Vapor Trails vs. S&A

Analogkid1123

I see so many people say VT is better than S&A and i cant understand this.Which is your fav?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. I see so many people say VT is better than S&A and i cant understand this.Which is your fav?

• Snakes and Arrows
    • Vapor Trails

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Vapor Trails, but I think Snakes and Arrows is their strongest effort since Power Windows.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 21 2008, 05:15 AM)
In watching the other song by song poll of these two albums, I needed to revisit this thread.

Personally, S&A is probably one of Rush's most versatile, well-rounded, and mixed albums. Their ability as song writers comes through better than most of their releases. I think they paid more attention to the texture of each song than with the previous release.

I find VT to be difficult to listen to in one sitting. I have listened to what the boys do and they certainly do it well, but VT leaves me feeling empty. Many songs sound similar to the previous one sonicly.

That being said, VT has individually strong songs but collectively the album is far from one of Rush's best while I find S&A to be one of their best.

well said..... goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 21 2008, 06:15 AM)
In watching the other song by song poll of these two albums, I needed to revisit this thread.

On the song by song polls, every time a VT song comes close to an S&A song, I throw up in my mouth a little, and each time a VT song beats an S&A song I full on 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 21 2008, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 21 2008, 06:15 AM)

On the song by song polls, every time a VT song comes close to an S&A song, I throw up in my mouth a little, and each time a VT song beats an S&A song I full on 062802puke_prv.gif

Only two songs for me won on the VT side. One Little Victory, because of it's meaning to my kids hockey season (One little victory at a time, I'd tell them), and How It Is, simply because I really like it musically.

All the others off VT.... 062802puke_prv.gif

I find that S&A is incredibly consistent, and works as a play from start to finish album.

VT I think has some better individual songs to my mind, I just love ghost rider, earthshine and VT, ceiling unlimited and the stars look down, some outstanding songs.

If I was going to do a compilation for the car or something VT has more top class stuff than S&A I think.

But the production and Out of the cradle do take a few points off.

Very tough to choose, but i just go for VT

Tough choice, I like 'em both. VT rocks hard, and has a special place as a comeback album. But I had to go with SnA because I feel the song writing is slightly better, and more varied. The best production since Broon didn't hurt, either.

This one is very tough!

I like the hard rock offered on Vapor Trails, but I also like the laid back nearly bluesy efforts on Snakes and Arrows.

Both album covers suck though. One has what looks to be a flying meatball and the other was a rip off of a book cover.

VT has so much more of a positive vibe though. To quote Geddy, VT has the energy of 2112 and the optimism of Permanent Waves.

Snakes and Arrows lyrically is pessimistic. Not an album to play at a party where one tries to enjoy themselves.

If the lyrics were more optimistic on Snakes and Arrows, that would be the winner for me, since I think the music is better but....

Vapor Trails will have to win this competition. The lyrics are the deciding factor for me.

And like Pags said before, the second half of VT is an all out assault of hard rock tunes (with Sweet Miracle being the one out-of-place tune).

Vapor Trails is my pick here, even though I also like Snakes and Arrows.

Why not make a new thread? That way, you'd have votes that were "better", and not just votes from back when I thought S&A was one of their best albums. Edited by Xanadu93

I was going to radio shows before you knew what TRF was wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 9 2008, 04:01 PM)
I really enjoy VT, despite the mastering...but S&A is their best album since Signals.

Agree on that one. S&A is awesome. I'm sorry but I cannot listen to any song on VT all the way through. Their worst album by FAR IMHO...

Vapor Trails easily. I find it more emotionally satisfying and just a harder rocking, more visceral and complete record overall. It remains closer to the roots of 2.gif. The weaker albums like Snakes & Arrows and Hold Your Fire tend to stray too far from them. S&A is generally slower, more acoustic and unexciting in comparison.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 9 2008, 10:10 AM)
Love them both but I think Snakes & Arrows just edges it for me. Even with improved production on Vapor Trails I think I'd still feel the same way, yet that album does have How It Is on, one of my favourite Rush numbers of all time.

^ This

Love your sig, too biggrin.gif

bumper.gif

Noticed the love for VT in another thread and at the same time said S&A was a release where Rush was struggling. I had to laugh. Regardless, S&A is still a high ranking release in my preference and VT still is near the bottom, mostly because it is a production mess.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 9 2008, 05:01 PM)
I really enjoy VT, despite the mastering...but S&A is their best album since Signals.

Snakes and Arrows is probably the one Rush album I do not like. Mostly weak ass filler.

Vapor Trails is awesome!!!!