HOW????

Necromancer

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Mar 28 2008, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Mar 28 2008, 07:41 AM)
Its like going to an ice cream shop and never ordering anything but a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream everytime.

Hey, I order a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream every time I go into an ice cream shop. I just don't like all those millions of other flavors, and vanilla is just so good.

I hate it when people complain about bands. Sure, there are plenty of bands that I absolutely hate and would never want to listen to in my life, but I don't belittle others because they like those bands. It's all about personal taste and what brings pleasure to your ears. I like the songs and bands I do because I like the way they sound. If I hear a song on the radio that sounds cool, I'll go download that song, I don't care if "the band sucks," if I like it, I'll listen to it. You should never be ashamed of the music you like, and you shouldn't put down those who like something you don't like. Not everyone's mind works in the same way; what's pleasing to one person may be revolting to someone else. The reason Nickelback is so successful is because there are enough people out there who like the way they sound and buy their records because they like them. It's the same thing with liking the way someone looks. Lots of guys think Angelina Jolie is the hottest girl in the world, but I don't think she's good looking at all. Look at her lips, they're the size of watermelons, how is that attractive? Same thing with music; people can like what they want to like.

If you read my original post... the main aspect of this thread isn't JUST to bag on SHITledorks. no.gif I'm asking HOW is it possible that they gained such widespread popularity, when there are TONS of BETTER bands and musicians out there.

The answer seems to be that the majority of people in the world are sheep. It's proven all the time. Movies that suck become huge, politicians that suck get elected, books that blow make millions and BANDS like SpitonDick somehow make BILLIONS.

While we may be the best country in the world... the US has shit for taste when it comes to pop culture.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Mar 28 2008, 04:58 PM)
I hate it when people complain about bands.  Sure, there are plenty of bands that I absolutely hate and would never want to listen to in my life, but I don't belittle others because they like those bands.

But that's what the internet is for.

Plus we're talking about Nickelback here.....I mean, come on.

they should sell their music FOR a nickel, and then when anyone who buys it realizes that it SUCKS they should say.. "hey I want my Nickel BACK!"

I tell my students that the rapper 50 Cent should really be called

"50 PERcent" because he is a FAILURE when it comes to talent :-)

nickelcrap

iwantmynickelbackcuzthissucks

nickelslack

etc.

it fun to act 12 sometimes ;-)

I didn't take the time to read the thread, but I'll chime in with my simple answer to the original question:

"Lowest Common Denominator"

Same reason so much "popular" music isn't very interesting from a strictly musical perspective while really innovative, creative and interesting stuff remains generally obscure to the masses.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Mar 29 2008, 01:07 AM)
QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Mar 28 2008, 04:58 PM)
I hate it when people complain about bands.  Sure, there are plenty of bands that I absolutely hate and would never want to listen to in my life, but I don't belittle others because they like those bands.

But that's what the internet is for.

Plus we're talking about Nickelback here.....I mean, come on.

yes.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 28 2008, 08:43 PM)
By the way, if I do stick up for Nickelbakc in this thread, it's purely to play Devil's Advocate.

IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT I REMOTELY LIKE THEM.

I dunno about that, I reckon every night you go to sleep with Chad Badbeard warbling that bloody awful song from Spiderman in your ears!!

Go on admit it!! All this Muse loving is only a front!!! tongue.gif rofl3.gif

I've noticed that a lot of people who don't normally like heavy rock -- easy-listening folk who like Celine Dion and country music -- they like bands such as Creed and Dicklecrack. What is it about this kind of bland, "heavy" rock that attracts the non-rock fan?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2008, 03:25 PM)
I've noticed that a lot of people who don't normally like heavy rock -- easy-listening folk who like Celine Dion and country music -- they like bands such as Creed and Dicklecrack. What is it about this kind of bland, "heavy" rock that attracts the non-rock fan?

It's the hair.

Has to be the hair.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 29 2008, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 28 2008, 08:43 PM)
By the way, if I do stick up for Nickelbakc in this thread, it's purely to play Devil's Advocate.

IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT I REMOTELY LIKE THEM.

I dunno about that, I reckon every night you go to sleep with Chad Badbeard warbling that bloody awful song from Spiderman in your ears!!

Go on admit it!! All this Muse loving is only a front!!! tongue.gif rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

Come on, look, I spelt it wrong like everyone else here!

But yes, Muse are way too intellectual-like for my tastes. I've always prefered the simpler things in life. Plus, Matt Bellamy looks like a Pigeon crossed with a human ohmy.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2008, 11:25 AM)

it's safe. lyrically and musically safe and predictable. they don't like unsettling surprises.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2008, 11:25 AM)

No idea. I've noticed that with the Limp Bizkit phenomenon too. Many "jock" types came on board because of one song. Same with Manson and "Fight" or "Beautiful People". Folks that would never listen to these bands got brought in by just a particular song that appealed to them.

Maybe TrickleDick appeals to the lowest common denominator of people that WANT to get into heavy stuff, but aren't quite ready for a leap into good stuff like Tool or Pantera or whatever.

I mean... I've been fooled by them once or twice. I'll hear the opening riff or something and think... wow... who's this? Then Kroeger starts singing and everything that was possibly cool about the song goes to hell. They might be acceptable with another singer/lyracist. I dunno. The guitarist really seems to want to break out. I wish him all the luck. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 30 2008, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Mar 30 2008, 11:55 AM)
I feel ashamed that I once owned a Nickleback CD.  eh.gif
They are terrible.

There are support groups for people like you. laugh.gif

There are two in our house against my will. angry.gif My husband confuses the hell out of me. He loves Metallica and AC/DC and stuff like that, and then he has Snicklecrack CD's and a bunch of techno crap by people like Sasha and John Digweed. (I call them Dillweed. He hates that. laugh.gif ) I know it's good to have diverse tastes and expand your horizons and all that, but PLEASE! wtf.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 30 2008, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 30 2008, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Mar 30 2008, 11:55 AM)
I feel ashamed that I once owned a Nickleback CD.  eh.gif
They are terrible.

There are support groups for people like you. laugh.gif

There are two in our house against my will. angry.gif My husband confuses the hell out of me. He loves Metallica and AC/DC and stuff like that, and then he has Snicklecrack CD's and a bunch of techno crap by people like Sasha and John Digweed. (I call them Dillweed. He hates that. laugh.gif ) I know it's good to have diverse tastes and expand your horizons and all that, but PLEASE! wtf.gif

It is also my professional opinion that he is, indeed, confused!!! wacko.gif

Might I suggest aversion therapy - - tie him up in a room with a stinky skunk and blast that techno crap til he pukes - - that should be the end of that!!!

ph34r.gif

Sorry, too much Clockwork Orange in my younger days!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

has anyone noticed that the singer from dickelback look's like shaggy from scooby-doo

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 31 2008, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 31 2008, 09:38 AM)
has anyone noticed that the singer from dickelback look's like shaggy from scooby-doo

That's a huge insult to Shaggy. Come on, man.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2008, 10:25 AM)

Well, no, I like country and some easy listening bands/artists (not a whole lot) but still can't stand most of the new "rock" out there today. I think I hold a high standard when it comes to rock music, perhaps because of 2.gif , but for other music, I just listen to enjoy it no matter how simple OR complex it is.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 26 2008, 03:51 PM)
Will people PLEASE stop splicing derogatory terms into band names?? It makes you sound twelve years old.

Anyways, yeah, Nickelback is lame... but spelling their name "Nickelcock" is worse than the band.

I prefere nickelcock - thats pure awesomeness .

Nickelback - sounds juvenile

anyways - seriously - they are polular because the masses of

people out there , like crappy movies , t.v. shows - and MUSIC .

For good music , and other forms of media , you must search to

the underground .

I agree with Necro's original post..... I've never been able to stand Nickelback no.gif As far as I'm concerned, they're a bunch of posers who know NOTHING about being 'rockstars'. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 26 2008, 03:33 PM)
HOW is it possible that with all the talented musicians in the world... all the great guitarists, and great drummers and bass players... singers, keyboards, horns... etc. etc.... HOW is it possible....

THAT NICKLEBACK IS SUCCESSFUL???

I don't even want to hear it from anyone who even DARES to think this band has ANY talent. KROEGER is the absolute WORST singer in rock... or whatever it is you want to call this pop-crap.

Not only are they successful... but they are HUGE. ohmy.gif

HOW???

confused13.gif

Seriously... they've probably already outsold 2.gif That's just unreal.

THEY SUCK!!! NO VALUE AT ALL. no.gif

CeeJ has that bullshit song, I Wanna Be A Rockstar, or whatever it's called on her MySpace. I almost get VIOLENT when I hear that shit. It totally ruined my ride home as it came on the radio and the driver actually CRANKED it up. ohmy.gif confused13.gif

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT????

Is it just me, or when the guy with the deep voice says... "BEEN THERE... DONE THAT" about the mile high club.... does anyone else's skin just crawl at the LAMENESS???

Discuss. Unless you're pro-NickleCock. Cuz if you are, you obviously have no taste in music and it's impossible to believe you would like 2.gif Therefore you don't belong here.

Like my common sense on that??? tongue.gif

laugh.gif

These guys are DREADFUL!!! AWFUL!!! And I just about get violent whenever I hear them because they are so freaking bad!!! Croaker's voice is one of the worst I have ever heard in music, period. Hopefully we will not have to endure them for very much longer.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2008, 10:25 AM)

What about Hinder??? They suck too!!! More like "Lips of an A-Hole!"

Archived