Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Additionally, lonestar, I don't think there was anything said about Dream Theater not being good, it was more that they thought themselves 'progressive' and weren't taking the the genre anywhere. They're certainly wonderful musicians, but they weren't breaking new ground, just sticking to tried and tested formulas and for an artist as eclectic as SW, who has such a broad musical outlook; krautrock, electriconica, ambient drones etc, why would you want to be considered someone who does the same thing over and over? DT just sound like Yes with a lot more distortion, whereas it's almost impossible to compare any PT album with another artists' album. Especially the albums in the 90's.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 16 2008, 08:28 AM)
Well, just because a band has had an influence on Prog, doesn't mean you can categorise it as that. Especially some of the music that influenced prog artists in the 70's.

I can see why he wouldn't want to be classified as prog then but does now. 'Prog' bands nowadays are actually moving the genre forward. Bands like Muse, The Mars Volta etc are actually doing new things, and breaking new ground whereas in the 90's it was more a 70's throwback movement about all the things that allowed prog to die back in the day. Plus, even now, SW hasn't come out and said PT are prog, far from it. He just doesn't mind being labelled as it now, even though I'm sure he'll insist, as would I that PT are progressive, and not prog.

I hope that kind of answers the question because I really didn't know what you were trying to ask laugh.gif

I'm sure Mr. Wilson would acknowledge that many of his songs incorporate the traditional Prog Rock sound, style, or elements. Some even call some of the material Prog Metal, but I think it falls short of that.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 16 2008, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 16 2008, 08:28 AM)
Well, just because a band has had an influence on Prog, doesn't mean you can categorise it as that. Especially some of the music that influenced prog artists in the 70's.

I can see why he wouldn't want to be classified as prog then but does now. 'Prog' bands nowadays are actually moving the genre forward. Bands like Muse, The Mars Volta etc are actually doing new things, and breaking new ground whereas in the 90's it was more a 70's throwback movement about all the things that allowed prog to die back in the day. Plus, even now, SW hasn't come out and said PT are prog, far from it. He just doesn't mind being labelled as it now, even though I'm sure he'll insist, as would I that PT are progressive, and not prog.

I hope that kind of answers the question because I really didn't know what you were trying to ask laugh.gif

I'm sure Mr. Wilson would acknowledge that many of his songs incorporate the traditional Prog Rock sound, style, or elements. Some even call some of the material Prog Metal, but I think it falls short of that.

Well, some of his songs incorporate prog elements, but they're in the minority. The Sky Moves Sideways, Arriving Somewhere(But Not Here), Anesthetize and Even Less do, but apart from that, PT don't resemble prog in the slightest.

To me, it doesnt really matter whether they are prog.....

anyway, what I find amazing is that I find SW and PTree compelling enough to check out his other projects as well, and actually enjoying them quite a bit.

You two may not enjoy it, but at least this is far more riveting discussion than the amount of 'What PT albums should I buy' threads there have been, which end up with everyone rehashing everything they've already said.Plus, labels on music are just as normal as the sun rising and setting, so I'd imagine you'll have to get used to it. I'm sure that when everyone here listens to PT, they couldn't give a rat's arse what musical genre they come under, but it's hard to enjoy music when you're not listening to it, and thus discussions take place. Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 17 2008, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Apr 17 2008, 01:30 PM)

anyway, what I find amazing is that I find SW and PTree compelling enough to check out his other projects as well, and actually enjoying them quite a bit.

Which other projects have you listened to?

Bass Communion

Blackfield

No-Man

have been ordering things from burningshed.com

Opeth...sort of related smile.gif

QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Apr 17 2008, 05:46 PM)

Bass Communion

Blackfield

No-Man

Try I.E.M out, you may enjoy them.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 16 2008, 06:25 PM)
Well, some of his songs incorporate prog elements, but they're in the minority. The Sky Moves Sideways, Arriving Somewhere(But Not Here), Anesthetize and Even Less do, but apart from that, PT don't resemble prog in the slightest.

Well I hear quite a bit, especially the odd-meter and syncopated things and songs >4 minutes.

But I won't beathorse.gif

Labeling them is not something SW cares for. He likes his music with PT being somewhat ambiguous.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2008, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 16 2008, 06:25 PM)

Well I hear quite a bit, especially the odd-meter and syncopated things and songs >4 minutes.

But I won't beathorse.gif

Labeling them is not something SW cares for. He likes his music with PT being somewhat ambiguous.

Exactly, which is why I've been saying they're not a prog band wink.gif

If it means anything, Justin Timberlake has a few songs more than 4 minutes on his latest album, and some that are pushing 7, but that doesn't make him prog. Plus, there are loads of other odd-meters in other musical genres; that isn't a trait specific to prog.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 17 2008, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Apr 17 2008, 05:46 PM)

Bass Communion

Blackfield

No-Man

Try I.E.M out, you may enjoy them.

yeah, theyre next on the list smile.gif

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 17 2008, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Apr 15 2008, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 14 2008, 10:41 PM)
So whats the deal with the association of PT and pills? just wondering...

Do a little research on why Wilson wrote FEar of a Blank Planet.

yea is he on pills?

No, he just thinks everyone else is.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 17 2008, 06:34 PM)

yea is he on pills?

DO THE RESEARCH

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 17 2008, 09:30 PM)

yea is he on pills?

laugh.gif

That about sums it up!!!

BTW - Mustard Death, I don't mean to bust balls or anything, but your avatar is the most annoying thing I think I've ever seen.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Apr 17 2008, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 17 2008, 09:30 PM)

yea is he on pills?

laugh.gif

That about sums it up!!!

BTW - Mustard Death, I don't mean to bust balls or anything, but your avatar is the most annoying thing I think I've ever seen.

i think its probably one of the funniest,

but it gets old after a while

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 17 2008, 04:27 PM)
Plus, labels on music are just as normal as the sun rising and setting, so I'd imagine you'll have to get used to it.

why? someone who doesn't know porcupine tree might be put off by the prog label (i know i would have been... to me prog makes me think of bands like genesis, elp and yes. eeeuuw!) but if they listened to the band first without hearing what they might be labeled under by certain people they might love them. bands are percieved by the labels hung on them which is why it ticks mr wilson off so much.

besides, who decides what the label of 'prog' actually means?

right, i'm off to listen to some post-metal-prog-hardcore-grunge-house-emo-drum'n'bass-punk music wink.gif

QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 18 2008, 07:44 AM)
Plus, labels on music are just as normal as the sun rising and setting, so I'd imagine you'll have to get used to it.

why? someone who doesn't know porcupine tree might be put off by the prog label (i know i would have been... to me prog makes me think of bands like genesis, elp and yes. eeeuuw!) but if they listened to the band first without hearing what they might be labeled under by certain people they might love them. bands are percieved by the labels hung on them which is why it ticks mr wilson off so much.

right, i'm off to listen to some post-metal-prog-hardcore-grunge-house-emo-drum'n'bass-punk music wink.gif

Have you read anything I've posted so far? Obviously not, but there we go. I've been trying to say they're not prog, and if someone asked me what they were like, I'd never call them a prog band. wink.gif

Why? First thing most people ask me about a band is what kind of music do they play, and it's easier to say; "They're a rock band" or "They're electronic" than sing a whole song to them. You wouldn't call a footballer a sportsman, you'd call him a footballer, and that still conjures up bad images but it doesn't stop anyone from doing it.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 18 2008, 10:08 AM)
Have you read anything I've posted so far? Obviously not, but there we go.

yes, i have. my comment was about labeling bands, not really that you specifcally labeled porcupine tree as prog as you didn't. but others here have.

It seems Tour Of A Blank Planet has leaked!

Tracklist;

Disc one

--------

What Happens Now?

Blackest Eyes

Fear of A Blank Planet

The Sound Of Muzak

Lazarus

Nil Recurring

Anesthetize

Waiting (Part One)

Sentimental

Disc Two

--------

Open Car

Dark Matter

Half Light

A Smart Kid

Way Out Of Here

Sleep Together

Trains

Halo

No My Ashes sad.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 17 2008, 05:01 PM)
It seems Tour Of A Blank Planet has leaked!

Tracklist;

Disc one
--------
What Happens Now?
Blackest Eyes
Fear of A Blank Planet
The Sound Of Muzak
Lazarus
Nil Recurring
Anesthetize
Waiting (Part One)
Sentimental

Disc Two
--------
Open Car
Dark Matter
Half Light
A Smart Kid
Way Out Of Here
Sleep Together
Trains
Halo

No My Ashes sad.gif

Sweet! ( other than the absence of my ashes )

any idea where the show was recorded?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 18 2008, 06:08 AM)

Have you read anything I've posted so far? Obviously not, but there we go. I've been trying to say they're not prog, and if someone asked me what they were like, I'd never call them a prog band. wink.gif

Why? First thing most people ask me about a band is what kind of music do they play, and it's easier to say; "They're a rock band" or "They're electronic" than sing a whole song to them. You wouldn't call a footballer a sportsman, you'd call him a footballer, and that still conjures up bad images but it doesn't stop anyone from doing it.

They are as Prog as Rush is, IMO.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 18 2008, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 18 2008, 06:08 AM)

They are as Prog as Rush is, IMO.

Rush and Porcupine Tree are progressive, but they're not prog.

'Prog' and 'Progressive' in a musical sense mean completely different things.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter