Do you still keep in contact with friends from...

Padfoot

Well, it's a life lesson actually. We all go in different ways eventually.

After high school, I took the hint from Rush's "Turn the Page" and that song came out just 3 months after my graduation. "We disengage, we turn the page" took on personal meaning for me at the time because that's exactly what was happening. We were going in different directions to start college, to take on full-time jobs, to move away, etc...

Leave it to Rush to release new material that address issues that you are dealing with at the same time. trink39.gif

A lot of those kids you know from Kindergarten all the way up to your high school graduation and then all of a sudden everything changes.

I hated high school as much as the next person, but after it was done, I kinda missed the familiarity of it all especially when September came around. The night of my graduation I felt glad that it was all over but reality never really sank in until September when I didn't have to get into my car and go to school and hang out with folks in the smoking area before the first bell rang. Those folks were gone and a kind of loneliness sets in.

Last October when I went to my 20 year reunion, it was a surreal experience. Most folks were friendly to me, even the ones I never really got to know in high school or didn't like. I figured that whatever issues we had then were no more because we'd grown up and forgotten them or moved passed them.

No - my crowd from Highschool isn't one that I could continue to hang out with. no.gif

There are a few I wish I had kept in touch with but if it was ment to be it would have been. sad.gif

Funny thing is I do talk to and hang out with some of the girls that Pags went to highschool with and consider them good friends.

Friends in general and how long you have them or how the are obtained are never the same from one person to the next. The reason they are in our lives are just that, some are ment to be in our lives for a lifetime others are there to get us though a specific time.

Have an open mind towards new friends that person sitting next to you in math class may just be the same person you end up having wheel chair races with in the nursing home! smile.gif

I've gone back and looked up some really old friends, one who was a best friend from around age 8-10 or so and one who was a best friend from around 11-13. I talked to one of them on the phone once, and one of them on the phone twice.

While it was great fun to reminisce about many things, we had become such different people that eventually there was nothing left to talk about. Once we had done reminiscing, the only things that would have kept the friendships going in the present were common interests or some kind of spark that just wasn't there anymore.

There are people who you meet and are close with and it works out to be friends with for a short time and some you meet who it works out for many years or decades. I still do have friends from when I was a teen and from my early 20's that I keep in touch with regularly and I'm truly grateful for them and that we're still close. It just so happens most of those people weren't from high school.

To find friends you really click with where you remain close for many years and decades can be a rare thing in my experience. They are well worth treasuring and holding on to...

Nope not a one. I went to my 20th reunion a few years ago & couldn't even get a conversation going with anyone. It was just like high school, so I left after about an hour of not talking to anyone. I wasn't surprised, I hadn't talked to anyone since I graduated anyways. Everyone I have been friends with have come & gone over the years except one.

I have one very good friend that I have had for 20+ years. He is more like a brother at this point. We have the same birthday but I am a year older, a fact he never lets me forget as we are never the same age. He even went so far as to ask my mom what time I was born to make sure I am always older than him. (I am because I was born earlier in the day than him wacko.gif )

No, I broke off all contact with that shower of wankers years ago. Teenage years are strange, when I look back at the "friends" I made back then I shudder. Don't know what I was thinking.

The friends I made when I was in Primary school and others from different schools, they became friends for life.

I wouldn't go to a school reunion for love nor money. Well I might, just to call them all wankers.

I rarely randomly run into people I went to school with but one of my better friends from high school is still a very good friend that I talk to all of the time. I went out with him last weekend to help him pick out an amp after helping his wife pick out a guitar for him she got him as a surprise.

Wow, after reading these posts I feel pretty lucky to have a few really good friends from high school. We pretty much only get together during RUSH tours or on the odd summer vacation (I now live 900+ miles away), but we still talk on the phone, occasionally seek support, but mostly just crack each other up! When we get together it's like we never lost a beat.

I agree with most of you that high school pretty much sucked in most respects, but I guess these enduring friendships were worth the seemingly endless hours of B.S..

P.S. Guess who chose teaching as a career! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 6 2008, 12:54 AM)
Over here in Britain the school system is different and you leave "high school" at 16 and then have the option to go onto college while 18(+) and then university.

Not everywhere we don't. What you're referring to only happens in the cities, not in the smaller areas.

I'm only 6 months past leaving school, so one would think there wouldn't be too much of a gap. Christmas is the time everyone usually comes back to see each other, and I went out the second night I was back, which everyone arranged, and the annual New Years Eve bash at someones house. Apart from that I haven't really seen anyone.

I still talk to people on MSN, but I've got an awful feeling we've outgrown each other.

Funny to see this topic because I hung out with friends I had in high school this weekend, one of which I am still friends with today (Laura). Her and I reconnected after college when we came back home and needed to hang out with some people.

But, it's never the same. Everyone changes so much in college that hanging out after can be strange. For Laura and I, we were in the same group of friends but never hung out 1-on-1 in high school, but we do now. I don't even talk to my best friend from high school since we had a falling out right as we got to college and she never let go of a grudge to this day (over a boy, of all things!)

So, this weekend it was fun to see some familiar faces again, but I doubt we'll get coffee and catch up more anytime soon. I don't feel as though I'm losing out since I made the closest frienships in college and now. I'm 25, so not a whole lot of time has passed... but enough to lose contact and not really have the urge to go back to "those times". They were sh!tty enough for me anyways laugh.gif

I don't have contact with anyone from H.S. Mostly because I went to school in California and then moved to Colorado. As has been previously stated by others my high-school years sucked. I moved to California from Chicago and the school I was in was for snooty kids. It was like a right of passage to get a car like a corvette or Trans-am(they were popular then) as soon as you hit 16. My parents couldn't afford anything like that. The only people who didn't care if you were rich or poor were the stoners, which is what I became. Spent all my time on the field get loaded. I had a big group who liked Rush and went to all the concerts together, but when I stopped getting loaded you find you really have nothing in common with them. From time to time I will hear from a few friends from Chicago who I went to grade school with.

I ran into some folks when I moved back to my hometown after a few years living all over Canada.

THey were all into the nuclear family thing and the big house with boat, motorhome and shit.

Nothing in common.

I did laugh at one person though. She always thought she was shit hot. And a real bitch.

She's a hooker now rofl3.gif

I just went to Panera Bread and got a salad. Our high school valedictorian Buffie was inside eating lunch. I had gone to pick mine up and take it back to my office. I waved hello to her and she waved back. She was on her cell phone, so I didn't bother her.

Nope. Funny thing is that when I broke up with my high school boyfriend they all started hating me, so surprising then that the boyfriend went out with one of them. wacko.gif I do still talk to my best friend from Middle school, we rarely hang out and don't speak often but we still consider each other best friends. As it should be.

Archived