Coheed & Cambria

The Dali

This may have been discussed previously, but since I'm a newbie and didn't find it in the search records I thought I'd throw it out there...

Any Rush fans like Coheed and Cambria? I just got into them about 2 months ago (I was watching some music channel and their recent song The Running Free came on and I was hooked)... I liken them to a mixture of Rush and Iron Maiden with fewer solos.

Just wondering what people think out there... later.

I really like them, and I think I only know 1 other person that likes them :$

Not sure why everyone hates them, or why I like them for that matter, but its just the way it is.

Rush are one of their main influences, whether they sound like them or not. They have fairly complex lyrics because all their songs are written about a story that Claudio Sanchez wrote. They're kinda prog rock/metal as well, I guess.

They wrote a song called 2113 which isn't really anything like 2112, but is good all the same

I just got their Good Apollo CD for Xmas. The Verdict isn't out yet...but I think they may grow on me. It took a few rounds before I really started to like Porcupine tree, and I imagine the same thing will need to happen for Coheed & Cambria as well.

QUOTE (J0N @ Dec 27 2007, 04:44 PM)
Rush are one of their main influences, whether they sound like them or not.

I seem to remember Claudio Sanchez saying he had never heard Rush until people compared his band to them. Anyways, I think No World For Tomorrow is really lameeee... I used to be into their old stuff a lot though. Not so much anymore.

There ok, Claudio has quite the range in his singing but he does sound too whiny imo. The guitarists are good but I think they get a little too repetitive with the riffs and sometimes too cheesy, and I don't think c&c sounds too similar too Rush, I think it's just because both singers have a wide range in the vocals even though they don't sound too similar. Maybe people compare them because they both make epic sci-fi themed prog rock, but still, Rush has an older rock sound and c&c has a more modern rock sound. I still enjoy them though, they even used to be my favorite band. Edited by PlanetJeff

Gave them a listen.

First song sounded like the Chipmunks version of Rush....deleted it immediately.

Second song was an acoustic version of Faint of Heart. This one got two listens....and is a keeper. Nice harmonies (very distinctive voices, for sure), and guitar work was great.

Thanks for passing them along. Always fun checking out new music.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Dec 30 2007, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Dec 27 2007, 04:44 PM)
Rush are one of their main influences, whether they sound like them or not.

I seem to remember Claudio Sanchez saying he had never heard Rush until people compared his band to them. Anyways, I think No World For Tomorrow is really lameeee... I used to be into their old stuff a lot though. Not so much anymore.

Yah, the band has never cited Rush as a influence. I still to this day don't think they sound like Rush. But Coheed may still go down as one of my favorite bands. To me, almost everything they did has been flawless.

Mustard you should give No World For Tomorrow another listen, especially Feathers.

The only I've heard of them so far is "Welcome Home" off the Rock Band soundtrack. Have mixed feelings about that track... I find that song like 85 percent awesome and 15 percent... well gay. I hate it when bands do that - I have the same feelings for a couple of Flyleaf tunes - parts of the song can be so heavy and intense and awesome then they'll slip into some shitty soprano poppy rap garbage or something... I blame those buttwads Linkin Park for that by the way...

Anyways they piqued my curiosity enough for me to want to check out some more of their stuff, which i will certainly do one of these days soon.

I want my $ back.

QUOTE (J0N @ Dec 27 2007, 03:44 PM)

Not sure why everyone hates them, or why I like them for that matter, but its just the way it is.

Rush are one of their main influences, whether they sound like them or not. They have fairly complex lyrics because all their songs are written about a story that Claudio Sanchez wrote. They're kinda prog rock/metal as well, I guess.
They wrote a song called 2113 which isn't really anything like 2112, but is good all the same

I think 2113 and 2112 is just a major coincidence, because during the song 2113 "Time Consumer," another Coheed song is reprised. So it is just part of The Amory Wars story.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jan 3 2008, 10:31 PM)

I think 2113 and 2112 is just a major coincidence, because during the song 2113 "Time Consumer," another Coheed song is reprised. So it is just part of The Amory Wars story.

I'm listening to "2113" now. LOL

GOTTA be a shout out to Rush

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (PlanetJeff @ Dec 30 2007, 03:08 AM)
There ok, Claudio has quite the range in his singing but he does sound too whiny imo. The guitarists are good but I think they get a little too repetitive with the riffs and sometimes too cheesy, and I don't think c&c sounds too similar too Rush, I think it's just because both singers have a wide range in the vocals even though they don't sound too similar. Maybe people compare them because they both make epic sci-fi themed prog rock, but still, Rush has an older rock sound and c&c has a more modern rock sound. I still enjoy them though, they even used to be my favorite band.

goodpost.gif

and they both have white alpine doublenecks!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 5 2008, 06:45 AM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jan 3 2008, 10:31 PM)

I'm listening to "2113" now. LOL

GOTTA be a shout out to Rush

rofl3.gif

Not really. As a former "Amory Wars" geek bitch, I can explain... 2113 (the "secret" track from In Keeping Secrets) is the song "Everything Evil" (from the first album, Second Stage) from a different characters point of view. The events of the story represented in this song take place while the clock is at 21:13.

LOVE Coheed! My 3rd favorite band behind Rush and Dream Theater! Highly original band too. I dont see anyone else doing a 4 album concept (5 if you count the graphic novel thats actually the 1st part of the story) Some people get put off by the vocals and some because they dont know what the hell the lyrics are about, especially if you dont know any of the story.

I will also say they are an excellent live band with some of the most devoted fans you will ever see. I was up in the front for the last show a few months ago and I could actually hear the crowd singing louder than Claudio's vocals more times than not.

For anyone looking to get into them, I would recommend checking out "In keep secrets of silent earth 3", specifically the title track. Then I would check out "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV". Excellent stuff.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 16 2008, 08:12 AM)
They were a decent pop punk band who started trying way too hard to be pretentious. The ambition outweighs the talent in this case though. Their first album is far and away their best.

You must not like prog rock/metal tongue.gif

Oh, I love the metal. I'm metal as f**k! *Viking pose* laugh.gif

and I love prog like Rush, Genesis, and Yes. Just not Coheed so much. I don't know if I've ever heard a wussier rock song than "Blood Red Summer". Just to be somewhat positive though I will admit that Claudio has some sweet hair.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 16 2008, 05:25 PM)
Oh, I love the metal. I'm metal as f**k! *Viking pose* laugh.gif

and I love prog like Rush, Genesis, and Yes. Just not Coheed so much. I don't know if I've ever heard a wussier rock song than "Blood Red Summer". Just to be somewhat positive though I will admit that Claudio has some sweet hair.

Listen to "Wake up", way wussier haha. I love it though. Any love song that has the line "I'll do anything for you, kill anyone for you", is cool in my book biggrin.gif