Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 17 2008, 06:01 PM)
It seems Tour Of A Blank Planet has leaked!

Tracklist;

Disc one
--------
What Happens Now?
Blackest Eyes
Fear of A Blank Planet
The Sound Of Muzak
Lazarus
Nil Recurring
Anesthetize
Waiting (Part One)
Sentimental

Disc Two
--------
Open Car
Dark Matter
Half Light
A Smart Kid
Way Out Of Here
Sleep Together
Trains
Halo

No My Ashes sad.gif

This is a bootleg, not an official release. It is a very decent sounding boot for aud. Almost soundboard. If it is soundboard it is not very good.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 18 2008, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 17 2008, 06:01 PM)
It seems Tour Of A Blank Planet has leaked!

Tracklist;

Disc one
--------
What Happens Now?
Blackest Eyes
Fear of A Blank Planet
The Sound Of Muzak
Lazarus
Nil Recurring
Anesthetize
Waiting (Part One)
Sentimental

Disc Two
--------
Open Car
Dark Matter
Half Light
A Smart Kid
Way Out Of Here
Sleep Together
Trains
Halo

No My Ashes sad.gif

This is a bootleg, not an official release. It is a very decent sounding boot for aud. Almost soundboard. If it is soundboard it is not very good.

Ohw sad.gif Said on the sites it was an advance copy.

I would imagine that will be the tracklist though, possibly with My Ashes included.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 18 2008, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 18 2008, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 18 2008, 06:08 AM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 18 2008, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 17 2008, 04:27 PM)
Plus, labels on music are just as normal as the sun rising and setting, so I'd imagine you'll have to get used to it.

why? someone who doesn't know porcupine tree might be put off by the prog label (i know i would have been... to me prog makes me think of bands like genesis, elp and yes. eeeuuw!) but if they listened to the band first without hearing what they might be labeled under by certain people they might love them. bands are percieved by the labels hung on them which is why it ticks mr wilson off so much.

besides, who decides what the label of 'prog' actually means?

right, i'm off to listen to some post-metal-prog-hardcore-grunge-house-emo-drum'n'bass-punk music wink.gif

Have you read anything I've posted so far? Obviously not, but there we go. I've been trying to say they're not prog, and if someone asked me what they were like, I'd never call them a prog band. wink.gif

Why? First thing most people ask me about a band is what kind of music do they play, and it's easier to say; "They're a rock band" or "They're electronic" than sing a whole song to them. You wouldn't call a footballer a sportsman, you'd call him a footballer, and that still conjures up bad images but it doesn't stop anyone from doing it.

They are as Prog as Rush is, IMO.

Rush and Porcupine Tree are progressive, but they're not prog.

'Prog' and 'Progressive' in a musical sense mean completely different things.

this is why the labels are ridiculous.

OK I just bought Fear of a Blank Planet (my first PT album) the other day on a whim and after several listens I'm pretty dang impressed.

I've only got one question: Are all of PT's albums as dark and gloomy as FOABP? It just ain't a very happy album and I find it a bit depressing.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ May 19 2008, 12:04 AM)
OK I just bought Fear of a Blank Planet (my first PT album) the other day on a whim and after several listens I'm pretty dang impressed.

I've only got one question: Are all of PT's albums as dark and gloomy as FOABP? It just ain't a very happy album and I find it a bit depressing.

well yes, you have some "happy" songs on Deadwing, Stupid Dream and, Lightbulb Sun, but not buch.

(Great album huh? trink36.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 19 2008, 10:54 AM)

I've only got one question:  Are all of PT's albums as dark and gloomy as FOABP?  It just ain't a very happy album and I find it a bit depressing.

well yes, you have some "happy" songs on Deadwing, Stupid Dream and, Lightbulb Sun, but not buch.

Most of them probably are all pretty depressing. Steven Wilson said he finds gloomy, depressing songs to be the most beautiful.

I have been on a big PT binge lately. Listening to In Absentia right now. 1022.gif

ps. Any rumors or word on a new album yet?

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 20 2008, 09:06 PM)

I've only got one question:  Are all of PT's albums as dark and gloomy as FOABP?  It just ain't a very happy album and I find it a bit depressing.

Most of them probably are all pretty depressing. Steven Wilson said he finds gloomy, depressing songs to be the most beautiful.

I have been on a big PT binge lately. Listening to In Absentia right now. 1022.gif

I have PT listening binges too. I thought I was alone in that. Seems about once a month I listen to all the PT I have.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 20 2008, 08:06 PM)

I doubt we'll hear any news on a new CD for a while. They're still touring Spain (I think) supporting FoaBP. I would think it'll probably be next year before they start on a new one.

As for the "depressing" aspect of their music: Yeah, the lyrics and overall tone lean towards dark and bleak. But, you have to remember, as it's been mentioned already, that Wilson has said he does his best writing when he's depressed. It's his emotional outlet. After seeing him interviewed a couple of times and hearing his tone on We Lost the Skyline, I don't think he's an overall negative person. A little uppity and self-absorbed, yes. But, not the basket case you'd expect.

My latest PT listening jag has been with Stupid Dream. My kids finally demanded that I put another CD in the player in the van.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 21 2008, 03:43 PM)
I doubt we'll hear any news on a new CD for a while. They're still touring Spain (I think) supporting FoaBP. I would think it'll probably be next year before they start on a new one.

As for the "depressing" aspect of their music: Yeah, the lyrics and overall tone lean towards dark and bleak. But, you have to remember, as it's been mentioned already, that Wilson has said he does his best writing when he's depressed. It's his emotional outlet. After seeing him interviewed a couple of times and hearing his tone on We Lost the Skyline, I don't think he's an overall negative person. A little uppity and self-absorbed, yes. But, not the basket case you'd expect.

My latest PT listening jag has been with Stupid Dream. My kids finally demanded that I put another CD in the player in the van.

yes.gif

What's also fairly documented is that he sees writing dark and bleak lyrics as an exorcism of sorts for him. If he writes those kind of lyrics, he feels he's channeled all the negativity out of himself, and can then be more happy.

Also, no-one should expect a new studio album for a while. A live album should be coming out autumn this year, and then they're embarking on a short tour to film a new live DVD. There's also SW's solo album, and probably countless more side-projects he's doing. A new album late 2009 seems acceptable although it could come earlier with all these new distribution methods.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 21 2008, 10:43 AM)

Thanks for answering my question.

I understand now what you guys are saying regarding Wilson being a bit on the dreary, depressing side, but yes, even so the man can write a damn fine song, so more power to him. trink39.gif

BTW I just got Deadwing yesterday and it's AWESOME! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ May 21 2008, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 21 2008, 10:43 AM)

Thanks for answering my question.

I understand now what you guys are saying regarding Wilson being a bit on the dreary, depressing side, but yes, even so the man can write a damn fine song, so more power to him. trink39.gif

BTW I just got Deadwing yesterday and it's AWESOME! 1022.gif

1022.gif It sure is. Great disc all the way through......

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ May 22 2008, 01:24 PM)
As far as new PT, don't forget that Gavin Harrison is now a part of King Crimson, as well. That could complicate things a bit as far as schedules go.

Nah, fripp and wilson know how to handle that kind of thing the must have 10000 I.Q points each, we can trust them! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 22 2008, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ May 22 2008, 07:56 AM)
woooo, my ticket has arrived for the pt gig at the indig02 in october. can't wait!

Aha! That means mine might have too.

Reckon it'll be the one that gets filmed?

i did read somewhere that was why they are playing the gig in the first place, so i hope they are. i have been into porcupine tree for a couple of years but until now the fates have conspired to keep me for seeing them live so i'm really looking forward to this.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ May 22 2008, 05:24 AM)
As far as new PT, don't forget that Gavin Harrison is now a part of King Crimson, as well. That could complicate things a bit as far as schedules go.

Porcupine Tree and King Crimson just jamming together on the same stage would be godly.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 23 2008, 01:52 AM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ May 22 2008, 05:24 AM)
As far as new PT, don't forget that Gavin Harrison is now a part of King Crimson, as well.  That could complicate things a bit as far as schedules go.

Porcupine Tree and King Crimson just jamming together on the same stage would be godly.

a proggasm

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ May 23 2008, 05:42 PM)
yea i was gonna say, what if Yes & PT went on tour together and Gavin Harrison was on the skins for both!

laugh.gif

Nice idea maybe, but Alan White would have to be dead and buried in the Mariana Trench before another drummer is going to cut the groove for Yes.

Edited by LoneStar Boogie

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 23 2008, 03:52 AM)

I would jizz all over creation if this were to happen.

And don't be offended when I say jizz, I mean it in a musical sense that I would be extremely overjoyed and excited if I saw those two bands together on the same stage jamming.