on the record player and knew right there and then, I was to be a Rush for life.

I've been carting this old album around ever since.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 10 2008, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 11 2008, 12:18 AM)
The first time I listened to 2112. I heard 2112 right around the time it was released and have been hooked ever since.

You know, I do remember hearing 2112 at a neighbor's house. It blew me away. BUT! I didn't appreciate Rush at that time. I remember that experience making me think, "Whoa! That is cool!" But, not until I listened to Exit... Stage Left did I experience all of those other classics. It was paramount to my appreciation of this band. ESL turned me around. It made me the Rush geek I am today. cool.gif

It's funny you mentioned that. I also had heard Rush a few times and enjoyed it but never really thought about them much, this was back in 76'. My friend's mom worked at a drug store and she could get great discounts on anything in the store. Well, my friend owed me a favor and said go pick out a few albums and I will get them for you. biggrin.gif As I was browsing I saw ATWAS and the drum kit/stage on the cover. That was all I needed to see to give it a try. Haven't looked back since 653.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

BTW... I wore that thing out big time laugh.gif Drove my mom wacko.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 11 2008, 04:25 PM)
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/redscaledpirhana/IMGP2733.jpg

In 1977, one of our babysitter's boyfriends left this behind at our house. I put it on the record player and knew right there and then, I was to be a Rush for life.

I've been carting this old album around ever since.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif OMG that's how mine ended up looking after a few yrs. That is sooooo cool. Brings back the memories!! biggrin.gif 653.gif 1022.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

For me it was all about the drums in TS.....When I was a young teen I became infected with the God of drums....After that I was soon snagged by how hard it was to airdrum along with TS....So, I bot my first album. Moving Pictures......A day or two after the first one I bot up like 5 more rush albums immediately.

Rush was my teacher. Neil was like my father....

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jun 11 2008, 05:18 PM)
I've know about Rush my whole life and have always liked them. Limelight, Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions all play a particular part in my childhood and although remind me of darker days leave a feeling of the once desire to escape and discover true happiness and be liked and appreciated. Strange, in a sense, because isn't that the underlying theme of those songs? The irony kills.

banghead.gif

You'd have to stick The Analog Kid in with that same theme, I think. Kid wants OUT of his hometown, go explore the world. . .

At the time I saw the abbreviated Rush In Rio show on TV, I owned Exit...Stage Left and Moving Pictures (and maybe 2112 or Permanent Waves). I really loved Bangkok, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, and Jacob's Ladder. Well, I was excited to see this show, and 3 songs vividly stand out in my memory from that night- Earthshine, La Villa, and, most clearly, Natural Science. I was absolutely blown away by that, so I looked it up on Amazon and saw that there was another hour and a half of songs! So, the next day or the day after that, I went to Borders and bought Rio. After I watched that, I was 100% hooked. The rest is a Rush-induced blur, with the 4 shows (especially my first one and my near first row Houston seats being the most vivid of those) and waiting around for and the release of S&A being a few of the really clear spots.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 11 2008, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Jun 11 2008, 05:18 PM)

banghead.gif

You'd have to stick The Analog Kid in with that same theme, I think. Kid wants OUT of his hometown, go explore the world. . .

and I do love that song smile.gif It is all coming together now. trink39.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Jun 11 2008, 09:04 AM)
I've been a fan since I was a kid and my sister had FBN.  She would take me roller skating and they played lots of good rock.

I liked them ok growing up and through High School, but when I was 18 my then boyfriend (now exhusband) took me to my first real concert.  I was hooked hard core since then.  Now I am a bigger fan than he is.

I've seen them 16 times since then and last night was the BEST NIGHT ever, thanks to Michael wub.gif .  He gave me a pick and he had a special gift for Digi too.

Sundog,

It was very nice meeting YOU, but it wasn't Michael you met. It was the other Praetorian. I am much better looking than Michael! hehe.

Okay, here's a long story.

In the 70s, I used to get Circus Magazine, and I knew Rush vaguely as the dorky-looking sci-fi band with the squeaky-voiced singer, and didn't care much about them one way or the other. Then when I was in high school, Moving Pictures hit big. It was EVERYWHERE and I did not like it. I thought Geddy's voice was the most awful thing I'd ever heard, that the lyrics to "Tom Sawyer" were painfully stupid.

I kept that overall negative impression for many years. Then in the mid-90s I became close friends with a big Rush fan. He and I don't have similar tastes about most things, and I made fun of his love for them for years. I developed a kind of affection for them just because they reminded me of him, but I couldn't get into the music. I just didn't feel it. It was always "Wow, Geddy is an amazing bassist, I wish I liked this music more but oh God that annoying voice and that overplaying show-off drummer!" I did come to like a few of their songs, and when I was taking voice lessons a few years ago I worked on a couple of those because Geddy's range was good for me.

At some point in 2006 I guess, I caught an hour's worth of highlights from the R30 video on VH1. I watched it out of professional curiosity, and was able to see how great their energy is onstage and how much they enjoy playing. That really comes through! That impressed me, but didn't think much further about it until last year in June when I found out that Rush were coming to the PNC in July. When I heard about that, I thought "I remember that video, that looks like a good show. And they'll play at least a few of the handful of songs that I like, might as well go just for something to do." I'd been having a pretty rough year up to that point, lawn tickets were cheap and I needed a distraction, so it just seemed like a good idea.

So I went. And...WOW. I mean, WOW. It was an incredible show. I'll never forget standing in the grass in my bare feet rocking with the basslines, watching on the screen for Alex and Geddy to BWAH at each other, feeling young and alive for the first time in a very long time. I was so high from it afterwards that at the rest stop on the parkway on the way home I kept wanting to go up to everyone who came in wearing a Rush shirt and do something like this yes.gif and say "It was GOOD, wasn't it!" I probably should have, but I was too shy and didn't know how cool Rush fans are, so I didn't. But I loved the new songs at the gig, and I'd been amazed at how great Geddy's singing sounded, his voice still distinctively his but so much richer and more soulful. So I went out and got the new album, and signed up here to see what other people were saying, met some cool people here who encouraged me in the ways of Rush and whammo...there I was, a fan, suddenly really liking a lot of songs that I'd heard over the years but just, somehow, never really HEARD. It's been growing since then!

If I wasn't a BIG fan before Detroit, I certainly am now! The incredible experience of megasupercool TRF meet-ups around an amazing show at which I stood with one of my best Rush buddies in the 2nd row right in front of Geddy sent me into the stratosphere. So at the end of the day, that's what really made me a BIG Rush fan -- them, and all of you!

THANK YOU wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif 2.gif

back in high school in '77 some friends played some Rush for me. I just heard a guy screaming. Then they took me to see Rush on the 2112 tour and I started to get it. My freshman year in college a friend bought AFtK and I became a convert. Another friend lent me AtWaS and I really dug it. I went out and bought Archives and 2112 and really enjoyed comparing the studio versions to the live versions. Hemispheres came out and I was blown away. Permanent Waves was pretty cool and I got into side one of Moving Pictures. After that....wtf.gif

QUOTE (kansas666 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:45 PM)
back in high school in '77 some friends played some Rush for me. I just heard a guy screaming. Then they took me to see Rush on the 2112 tour and I started to get it. My freshman year in college a friend bought AFtK and I became a convert. Another friend lent me AtWaS and I really dug it. I went out and bought Archives and 2112 and really enjoyed comparing the studio versions to the live versions. Hemispheres came out and I was blown away. Permanent Waves was pretty cool and I got into side one of Moving Pictures. After that....wtf.gif

Welcome. 2nd post and you're bitching already? laugh.gif

Archived