Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I've been getting into PT lately. I recently bought In Absentia, Up the Downstair, and Deadwing. I really loved everything on those three albums so last night I bought Stupid Dream and Fear of a Blank Planet.

My first impression of Fear is that it's really, really, boring. It just seems to drone on forever. The lyrics also seem really repetetive. He talks about being "Stoned in the Mall" in at least two different songs, and I can't count the number of vague references to pills throughout the album. Maybe I'm missing something?

The Alex solo is pretty cool, but it just makes me wonder why he didn't put longer solos like that into some of the Snakes and Arrows songs or CA stuff. All of his solos on those albums seemed unnecessarily abridged.

I haven't really listened to Stupid Dream yet.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Oct 17 2012, 03:06 AM)
My first impression of Fear is that it's really, really, boring. It just seems to drone on forever. The lyrics also seem really repetetive. He talks about being "Stoned in the Mall" in at least two different songs, and I can't count the number of vague references to pills throughout the album. Maybe I'm missing something?

ohmy.gif Don't pay any attention to first impressions, give it a few listens before it opens up. FoaBP definitely contains some of their best work. Get back, like most I'm sure you will see things differently boarder.gif

Oh yeah, and and it is a concept album wink.gif

Edited by Steevo

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 16 2012, 12:47 PM)

ohmy.gif Don't pay any attention to first impressions, give it a few listens before it opens up. FoaBP definitely contains some of their best work. Get back, like most I'm sure you will see things differently boarder.gif

Man what a difference a second listen can make! This time, the title track, Anesthetize, and Sentimental really stood out to me. Musically, Anesthetize has a lot of cool moments.

I'm still not digging the lyrics that much. I knew it was a concept album, but the lyrics still seem repetitive and nondescript to me. I really dig the overall concept though.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Oct 16 2012, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 16 2012, 12:47 PM)

Man what a difference a second listen can make! This time, the title track, Anesthetize, and Sentimental really stood out to me. Musically, Anesthetize has a lot of cool moments.

I'm still not digging the lyrics that much. I knew it was a concept album, but the lyrics still seem repetitive and nondescript to me. I really dig the overall concept though.

I'm a huge PT fan but I don't really like the lyrics for FOABP. The concept is good but the lyrics sound forced. However the music is simply amazing. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 04:23 PM)
I'm a huge PT fan but I don't really like the lyrics for FOABP. The concept is good but the lyrics sound forced. However the music is simply amazing. 1022.gif

In Anesthetize, the instrumental section starting at 9:34 is so awesome. 1022.gif

Also the lyrics in that section are pretty good, but they feel like I've heard them on other FOABP songs.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Oct 23 2012, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Oct 23 2012, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Oct 20 2012, 08:57 PM)
I'm still waiting for a sample of the new live album!

Sounds great can't wait another month though. eh.gif

+2

I already pre-ordered the album from Burning Shed, but this time, since I'm especially impatient for waiting for this one to come out, I'm probably gonna go out to any music store and pick up a copy of the 2CD version there if they stock it on release day. It usually takes me 10 days to receive packages from Burning Shed, and I can't wait that long for this release. I'm more eager to listen to the RAH tracks and hear how they sound.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Oct 23 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Oct 23 2012, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Oct 20 2012, 08:57 PM)
I'm still waiting for a sample of the new live album!

Sounds great can't wait another month though. eh.gif

One of my favorites!

Can't wait for the release.

common001.gif

Three more songs from Octane Twisted are now up for listening (including one of the cuts from the Royal Albert Hall show) through the November 2012 episode of the KScope podcast which focuses on the album with some snippets from the video interview that Richard and Gavin did a few days ago in between songs; some of which weren't featured in the video interview. The songs in the podcast were (in order) The Incident, I Drive The Hearse, Dislocated Day and Stars Die. The songs sound spectacular, especially Dislocated Day.

soundcloud.com/kscopemusic/kscope-podcast-episode-1

Edited by PolarizeMe

WOO HOOO!!

"The following items have been sent:

1 x Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted (2CD + bonus DVD preorder)"

Oh yes.

I got my email notification on Tuesday! I'm excited it's on its way, but it's going to make me want a new PT album even more.

WOO HOOO!!

"The following items have been sent:

1 x Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted (2CD + bonus DVD preorder)"

Oh yes.

I got my email notification on Tuesday! I'm excited it's on its way, but it's going to make me want a new PT album even more.

:(

I got and listened to Octane Twisted last night. I got the regular CD version from Best Buy since I don't really care about the DVD. It sounds great! :haz:

Here's a great interview with Richard Barbieri where he talks about every PT album. He talked about why the Radio City show and the complete Royal Albert Hall audio didn't get released.

http://www.rocksquar...redartists/1548

Rock Square: You’ve included a few tracks from the Royal Albert Hall performance. Had there been plans to release either the Radio City Music Hall show or Royal Albert Hall show in its entirety?

Richard Barbieri: Yes, there were plans. The problem with Radio City was there was a malfunction. Let’s say there was a human error whereby the show wasn’t recorded.

Rock Square: Oops.

Richard Barbieri: Which is a shame. That was a great show. We recorded Albert Hall which wasn’t, for us, technically as good a show. There were some problems. You know, there are always some problems on stage that people don’t notice, but they do cause more hassles than people realize. It wasn’t quite as great for us, even though the occasion was wonderful. So, we had to sift through that a little bit. When we were thinking about possibly releasing it, we found out that Royal Albert Hall charges a huge amount of money to use anything recorded there. It really was prohibitive. We’re talking tens and tens and tens of thousands of Pounds. So, in the end, going back and forth with them again and again, we worked out a deal where we could use some tracks. We thought it would be nice to include some of the older material that we played at Royal Albert Hall onto the second disc of Octane Twisted.

He also seemed pretty confident that there will be another PT album.

It's interesting to hear how Richard (and also Gavin) thought the Radio City show was a better performance than the RAH one, cause a lot of people thought it was the other way around. It's too bad that the Radio City show was not recorded by accident. Had that not happen, I think we might've had a bit more variations with the track list on Disc 2 if they thought that the Radio City show was better.

Nevertheless, I think Octane Twisted is great as it is. I'm still waiting for the Burning Shed edition, but I do have the standard CD version as well, and it sounds great. The Incident sounds better live than the studio IMO, though I slightly like the second disc more than The Incident set right now. Richard had hinted in the KScope video interview that there were other tracks from the RAH show that were considered good enough for potential release but couldn't fit due to time constraints on the CDs. Maybe they'll see the light of day in the future (perhaps on the long awaited Porcupine Tree iPhone app, or as a download EP release like Futile and XM) .

Edited by PolarizeMe

Absolutely awesome live album. Although I like The Incident, it is much better live.

I also prefer Disc 2 though. Stars Die sounds fantastic, and the Russia On Ice/The Pills I'm Taking combo is extremely fun to listen to. Then you have Even Less, Dislocated Day, Hatesong, etc. They're all great to listen to. I'm loving the sound too. It's just very good all around.

I received my Burning Shed Octane Twisted.

AMAZING as always. I love The Incident live far better than the studio version (which I love as well). And disc two kicks major ass.

I can't wait for a new PT album. Although it may be another year or two. Then hopefully another tour.

Best band in the world not named Rush.

Just wondering if the DVD is really great. Anything they put out on video is freaking amazing live footage. The music is great also. Will most likely get it as a gift this holiday season. Hope I have been a good boy this year. If Santa has been keeping tabs on me I will have coal under the tree. Lots of it. Just playin.