Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:28 PM)
So my new issue of that evil prog-hating magazine Rolling Stone had this to say about the new album:

Porcupine Tree, The Incident  4 Stars (out of 5)
British prog-rockers aim high and deliver big
"I was born in '67/The year of Sgt. Pepper and Are You Experienced?": Steven Wilson, singer-founder of this defiantly progressive-rock British band, puts his ideals up front in "Time Flies," the propulsive, grand-jangle heart of The Incident. He is as good as his reach. The title suite on this two-CD set is the Tree's finest hour: a mounting drama of memoir and real-news trauma, animated with slicing guitars, ghost-song electronics, mile-high harmonies, and smart pop bait. The action is rich in classicism - add King Crimson and early Genesis to Wilson's list of high standards, which all come with renewed life. DAVID FRICKE

Was that Jimi/Beatles reference enough to coax Fricke into actually appreciating the music despite its proginess? Or is RS finally lightening up on all the prog hating in general?

Fricke is usually pretty good. I remember he's talked up PT before (around the time of FOABP) and he included a favorable comparison to Rush in his writeup. Fricke and Rob Sheffield are usually pretty legit as far as RS writers go.

Yeah. David Fricke is a pretty good critic.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 05:28 PM)
So my new issue of that evil prog-hating magazine Rolling Stone had this to say about the new album:

Porcupine Tree, The Incident  4 Stars (out of 5)
British prog-rockers aim high and deliver big
"I was born in '67/The year of Sgt. Pepper and Are You Experienced?": Steven Wilson, singer-founder of this defiantly progressive-rock British band, puts his ideals up front in "Time Flies," the propulsive, grand-jangle heart of The Incident. He is as good as his reach. The title suite on this two-CD set is the Tree's finest hour: a mounting drama of memoir and real-news trauma, animated with slicing guitars, ghost-song electronics, mile-high harmonies, and smart pop bait. The action is rich in classicism - add King Crimson and early Genesis to Wilson's list of high standards, which all come with renewed life. DAVID FRICKE

I never heard them referred to as "The Tree" before. Anyway, while I generally dont care what those elitist bastards at Rolling Stone say, I'd be lying to you if I said it didn't please me to read this blurb and see PT get some nice recognition.

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 30 2009, 05:38 PM)
Somebody want to point me in the right direction in terms of where to begin with PT? I have heard only a handful of songs which, unfortunately, didn't interest me all that much. I found them to be rather boring. What are some easily accessible song by them? Thanks. trink36.gif

Im going to recommend Deadwing, the album that first got me into them and my favorite overall PT album to this date. Perfect mix of shorter, heavier songs, and longer, proggy tunes.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 27 2009, 03:06 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 27 2009, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:25 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 26 2009, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Hear Again @ Sep 26 2009, 07:22 PM)
Call the venue.........
http://www.queenelizabeththeatre.ca/contact.html

I spoke to Bruno today.

Take Care

Well my ticket is a balcony seat so i dont think it is genral admission up there...

And mine say Left Orch., Row A; so I don't think anywhere is GA.

We need to arrange a meet up of TRFers....to let you know I'm staying at Skydome Hotel. Will be in TO about 2:30-3pm on Wed.

Is that near the venue? I probably won't be leaving the Falls until that time, so I'll be in Toronto around 5 or so. A meetup sounds good if everything works out.

No unfortunately not (downtown) but hope to arrange some meetup near the venue....don't know any of the restaurants/bars near there but will see what I can find.

So any ideas for a meetup? Who here is all going to the show tomorrow night?

K I got a message from Bastille night that he will be at Brazen Head pub on Liberty Street....around 5:00-6:00pm so I'll probably be there....just to let you guys know who are going to the show and want to hook up. Hope to see you there! trink39.gif

Sorry man, was planning on going there for a drink, but we got a little lost trying to find the venue so by the time we got there, it was almost time to go in. Though while waiting in line, the people behind us were actually the organizers of Rushcon, so I got to talk to them for a bit.

The show was incredible, especially sitting front row. Seeing The Incident live defenitely made me like the album more. The sound in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre was great too. King's X was also good, better than I expected.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Oct 1 2009, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 27 2009, 03:06 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 27 2009, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:25 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 26 2009, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Hear Again @ Sep 26 2009, 07:22 PM)
Call the venue.........
http://www.queenelizabeththeatre.ca/contact.html

I spoke to Bruno today.

Take Care

Well my ticket is a balcony seat so i dont think it is genral admission up there...

And mine say Left Orch., Row A; so I don't think anywhere is GA.

We need to arrange a meet up of TRFers....to let you know I'm staying at Skydome Hotel. Will be in TO about 2:30-3pm on Wed.

Is that near the venue? I probably won't be leaving the Falls until that time, so I'll be in Toronto around 5 or so. A meetup sounds good if everything works out.

No unfortunately not (downtown) but hope to arrange some meetup near the venue....don't know any of the restaurants/bars near there but will see what I can find.

So any ideas for a meetup? Who here is all going to the show tomorrow night?

K I got a message from Bastille night that he will be at Brazen Head pub on Liberty Street....around 5:00-6:00pm so I'll probably be there....just to let you guys know who are going to the show and want to hook up. Hope to see you there! trink39.gif

Sorry man, was planning on going there for a drink, but we got a little lost trying to find the venue so by the time we got there, it was almost time to go in. Though while waiting in line, the people behind us were actually the organizers of Rushcon, so I got to talk to them for a bit.

The show was incredible, especially sitting front row. Seeing The Incident live defenitely made me like the album more. The sound in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre was great too. King's X was also good, better than I expected.

You met up with Jillian and Bev?

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 03:45 PM)
Random question (as I listen to it): HOW FREAKING GREAT IS HALO???

Ok, I'm done..

Love Halo! The middle section is the best with the funky time sig.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 03:51 PM)
Is it me, or is the heavy riff in the middle of "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (after the little drum break) one of the best riffs ever? That riff just kills.

Just listening to it now. Wow, I forgot how phenomenal this song is.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 2 2009, 07:35 PM)
Is it me, or is the heavy riff in the middle of "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (after the little drum break) one of the best riffs ever? That riff just kills.

Yeah, that's definitely one of my favorite PT songs. What a fantatic album opener!

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Oct 2 2009, 05:11 PM)

Yeah, that's definitely one of my favorite PT songs. What a fantatic album opener!

I just put it on. It does rock ass, that's fo sho.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 2 2009, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Oct 2 2009, 05:11 PM)

I just put it on. It does rock ass, that's fo sho.

it passed the test of blowing my hair back.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 2 2009, 07:32 PM)
Porcupine Tree are SO close to being tied with Rush for my favorite band.

one more brilliant album.........and itll be an official tie cool.gif

I know exactly what you mean. Rush and PT are the only bands (well, Marillion is up there) that don't make me roll my eyes with boredom these days. The element of surprise from Porcupine Tree is what keeps me hooked. And, not just album to album, but song to song. Almost every time I listen to their music, I hear something new that I didn't catch before. It's the richness, depth and complexity of their music, like Rush, that is addictive. I can't get enough of them. It makes me down right giddy.

I can dig that, and I'm relatively new to them. Can't quite put them in the Rush league, but they're amazing alright. I'm so thankful for TRF for introducing a lot of new stuff I might otherwise would never have found, or at least took a longer time to catch it, missed the tours etc (if we ever get them) trink39.gif Edited by Steevo

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 2 2009, 08:18 PM)
I can dig that, and I'm relatively new to them. Can't quite put them in the Rush league, but they're amazing alright. I'm so thankful for TRF for introducing a lot of new stuff I might otherwise would never have found, or at least took a longer time to catch it, missed the tours etc (if we ever get them) trink39.gif

I've wondered how many of the major acts get down under. From what I understand, Rush has never played there. Am I wrong? I'm sure you guys get your fill of AC/DC, though, huh? laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 2 2009, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 2 2009, 07:32 PM)
Porcupine Tree are SO close to being tied with Rush for my favorite band.

one more brilliant album.........and itll be an official tie  cool.gif

I know exactly what you mean. Rush and PT are the only bands (well, Marillion is up there) that don't make me roll my eyes with boredom these days. The element of surprise from Porcupine Tree is what keeps me hooked. And, not just album to album, but song to song. Almost every time I listen to their music, I hear something new that I didn't catch before. It's the richness, depth and complexity of their music, like Rush, that is addictive. I can't get enough of them. It makes me down right giddy.

Yes! they are truly the only two bands that can really give me chills! on songs that ive heard 100 times!

Rush wub.gif

Porcupine Tree wub.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2009, 12:39 AM)
How many times have I watched "Way Out Of Here" on PT's site? Many, including right now. That song kills live, and I missed it when they didn't play it at the NYC show last week.

You are a big baby. You saw them. Shut up. angry.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 2 2009, 10:39 PM)
How many times have I watched "Way Out Of Here" on PT's site? Many, including right now. That song kills live, and I missed it when they didn't play it at the NYC show last week.

another song with a sick middle section.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 3 2009, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 2 2009, 08:18 PM)
I can dig that, and I'm relatively new to them.  Can't quite put them in the Rush league, but they're amazing alright.  I'm so thankful for TRF for introducing a lot of new stuff I might otherwise would never have found, or at least took a longer time to catch it, missed the tours etc (if we ever get them) trink39.gif

I've wondered how many of the major acts get down under. From what I understand, Rush has never played there. Am I wrong? I'm sure you guys get your fill of AC/DC, though, huh? laugh.gif

laugh.gif You know even Acca Dacca have shunned us big time would you believe. Only a couple of times before I think. Rush? Nah, not even Australia, its a tough break. If you like Crowded House though, or even Pearl Jam, party on!! common001.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Steevo

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 3 2009, 01:55 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2009, 12:39 AM)

You are a big baby. You saw them. Shut up. angry.gif

You'll see them. They played Dallas and Houston last tour. Hopefully they'll go there again on the next leg.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Oct 3 2009, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 2 2009, 10:39 PM)

another song with a sick middle section.

They've taken over the sick instrumental section duties from Rush. yes.gif