Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

The Porcupine Tree LIVE DVD - Arriving Somewhere is of paramount importance for anyone interested in this band. That DVD, as well as Opeth's Lamentations, are two of the best Music DVDs I have in my collection. Both are amazing shows, and well put together productions.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 28 2008, 11:54 AM)
went to F.Y.E. they don't have deadwing in the computer comp26.gif that is the one i want next

Believe it or not I found that one at Barnes and Noble. confused13.gif

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Jul 28 2008, 07:16 PM)
The Porcupine Tree LIVE DVD - Arriving Somewhere is of paramount importance for anyone interested in this band.  That DVD, as well as Opeth's Lamentations, are two of the best Music DVDs I have in my collection.  Both are amazing shows, and well put together productions.

Regarding the PT DVD, I respectfully disagree. Although I love the director's work with the Way Out Of Here video and other PT concert visuals, I thought the video style of the Arriving Somewhere DVD was needlessly overly grainy and weathered. I would have loved a fine slick production. Don't get me wrong, PT's performance on the DVD is phenomenal, but that weird artsy/grainy video nonsense is just distracting and annoying IMO. wacko.gif

I would assume that it's done for artistic effect. And that, as well as several other effects/techniques, are employed throughout the film. I didn't think it was enough to be distracting. But just enough to avoid the boredom and repetition of watching four guys go through the same motions on stage. And, MOSTLY, I think that the song selection was great. Most of these things suffer from picking all the obvious tunes. This one is real nice balance....I'm not familiar with any other PT DVDs. Is there an earlier one?

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 28 2008, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 28 2008, 11:54 AM)
went to F.Y.E. they don't have deadwing in the computer comp26.gif  that is the one i want next

Believe it or not I found that one at Barnes and Noble. confused13.gif

the B&N near me does not have c.d.'s . confused13.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 30 2008, 02:47 PM)
I just received Warszawa in the mail and picked up Coma Divine in a store in California over the weekend.

trink39.gif

How are you liking Warszawa?

I need to pick up Coma Devine.

listening to DEADWING right now, f.y.e. ordered it for me and i did not ask them to 1022.gif

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 1 2008, 06:11 PM)
Is there another concert DVD besides 'Arriving Somewhere'?  Or, is this Warszawa just a CD?

No not yet, but they are recording a DVD in October that will document the FOABP album cycle.

QUOTE ( Porcupinetree.com)
06-05-2008
PT will play 2 shows at 013, Tilburg, the Netherlands, on 15th and 16th October. The short run of European shows (sorry no US shows this time) during October is in order to shoot a DVD based on the Fear of a Blank Planet album cycle, and the main body of the filming will take place at Tilburg, where the band will play as much different material as possible during the course of the 2 nights. So please come along and help us to make the atmosphere very special and get yourself in the film! Tickets are on sale from the 7th June from www.013web.nl.

BTW, Warszawa is just a CD

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 1 2008, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 1 2008, 09:09 PM)
is the end of Sentimental supposed to sound exactly like Trains??

Yes...it was intentional.

Really? Would that be due the title of the song?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/surroundm...ury-of-one.html

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/surroundm...htbulb-sun.html

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/surroundm...tree-dvd-a.html

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/entertain...ven-wilson.html

Sound and Vision.

This mag loves Steven Wilson. I've already seen three PT albums on the must have list for sound production.

edit: Added more links

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 4 2008, 02:24 PM)
Maybe so. I heard it addressed in an interview once and don't remember the reason, but it was mentioned and confirmed that it was intentional.

I think it's because that's what Steven Wilson remembers best from his childhood - trains.

He said this in an interview, somewhere. Please don't ask me to find it laugh.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 5 2008, 02:49 AM)
is Steven Wilson making a new solo album??? ive heard this rumor...is it true?

He already has some solo material.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 5 2008, 07:28 AM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 5 2008, 02:49 AM)
is Steven Wilson making a new solo album??? ive heard this rumor...is it true?

He already has some solo material.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

The stuff he has released is random cover material. Alanis Moresette, and The Cure for example.

But he is releasing his first solo album in November. Here is a trailer for the album

I'm finally discovering Porcupine Tree! I went to the store today and got Deadwing. I'm absolutely loving it! I'm kicking myself for not getting to know them sooner. What a great band! Are all their albums as good as Deadwing?

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 14 2008, 11:19 AM)
Are all their albums as good as Deadwing?

Quite a few of them are better than Deadwing, imo biggrin.gif

As you like Deadwing so much I'd recommend Fear Of A Blank Planet as your next purchase.

If you want to try their "middle" period, less heavy material, Lightbulb Sun is my favourite, and Stupid Dream is very good as well.

I'd also highly recommend Signify. It was the first album of theirs that I bought and was responsible for getting me into the band. It's a fantastic album.

The compilation Stars Die: The Delerium Years is excellent, and a great way of trying their earlier material, which was very different.