Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2008, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 4 2008, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2008, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 4 2008, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2008, 05:19 AM)
I actually like that Deadwing version better.  The solo was redone, no?  It's stronger (to me anyhow) on Deadwing.

I think that's why they re-did it for Deadwing. Steven Wilson did not like the LBS version so he re-did it.

BTW the live version of Shesmovdon is closer to the Deadwing version than the LBS version.

Just like "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here". Awesome live!

FYI...I made audio CDs of the live DVD release for my commute to work. It gets regular spins. It has got to be one of my favorite live productions ever.

what software reccomendations do you have (free software) to use for audio ripping from a dvd?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/355156

You will happily get out your Rush DVDs as well to obtain those tracks that don't appear on the audio release. There are only a few of those, however.

Thanks

Porcupine Tree has become an obsession over the last year, and I have the good folks of TRF to thank for it... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (MrHands @ Jun 5 2008, 01:35 PM)
Porcupine Tree has become an obsession over the last year, and I have the good folks of TRF to thank for it... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Same here man wink.gif laugh.gif

still have to get Lightbulb sun though.

Porupine Tree is the greatest band on the earth.

I mean the second greatest band on earth.

Don't get me wrong, I would choose an "Evening With Rush" over an opener, but hey, let's say that in a few years the boys want to trim down some time on their set list because of their age.

Wouldn't it be cool to have Porcupine Tree open for RUSH?

Then again in a few years PT will probably be too big to open for RUSH.

My favorite opener of all time was when PRIMUS opened for RUSH on the "ROLL THE BONES" TOUR!

Oh and on another PT note I want to add that I was totally pumped for Gavin Harrison when he won BEST PROGRESIVE DRUMMER in MODERN DRUMMER last year!

Thank goodness that Mike Portnoy lost.

I would take Gavin over Mike any day. JMO!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 5 2008, 03:45 PM)

Don't get me wrong, I would choose an "Evening With Rush" over an opener, but hey, let's say that in a few years the boys want to trim down some time on their set list because of their age.

My favorite opener of all time was when PRIMUS opened for RUSH on the "ROLL THE BONES" TOUR!

Oh and on another PT note I want to add that I was totally pumped for Gavin Harrison when he won BEST PROGRESIVE DRUMMER in MODERN DRUMMER last year!

I would take Gavin over Mike any day. JMO!

Harrison has been severely under-rated for way too long.

I picked up his DVD and his mastery of the poly-rhythm is second to none, in my eyes.

Oh yeah Gompers!

I am a HUGE FAN of Gavin's.

There is a two pack dvd out featuring the one you have and a different instructual video as well.

Do you have the two Gavin Harrison solo cds?

It's different, but they are very good.

"Sanity & Gravity" is his first and it is out of print and very hard to find!!

Yeah, it's about time Gavin got some love!

Cheers!

As a drummer I love how he incorporates that cool "cymbal tree" into the musical fray.

Incredible stuff. Incredible drummer.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 5 2008, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (MrHands @ Jun 5 2008, 01:35 PM)

Same here man wink.gif laugh.gif

still have to get Lightbulb sun though.

You shant be disappointed. I can't stop listening to it. smile.gif

I also concur about them being an obsession. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 5 2008, 05:55 PM)
Oh yeah Gompers!

I am a HUGE FAN of Gavin's.

There is a two pack dvd out featuring the one you have and a different instructual video as well.

Do you have the two Gavin Harrison solo cds?

It's different, but they are very good.

"Sanity & Gravity" is his first and it is out of print and very hard to find!!

Yeah, it's about time Gavin got some love!

Cheers!

As a drummer I love how he incorporates that cool "cymbal tree" into the musical fray.

Incredible stuff. Incredible drummer.

I need to get get some more instructional stuff by him. His jazz training makes a huge difference with PT over Chris Maitland. I want to hear his solo stuff and O5ric. I bet it is excellent.

05ric is first rate material. I ordered it from Burning Shed a couple of months back...it's gotten serious play time.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2008, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 5 2008, 03:45 PM)

I would take Gavin over Mike any day.  JMO!

Harrison has been severely under-rated for way too long.

I picked up his DVD and his mastery of the poly-rhythm is second to none, in my eyes.

Gavin Harrison has been getting a lot more recognition from the drumming community lately, especially Modern Drummer. I think he is one of the headliners of the 2008 Modern Drummer Festival. In my eyes, Gavin will always be a better drummer then Mike Portnoy. But don't get me wrong, MP isn't a bad drummer. He's just not creative. I feel like I'm listening to the same thing by him every album.

I got my special edition of Stupid Dream yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a rather mellow album, but the production is really awesome, the 5.1 mix is superb. I definitely recommend it to anyone with a system.

I can't wait to receive Signify, though I don't think that one has a DVD.

So what does "The Sky Moves Sideways" sound like? because i'm thinking pretty seriously about buying it, but its $20 on iTunes for the special edition that they have on there, so suggestions? what does it sound like?

i'll try to go look up a bit of it on Youtube and give it a listen

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 8 2008, 01:53 AM)
PT has done several Music Videos, which have a really good production quality.
THe FOABP video was very cool, but this one remains my faviorate

Piano Lessons

Cool.

Those signs... Blah. Blah. Chorus. laugh.gif

I love Porcupine Tree. They're an amazing band. I'll never stop listening to them.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 07:48 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:14 PM)
Got all of that for under $60 including shipping.

Do you buy direct from Amazon or from sellers?

Sellers

Always turns out much cheaper, think I'll have a look on the British version see if the DVD is going cheap. Thanks for the reminder. cool.gif

No prob..!

And thanks to all you guys for keeping them in the back of my mind, both here and on TNMS.

Hey didn't know you were a member on T.N.M.S. What's your username?

whats TNMS?

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Apr 17 2008, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 17 2008, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 17 2008, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Apr 15 2008, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 14 2008, 10:41 PM)
So whats the deal with the association of PT and pills? just wondering...

Do a little research on why Wilson wrote FEar of a Blank Planet.

yea is he on pills?

No, he just thinks everyone else is.

laugh.gif

That about sums it up!!!

BTW - Mustard Death, I don't mean to bust balls or anything, but your avatar is the most annoying thing I think I've ever seen.

So what about Voyage 34?

I listened to a bit, it sounded like just sort of a commentary on LSD usage, but is he advocating it? What is SW's stance on drugs?

so a couple of months ago, io tried listening top some PT...but i just didnt like it....but i got a Zune yesterday and got the $15 a month zune pass for unlimited downloads......so i got:

Fear of a Black Planet

In Absentia

Deadwing...

i've listened to about 7 songs......and they are all GREAT!

My favorite is: Anesthetize(you can tell which part Alex did[the first solo]...it just sounds so much like him....but i love seeing him solo in a more heavy rock environment.....havent done a solo like that since Cygnus X-1!

But i also love: The Sound of Music

thanks to everyone who recommend this band.....

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Steven Wilson says that he is fascinated by the way drugs have affected music, pop culture, and society, but I believe he has always asserted that he has never used illegal drugs and disapproves of their usage, as well as of the abuse of prescription medication (a message that is all over Fear of a Blank Planet and is suggested a couple times on Signify and Stupid Dream as well).

I find it hard to believe that Wilson has never experimented with mind-altering chemicals, considering the music he was making in the '80s and '90s, but I think that's his story.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 17 2008, 01:56 AM)
Steven Wilson says that he is fascinated by the way drugs have affected music, pop culture, and society, but I believe he has always asserted that he has never used illegal drugs and disapproves of their usage, as well as of the abuse of prescription medication (a message that is all over Fear of a Blank Planet and is suggested a couple times on Signify and Stupid Dream as well).

I find it hard to believe that Wilson has never experimented with mind-altering chemicals, considering the music he was making in the '80s and '90s, but I think that's his story.

ok thanks

whats this TNMS forum though?

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 18 2008, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 17 2008, 01:56 AM)

ok thanks

whats this TNMS forum though?

TNMS = The National Midnight Star

You are gonna love this link:

http://white-barn.com/nms

Edited by Gompers

A little PT trivia, or rather Steven Wilson trivia. He was called by Fish (of Marillion fame) to work on his Raingods with Zippos album. SW even played guitar on three songs!

Fish - Raingods with Zippos

01. Tumbledown (5.52) [Dick/Simmonds]

02. Mission Statement (4.00) [Dick/Astley/Thorn]

03. Incomplete (3.44) [Dick/Antwi/Millett]

04. Tilted Cross (4.19) [Dick/Jackson/Johnson]

05. Faith Healer (5.01) [Harvey/McKenna/Cleminson]

06. Rites of Passage (7.42) [Dick/Simmonds]

Plague of Ghosts [Dick/Turrell/Daghorn] -

(i) Old Haunts (3.13)

(ii) Digging Deep (6.49)

(iii) Chocolate Frogs (4.04)

(iv) Waving At Stars (3.12)

(v) Raingods Dancing (4.16)

(vi) Wake-up Call (Make It Happen) (3.32)

01. Lead vocal - Fish, Backing vocal - Elizabeth Antwi, Drums - Dave Stewart, Bass - Steve Vantsis, Guitars - Steve Wilson, Piano - Mickey Simmonds, Keyboards - Tony Turrell, Intro guitar - Bruce Watson, Percussion - Dave Haswell

02. Lead vocal - Fish, Backing vocals - Nicola King and Tony King, Drums - Dave Stewart, Bass - Steve Vantsis, Acoustic guitar - Robin Boult, Electric guitar - Robin Boult/Til Paulman/Bruce Watson, Organ and piano - Tony Turrell, Percussion - Dave Haswell

03. Lead vocal - Fish, Female Lead Vocal - Elizabeth Antwi, Double bass - Steve Vantsis, Strings - Davey Crichton, Acoustic guitars - Robin Boult, Mandolin - Bruce watson, Harmonium - Tony Turrell, Percussion - Dave Haswell, String arrangement - Davey Crichton and Elliot Ness

04. Lead vocal - Fish, Backing vocal - Nicola King, Drums - Dave Stewart, Double bass - Steve Vantsis, Percussion - Dave Haswell, Harmonium and synths - Tony Turrell, Fiddle - Davey Crichton, Guitars - Robin Boult.

05. Lead vocal - Fish, Drums - Dave Stewart, Bass - Steve Vantsis, Guitars - Steve Wilson/Robin Boult, Acoustic guitar - Phil Grieve, Keyboards - Tony Turrell/Mickey Simmonds, Strings and solo violin - Davey Crichton, Percussion - Dave Haswell, String arrangement - Davey Crichton/Tony Turrell/Elliot Ness

06. Lead vocal - Fish, Keyboards/programming/solo - Mickey Simmonds, Drums - Dave Stewart, Bass - Steve Vantsis, Percussion - Dave Haswell, Strings - Davey Crichton, String arrangement - Davey Crichton/Elliot Ness

07 (i - vi). Lead vocal - Fish, Female backing vocals - Nicola King, Male backing vocals - Tony King/Merlin, Spoken French vocal - Pierre Michel Meier, Spoken outro vocal - Mo Warden, Drums - Dave Stewart, Bass - Steve Vantsis, All guitars and solos - Steve Wilson, Keyboards - Tony Turrell, Programming - Mark Daghorn/Tony Turrell, Strings - Davey Crichton, Percussion - Dave Haswell, Samples - Elliot Ness/Tony Turrell

Scottish singer-songwriter Fish's new Roadrunner Records release "Raingods With Zippos" is striking for its diversity - the prog stomp of opener "Tumbledown," the string-laden ballad "Rites of Passage," the heavy, blood-pumping rendition of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band's "Faith Healer." Past collaborator/keyboardist Mickey Simmonds lends his neo-classical touches to those first two tracks while Porcupine Tree's Steve Wilson contributes plenty of guitar work throughout "Raingods." It's also noteworthy that Fish collaborated with '80s pop star Rick Astley and Nashville veteran Paul Thorn on the rocking "Mission Statement."

The album's tour-de-force is the 6-part "Plague of Ghosts," a song which began humbly as an ambient remix of a Fish track by Mark Daghorn and Tony Turrell (Fish's new touring keyboardist and a major contributor on this album). But Fish saw greater potential in the track, and it eventually became the epic it is now. A journey of reassessment and re-discovering one's self, "Plague of Ghosts" absorbs ambient, ethereal drum 'n' bass, techno, and guitar rock into a beguiling atmospheric swirl which will transfix you from start to finish.