Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Aug 14 2008, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 14 2008, 11:19 AM)
Are all their albums as good as Deadwing?

Quite a few of them are better than Deadwing, imo biggrin.gif

As you like Deadwing so much I'd recommend Fear Of A Blank Planet as your next purchase.

If you want to try their "middle" period, less heavy material, Lightbulb Sun is my favourite, and Stupid Dream is very good as well.

I'd also highly recommend Signify. It was the first album of theirs that I bought and was responsible for getting me into the band. It's a fantastic album.

The compilation Stars Die: The Delerium Years is excellent, and a great way of trying their earlier material, which was very different.

Thanks for the tips Steve. I wanted to buy Fear of A Blank Planet but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm definitely going to try to see them in Tilburg in october!

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 14 2008, 07:19 AM)
I'm finally discovering Porcupine Tree! I went to the store today and got Deadwing. I'm absolutely loving it! I'm kicking myself for not getting to know them sooner. What a great band! Are all their albums as good as Deadwing?

For me In Absentia is the best to date. However, I enjoy everything from Signify to FOABP.

This is a band that creates music that grows on you over time (kind of like some Rush songs, as I recall).

edit: typo

Edited by Gompers

I find Signify to be highly underrated. I listened to it the other night and it's such great headphone music. It's a much more atmospheric album for PT though, more in the vein of The Sky Moves Sideways and Up the Downstair.

A great album nonetheless, I think it's in my top 5, and maybe top 3 fav. PT records.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 16 2008, 12:47 AM)
I got Nil Recurring recently...

Who else thinks that Normal kicks the crap out of Sentimental?

I think origionally it was all one song.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 16 2008, 12:09 AM)

Sentimental was taken from Normal and re-arranged. I think Normal was way better and should have been left on FOABP...

But then it would make buying Nil Recurring much less worthwhile I guess.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 17 2008, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 16 2008, 12:09 AM)

Sentimental was taken from Normal and re-arranged. I think Normal was way better and should have been left on FOABP...

But then it would make buying Nil Recurring much less worthwhile I guess.

I would actually like to hear Normal and Sentemental as one piece.

HINT HINT for the live DVD to be recorded this October!! (if anyone from PT reads this forum...)

I think It could play intresting, and though the above statment is just a plea for something I want, that actually might be a pretty logical to do it as such, on a live preformance.

Here's a pretty cool find on Youtube, a live preformance of Anesthetize preformed at a festival they participated in. It's a professional video is what makes this cool, not a bootleg video.

It is however an abridged version, but still very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvYZs6htSVs&feature=related (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1NEDH2-CyM&feature=related (part 2)

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Aug 22 2008, 06:10 AM)
Yeah, there was a webcast of that entire show, if you search around you might be able to find it somewhere.

That is cool, I'll try and look for it.

But as I mentioned before they're recording a new DVD in October, Anesthetize will probably be featured on that.

I just got a hold of the Live in Studio XM Radio Broadcast from Nov 2002. I got the version with the 3 extra acoustic songs plus the interview with Steven Wilson. Superb of course. I'm sure a lot of you guys here would already have this. What do you all think of it??

1022.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Shifty @ Aug 28 2008, 01:16 AM)
I just got a hold of the Live in Studio XM Radio Broadcast from Nov 2002. I got the version with the 3 extra acoustic songs plus the interview with Steven Wilson. Superb of course. I'm sure a lot of you guys here would already have this. What do you all think of it??

The XM recording is excellent. Amazing how much they sound like the album. Gavin Harrison's drumming on Tinto Brass really makes the original drummer, Chris Maitland (who is no slouch), seems unadventurous.

For you drummers who didn't know, Gavin Harrison will respond to questions you ask. Pages of very cool reads in the forum.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/archive....php/t-698.html

QUOTE (Shifty @ Aug 28 2008, 12:16 AM)

I'll have to try and find this.

Are there any hard copies available, or will I have to look on torrent sites?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 28 2008, 10:39 AM)
I just got a hold of the Live in Studio XM Radio Broadcast from Nov 2002.  I got the version with the 3 extra acoustic songs plus the interview with Steven Wilson.  Superb of course.  I'm sure a lot of you guys here would already have this.  What do you all think of it??

1022.gif  applaudit.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Torrents should only be a last resort for items no longer available. I recommend downloading the flac files and burning them to CD. Then I convert them to high bitrate MP3 for the iPod as well.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupine.../collection/94/

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 28 2008, 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (Shifty @ Aug 28 2008, 01:16 AM)
I just got a hold of the Live in Studio XM Radio Broadcast from Nov 2002.  I got the version with the 3 extra acoustic songs plus the interview with Steven Wilson.  Superb of course.  I'm sure a lot of you guys here would already have this.  What do you all think of it??

The XM recording is excellent. Amazing how much they sound like the album. Gavin Harrison's drumming on Tinto Brass really makes the original drummer, Chris Maitland (who is no slouch), seems unadventurous.

that version of tinto brass is amazing....

PT are one of my favorite bands.

First time we saw them live was on the In Absentia tour. Knitting Factory, LA. I felt like my head had been blown off. Intense, amazing show.

Stupid Dream is still my fave PT album, and Dark Matter still my fave PT song.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 28 2008, 10:24 AM)

Torrents should only be a last resort for items no longer available. I recommend downloading the flac files and burning them to CD. Then I convert them to high bitrate MP3 for the iPod as well.

I agree Torrents are always a last resort option for me. I did not know this was available here, thanx for the link.

The only torrent I have ever downloaded of PT is an Audio rip of "Arriving Somwhere"..

I already have the DVD, but I wanted to listen to it on my iPod. And I do not know how to rip audio from a dvd.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 29 2008, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 28 2008, 10:24 AM)

I agree Torrents are always a last resort option for me. I did not know this was available here, thanx for the link.

The only torrent I have ever downloaded of PT is an Audio rip of "Arriving Somwhere"..

I already have the DVD, but I wanted to listen to it on my iPod. And I do not know how to rip audio from a dvd.

Same here. I was too lazy to figure it out. tongue.gif

Dime-a-dozen has a few PT boots to check out. yes.gif