neils attitude to touring

tel

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 18 2008, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 17 2008, 05:40 PM)
Where are people getting this idea from that Neil has to wait after shows to say hello to everyone?

He's a musician, and after live shows and albums he doesn't have to give anything else to fans. And as far as 'we pay his wages' goes, our reward for that is having an album that we can enjoy for the rest of our lives.

Some fans are so ungrateful.

He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band. It's always Geddy and Alex. Would it really hurt the guy to come out and speak for 5 or 10 mins to the press or fans? They funny thing is that if he claims to have needed the money, yet can't do the little things to make the fans happy. He'll glad take our money though, because he needs it remember. Sure the guy is an amazing drummer, yes but that has nothing to do with his attitude/personality. He sould leave the BMW at home, this is a tour for the fans, not recreational fun.

The formula they've been using has worked so I say, "Peart, take the motorbike or bicycle or whatever it takes to keep you happy enough to continue making albums & touring with your 'soul brothers' "

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 04:17 PM)
It's certainly no secret he is miserable and grumpy. Us fans pay his wages, it's not fair to treat us like garbage, and hide his face, run to the BMW, and whatnot. Lots of famous musicians who have had contact with him can vouch for that also.

The members of Rush owe us nothing more than a great show... and I have never been disappointed. I'm sure there are enjoyable moments for all of them, but people this is their job and they work very hard to travel all over to allow us to see them live. Just be thankful they are still touring and producing great music. Don't expect any more than that and you won't be disappointed.

This thread probably says more about us than it does about Neil.

I bet that most of the posters who are unhappy with Neil not giving more of his time are the younger Rush fans, early in their own careers or maybe not working full time yet who think that being in a band is all gain and no pain.

Those saying Neil has no further obligation than the music are probably older Rush fans who have a well established job, know the pressures of work and have seen enough of life to know there are plenty of times when you just want to get it over with and have met enough jerks to know that keeping your distance is the best policy.

I'm the proof. 25 years ago I was desperate to meet the band, especially Neil, and pored over every interview, utterance that he produced. Now I can see what space he inhabits mentally and I respect him for being his own man.

Added to all that the misconception some people have that when Rush are playing a show they are just having a ball, no worries, what a fantastic job, great lifestyle etc. It's easy to forget that the show is physically and mentally draining, especially for Neil. They make it look easy but it's not. Other bands play shorter shows, have back up musicians, vocalists, tapes to help them. Rush do it all themselves with immense precision, timing and skill. Two of them have a demeanour that allows them to smile and laugh and goof while accomplishing all that - the other has a demeanour which is all about serious concentration.

So what if Neil is not as outgoing or upbeat in personality as Geddy and Alex - get over it. As I said, if that upsets you then it says more about yourself than it does about him.

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 11:16 PM)

The fact that he hates touring tell us that he doesn't enjoy what he's doing. He seems to think it's a chore or something to please us fans every night. Sure Neil smiles sometimes (not often), but Geddy and Alex always look happy to be delivering themselves to their fans on stage, then behind the drum kit is Oscar the Grouch. Sure we all get miserable at times, but you'd think he could at least try to pretend to be happy at times for the fans. It gets old looking at his long face on the large concert screens all the time. It takes little effort to sort of look happy, besides each person in the crowd has paid big money to see him, and lets be honest, imagine how much more energy the crowd would have if he was a little more in to the show.

The REAL Red Green would never spout off nonsense like that.

You're on crack.

Living on a lighted stage

Approaches the unreal

For those who think and feel

In touch with some reality

Beyond the gilded cage.

Cast in this unlikely role,

Ill-equipped to act,

With insufficient tact,

One must put up barriers

To keep oneself intact.

Living in the Limelight,

The universal dream

For those who wish to seem.

Those who wish to be

Must put aside the alienation,

Get on with the fascination,

The real relation,

The underlying theme.

Living in a fisheye lens,

Caught in the camera eye.

I have no heart to lie,

I can't pretend a stranger

Is a long-awaited friend.

All the world's indeed a stage,

And we are merely players,

Performers and portrayers,

Each another's audience

Outside the gilded cage.

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Feb 18 2008, 12:00 AM)
I for one never understood why neil gets such a free pass with the fans when it comes to his attitude. A grumpy person is still a grumpy person. Personally I wouldnt want to meet Neil anymore than he would want to meet me.

goodpost.gif

Neil's a snob, I understand that, respect his privacy would never infringe upon it. I'm a fan of his music what he gives me with that is good enough.

Also i think Neil enjoys the actual concert performance and crowd reaction.

It's the leading up to and travel inbetween that wear's on him.

QUOTE (LotusLand @ Feb 18 2008, 12:37 PM)
Last time I checked....NP is still touring.  What is the problem.  He doesn't go to Starbucks afterwards with the fans????

Gee, I hope not would think Neil prefer more of a local chain like Arabica Coffeehouse... THEY ROCK! coffee.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by softfilter

Listen up you all you Neil bashers:

You no NOTHING of the man. At the very least you all should be greatful that he has shared his incredible talent and poured his heart and soul into his work for the last 30+ years.

If you've nothing good to say, then save yourself some typing and do the rest of us a favor by shutting the f**k up.

To come on here and bitch and complain because you didn't get a hand shake or a smile makes YOU the complainer look like a JACKASS.

Pathetic ungreatful whiney little rats.

"He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band...."

In some ways, I think Neil does more PR for the band than the other guys...he regularly posts to his blog...he's revealed some of his innermost feelings about other people, his work, the music (and thus himself) in his books. He just chooses to do it in a different way than most people...but that's also how he plays drums, composes lyrics and, most likely, lives his life. Not better, or worse...just different.

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 17 2008, 06:34 PM)
Yes, we all know exactly how Neil feels touring, pumping out 3 hours shows* night after night because we're all famous musicians who do the same, right?  sarcasm.gif  We have every right to call him miserable or whatever because we've all been in those shoes before.

*Excuse me, 3 hours plus a drum solo that would put most of our own workouts to shame!

Well lets not forget that we pay big dollars to see that also. Yes generally they do put on a great show for us, but if Neil doesn't like touring then why is he doing it? for the money! To say he hates touring, what does that tell us fans? I don't really appreciate his attitude, trying to get off the stage as fast as he can, hiding his face and whatnot. Anyways this thread is about his attitude towards touring, and there isn't much to debate what kind of attitude he has. The guy should lighten up and show some appreciation for his fans, as I'm sure he is lining his retirement funds account and investments with our money.

and I'm sure he thinks you should just lighten up and take what he gives you. No one's asking you to be a huge Neil fan, or even Rush.

Imagine leaving to go to work and not getting back to your wife, home and your own bed for months on end......don't fancy that much, do you??

Another thing to remember is, whatever questions you will ask or "Man your great" kinda statement you would say to him (lets be honest, you aint gonnae say something totally original). Imagine hearing that time after time/night after night, especially when your missing your wife etc etc.

Neil more now than ever avoids publicity stuff to save him from any questions about the sad things that have happened to him over the years and let's be honest, he would be asked they questions....guaranteed.

And as far as looking grumpy during a show....I know what my face would look like if I was trying to do a million and one things at the same time, with the added pressure that your band mates are relying on you and there are 1000's of people wathching.

By the way, I sent my copy of Roadshow into the SECC in Glasgow and got it back less than a week later with a nice personalised message & signed by the man himself....not many "rock stars" would bother with doing that.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 18 2008, 12:47 PM)
It'd be nice if Neil at least acted happy, like Alex and Geddy 2.gif

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm not totally grateful that Neil has kept touring all these years, despite all he's been through. I'm just saying, i'd be nice he looked a little happier, i'm not saying he has to, I don't think anyone on here likes it when he looks grumpy!

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 04:07 PM)
Where are people getting this idea from that Neil has to wait after shows to say hello to everyone?

He's a musician, and after live shows and albums he doesn't have to give anything else to fans. And as far as 'we pay his wages' goes, our reward for that is having an album that we can enjoy for the rest of our lives.

He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band. It's always Geddy and Alex. Would it really hurt the guy to come out and speak for 5 or 10 mins to the press or fans? They funny thing is that if he claims to have needed the money, yet can't do the little things to make the fans happy. He'll glad take our money though, because he needs it remember. Sure the guy is an amazing drummer, yes but that has nothing to do with his attitude/personality. He sould leave the BMW at home, this is a tour for the fans, not recreational fun.

Why do you think Neil should leave the BMW at home? no.gif A big stress release is needed from fans who think Neil SHOULD do anything...What he and his Family do after the show is no ones business. 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ Feb 18 2008, 01:15 PM)
Imagine leaving to go to work and not getting back to your wife, home and your own bed for months on end......don't fancy that much, do you??

Another thing to remember is, whatever questions you will ask or "Man your great" kinda statement you would say to him (lets be honest, you aint gonnae say something totally original). Imagine hearing that time after time/night after night, especially when your missing your wife etc etc.
Neil more now than ever avoids publicity stuff to save him from any questions about the sad things that have happened to him over the years and let's be honest, he would be asked they questions....guaranteed.

And as far as looking grumpy during a show....I know what my face would look like if I was trying to do a million and one things at the same time, with the added pressure that your band mates are relying on you and there are 1000's of people wathching.

By the way, I sent my copy of Roadshow into the SECC in Glasgow and got it back less than a week later with a nice personalised message & signed by the man himself....not many "rock stars" would bother with doing that.

The only problem i have with comments like this is, Alex and Geddy are going through the same thing(missing wives and family) and being told "Man your great" night after night. But they have to be available to the public and media night after night(meet & greets, interviews) I understand Neil should rightfully be cut some slack from what he went through in his life. But let's be honest, he's always been somewhat detached from public relations aspects from the beginning nothing new here.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 18 2008, 02:28 PM)

The only problem i have with comments like this is, Alex and Geddy are going through the same thing(missing wives and family) and being told "Man your great" night after night. But they have to be available to the public and media night after night(meet & greets, interviews) I understand Neil should rightfully be cut some slack from what he went through in his life. But let's be honest, he's always been somewhat detached from public relations aspects from the beginning nothing new here.

I just think different people deal with things different ways. Maybe for Ged and Alex, it helps them to be out in the public, but Neil isn't that way; he'd rather stay out of it.

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 06:07 PM)

He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band. It's always Geddy and Alex. Would it really hurt the guy to come out and speak for 5 or 10 mins to the press or fans?

Neil didn't do any promo work when VT came out because he didn't want to be pestered with questions about the death of his daughter and wife that no doubt some jerk would have asked about. I can certainly understand that and don't fault him in the least for ducking the press.

As far as interacting with the fans, some fans are nuts and make him extremely uncomfortable. I understand that too and find no fault. Would it be nice if he was a little more personable? Sure. But Neil owes the fans nothing except to put on a show when they buy the tickets and he certainly does that.

Neil has done a few promos/interviews for S&A, admittedly nowhere near the amount Alex & Geddy do, but he is starting to come out of his shell again as far as the press goes. But. imo, he will never be caught backstage glad handing fans for an hour or two making chit chat. After all, the man himself told us he "can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend."

schla03.gif

....wakes up, fetches paper, runs bath water, pops a beer....

trink38.gif ...turns on the computer... trink38.gif ...scans therushforum.... trink38.gif

spit6ph.gif

Whaaa? Another Neil isn't nice/smiley/friendly/schmoozy/sneezy/dopey/happy/toothy enough thread?

No Way.

Well, at least it's a fresh topic.

b_sigh.gif

...mmm beer...

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

schla03.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 17 2008, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tom C @ Feb 17 2008, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Sign Of Eth @ Feb 17 2008, 04:29 PM)
I don't agree that he treats us fans like "garbage."

I do. He tried to hide from me when I was stalking him in a restaurant on a ferry.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Ah, so you're friends with Nickslick then eh? I do remember his story on another board of seeing Neil on a ferry and Neil hid his face in the menu. For someone who wasn't watching (Nickslick) knew exactly what he ate and drank and how much of each. Is it no wonder he wants his privacy? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 18 2008, 08:28 PM)

Ged & Alex don't have a problem with doing all the interviews so why should you? Try & be as supportive of Neil as they are.

And if i'm not mistaken, is a meet & greet not about 30 seconds tops with no questions??