Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ May 23 2008, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ May 23 2008, 05:42 PM)
yea i was gonna say, what if Yes & PT went on tour together and Gavin Harrison was on the skins for both!

laugh.gif

Nice idea maybe, but Alan White would have to be dead and buried in the Mariana Trench before another drummer is going to cut the groove for Yes.

oops!!!!!!!!!! I meant king crimson, not Yes, but Yes would be awesome too!

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 23 2008, 07:44 PM)
Any recommendations on what pt album I should buy next? I have the latest 3 and Up The Downstair. Right now I'm leaning towards On A Sunday In Life...

Go ahead and Get "Stupid Dream", another classic.

Or I would also reccomend "Voyage 34: The Complete Voyage" completly instrumental but very cool

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 24 2008, 05:46 AM)
Any recommendations on what pt album I should buy next? I have the latest 3 and Up The Downstair. Right now I'm leaning towards On A Sunday In Life...

Or I would also reccomend "Voyage 34: The Complete Voyage" completly instrumental but very cool

Not sure Voyage 34 is a safe bet for everyone. I enjoy it quite a lot but a musical LSD trip... doesn't tend to grip everyone. Plus the stupid Techno remixes are better. If anyone was planning on buying it I would sugguest the original Voyage 34 album rather than The Complete Trip. The remixes totally ruin it for me.

Anyway my suggestion is The Sky Moves Sideways. Awesome 10/10 album.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 23 2008, 09:44 PM)

Well if you like Up the Downstair, then get more early stuff. I have a lot of trouble getting into the early music.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 23 2008, 06:44 PM)

no.gif

Stupid Dream or The Sky Moves Sideways.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 24 2008, 10:08 AM)

Well if you like Up the Downstair, then get more early stuff. I have a lot of trouble getting into the early music.

I enjoyed Up The Downstair a lot. I think I like it as a whole better then Fear Of A Blank Planet.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 24 2008, 12:24 PM)

I enjoyed Up The Downstair a lot. I think I like it as a whole better then Fear Of A Blank Planet.

The problem with On the Sunday of Life is that it's basically just a tongue-in-cheek blooper reel of cute little ditties Steven Wilson recorded in his bedroom. The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34 are much more in the vein of Up the Downstair (but I'd recommend the former for sure).

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 24 2008, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ May 24 2008, 05:46 AM)

Not sure Voyage 34 is a safe bet for everyone. I enjoy it quite a lot but a musical LSD trip... doesn't tend to grip everyone. Plus the stupid Techno remixes are better. If anyone was planning on buying it I would sugguest the original Voyage 34 album rather than The Complete Trip. The remixes totally ruin it for me.

Anyway my suggestion is The Sky Moves Sideways. Awesome 10/10 album.

I"ve been thinking about getting The Sky Moves Sideways

whats it like?

The Sky Moves Sideways is very psychedelic in nature. It also has a big prog feel to it. I highly recommend it if you're into that kind of thing. I think the record is comparable to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in a few ways.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 24 2008, 02:14 PM)

no.gif

Agreed...

I'd look for the Lightbulb Sun re-release too. yes.gif

QUOTE (MrHands @ May 26 2008, 09:01 AM)

no.gif

Agreed...

I finally got ahold of that! The re-master was great.

Only have to wait for "recordings" now

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 24 2008, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 24 2008, 12:24 PM)

The problem with On the Sunday of Life is that it's basically just a tongue-in-cheek blooper reel of cute little ditties Steven Wilson recorded in his bedroom. The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34 are much more in the vein of Up the Downstair (but I'd recommend the former for sure).

I only have the latest 3 and I think I'm going to start working on their back catalog now, but I listened to Jupiter Island and it left me with a sort of wtf.gif feeling. I really like what I've heard from Stupid Dream, Signify, and The Sky Moves Sideways on Napster, though. I've only heard a few minutes from Up The Downstair, but I thought it was alright.

No one is mentioning the high quality of the XM transmission? It really bring the quality of musicianship to light. It almost sounds studio.

Harrison shines on Tinto Brass.

QUOTE (MrHands @ May 26 2008, 10:01 AM)

no.gif

Agreed...

Did they change or remix any songs on the Lightbulb Sun reissue?

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Jun 3 2008, 09:05 PM)

no.gif

Agreed...

Not sure, as I never had the original. I'm guessing it was a remix since disc 2 offers the "original release."

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Jun 3 2008, 08:05 PM)

no.gif

Agreed...

Just a re-master, not re-mix.

There is a re-mix of shesmovdon as a bonus track on Deadwing.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2008, 05:19 AM)
I actually like that Deadwing version better. The solo was redone, no? It's stronger (to me anyhow) on Deadwing.

I think that's why they re-did it for Deadwing. Steven Wilson did not like the LBS version so he re-did it.

BTW the live version of Shesmovdon is closer to the Deadwing version than the LBS version.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 4 2008, 02:26 PM)
I actually like that Deadwing version better.  The solo was redone, no?  It's stronger (to me anyhow) on Deadwing.

I think that's why they re-did it for Deadwing. Steven Wilson did not like the LBS version so he re-did it.

BTW the live version of Shesmovdon is closer to the Deadwing version than the LBS version.

Just like "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here". Awesome live!

FYI...I made audio CDs of the live DVD release for my commute to work. It gets regular spins. It has got to be one of my favorite live productions ever.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2008, 12:39 PM)
I actually like that Deadwing version better.  The solo was redone, no?  It's stronger (to me anyhow) on Deadwing.

FYI...I made audio CDs of the live DVD release for my commute to work. It gets regular spins. It has got to be one of my favorite live productions ever.

what software reccomendations do you have (free software) to use for audio ripping from a dvd?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 4 2008, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2008, 12:39 PM)

what software reccomendations do you have (free software) to use for audio ripping from a dvd?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/355156

You will happily get out your Rush DVDs as well to obtain those tracks that don't appear on the audio release. There are only a few of those, however.