2nd leg drum solo question

theredtamasrule

Was curious if Neil made any changes to the electronic portion of his drum solo this go around. I wasn't all that thrilled with those mechanical/metallic sounds on the previous leg of the tour. If I had to bet I'd say he didn't change it.

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ May 2 2008, 10:16 AM)
At 4:47 he goes "bum bum ditta bum de dum" rather than "bum diggita bum bum bum"

That's the only change I've heard about.

Drum Spoilers ..... Jeeeeesh!

I know. But if I didn't put *spoiler* in the title there would be people squalling like mashed cats.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ May 2 2008, 09:34 AM)
It was the same as the S&A Live recording in Rotterdam... at least at the Orlando show. Not my favorite solo from Neil, but anything he does is worth listening to!

Yeah, it's not my favorite solo from him either. Of course, you can't really say it's BAD, when techincally it's very good. At least he's trying something different.

I found the solo at the Houston show to be fairly different from the S& A Live version. Much higher tempo, rearranged the parts. Sorry, I'm not a drummer (ist?), or I could describe it better.

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ May 2 2008, 09:16 AM)
At 4:47 he goes "bum bum ditta bum de dum" rather than "bum diggita bum bum bum"

oh man, I noticed that exact same thing!!! yes.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

look out people, Tamas started another thread. "That's It" part deux?

by the way I agree with that metallic drum sound you refer to. My ears did not dig it.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 2 2008, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ May 2 2008, 09:34 AM)
It was the same as the S&A Live recording in Rotterdam... at least at the Orlando show.  Not my favorite solo from Neil, but anything he does is worth listening to!

Yeah, it's not my favorite solo from him either. Of course, you can't really say it's BAD, when techincally it's very good. At least he's trying something different.

It seems like a little nod to the Stomp phenomenon. I thought it was cool live, but I don't enjoy it much on S&A Live.

Actually, that can apply to any of his drum solos.

Live = very cool 1022.gif

Recorded = yawn schla03.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 2 2008, 04:42 PM)
look out people, Tamas started another thread. "That's It" part deux?

by the way I agree with that metallic drum sound you refer to. My ears did not dig it.

1022.gif

I was really just curious if he's using different sound samples this time around. One of my favorites is his tympani samples on "The Rythym Method" from A Show of Hands but I guess my favorite solo was from the Vapor Trails Tour.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 2 2008, 09:04 AM)
Was curious if Neil made any changes to the electronic portion of his drum solo this go around. I wasn't all that thrilled with those mechanical/metallic sounds on the previous leg of the tour.

I think it is extremely badass. Only the second major overhaul of the solo in his career - much more entertaining than hearing the same one from 1974 over and over. I tended to zone out during the solo up until the Vapor Trails tour.

i would love to see neil stop using samples altogether. i want the old school solo, drum's and percussion and nothing else. trink39.gif

During the 2nd leg, this drum solo definately stands out alot more compared to even last leg in 2007. More direct, yet melodical....fantastic build up and ending (acoustic solo). In fact, I think its the best solo I've heard him do "LIVE" since I became a fan (Test for Echo tour).

Regarding the electronic kit portion....for Neil, its cool, but I've heard it enough.

I think my favorite solo by Neil in it's entirety is the "Exit State Left" solo....priceless!!

QUOTE (SpiritofXanadu @ May 10 2008, 12:03 AM)
During the 2nd leg, this drum solo definately stands out alot more compared to even last leg in 2007. More direct, yet melodical....fantastic build up and ending (acoustic solo). In fact, I think its the best solo I've heard him do "LIVE" since I became a fan (Test for Echo tour).

Regarding the electronic kit portion....for Neil, its cool, but I've heard it enough.

I think my favorite solo by Neil in it's entirety is the "Exit State Left" solo....priceless!!

Excuse me if i'm wrong but the 2007 & 2008 drum solos are virtually the same?

QUOTE (SpiritofXanadu @ May 9 2008, 06:03 PM)

my thoughts eggszakklee

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ May 9 2008, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritofXanadu @ May 10 2008, 12:03 AM)
During the 2nd leg, this drum solo definately stands out alot more compared to even last leg in 2007. More direct, yet melodical....fantastic build up and ending (acoustic solo).  In fact, I think its the best solo I've heard him do "LIVE" since I became a fan (Test for Echo tour).

Excuse me if i'm wrong but the 2007 & 2008 drum solos are virtually the same?

Not the two shows I saw.

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ May 2 2008, 09:16 AM)

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Personally, having not heard a Neil solo in several decades, I don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm not a drummer. However, I can't say I particularly liked all of what he put forth when I saw them in Dallas last month. Drum solo = good; sampled brass and Buddy Rich tribute-sounding stuff - :yawn:. Drum solo on recording = no.gif

But hey, that's just my opinion.

K

Archived