Coheed & Cambria

The Dali

i read that C&C recorded some material for the new rush tribute disc on magna carta records. the new tribute disc has mostly songs from the first two tribute discs with a handful of new tunes. the first tribute disc working man was great but the second was pretty weak IMO.

I personally don't understand all the Rush comparisons either. They begin and end with just having a high-pitched vocalist. Claudio (or at least earlier Claudio) does sound like a mix between Geddy Lee, Michael Jackson, and Billy Corgan.

YotBR is kicking my ass!!! Easily my 2nd favorite album by them behind IKS. Far and Pearl Of The Stars are stronger ballads than they've ever had before. I wished they'd end the album on a higher note though, they've done droning final tracks for 3 albums now.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 11 2010, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 4 2010, 11:02 PM)
So I'm trying to listen to all of my 2010 albums a lot to get familiar with them, and YotBR is up next. I'm going to try and give it another listen tomorrow - no promises, but I promised myself that I wouldn't just base the record on that first listen. This listen may kick me in the teeth, and it might just kick up a little cloud of dust; but whatever the case, I'll listen to it with open ears and an open mind.

So.. What did you think the first time?? confused13.gif

Claudio's vocals are annoying and the music was mostly unimpressive. A few interesting points, but not enough for me to want to listen to it again. Sorry, it's just not my cup of tea.

Alright time for a final review laugh.gif

I like the guitar work... And I like how they explore with synth... Just the right amount too. Good melodies & Variety throughout the album.

• The Broken - 4/5

Good song, not perfect but good..

• Guns of Summer - 5/5

I love this song, it's pretty much all I love about Coheed.

• Here We Are Juggernaut - 5/5

Same goes here

• Far - 4/5

Different from all of their other songs, and pretty good.

• This Shattered Symphony - 5/5

Dark like most songs in NWFT were, but here it really works!

• World of Lines - 4/5

Good song

• Made out of Nothing - 4/5

Gets better and better as it goes..

• Pearl of Stars 3.5/5

One of a kind just like Far, and I like the use of keys here.. But it's kind of dull overall

• In the Flame of Error - 5/5

NICE!

• When Skeletons Live - 5/5

Best song off the album next to tracks 3 & 4.. Amazing Guitar work all throughout the song.. Great synths.. Love the melody.

• The Black Rainbow - 3/5

Really lame way to end the album.. Compare this to Light & the Glass... Only disappointing bit of the album.

(And, if you're curious:)

2STB - 9.5/10

IKSOTSE3 - 10/10

GAIABS4 - 8/10

NWFT - 5.5/10

YOTBR - 9.5/10

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 11 2010, 01:33 AM)
@#@@#@ATTENTION@#@@%@%@@

at the end of When Skeletons live.. Starting at 3:45

Does that guitar riff sound extremely familiar to anyone else?

Can't put my finger on it

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 11 2010, 10:00 AM)
So I'm trying to listen to all of my 2010 albums a lot to get familiar with them, and YotBR is up next. I'm going to try and give it another listen tomorrow - no promises, but I promised myself that I wouldn't just base the record on that first listen. This listen may kick me in the teeth, and it might just kick up a little cloud of dust; but whatever the case, I'll listen to it with open ears and an open mind.

Claudio's vocals are annoying and the music was mostly unimpressive. A few interesting points, but not enough for me to want to listen to it again. Sorry, it's just not my cup of tea.

Tim, I'm a huge Coheed fan, but the new album doesn't do it for me at all.

I've listened to it ten times and still I can't connect to it.

I do love all of the other albums though.

"Black Rainbow" is a Black Hole.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 18 2010, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 11 2010, 01:33 AM)
@#@@#@ATTENTION@#@@%@%@@

at the end of When Skeletons live.. Starting at 3:45

Does that guitar riff sound extremely familiar to anyone else?

Can't put my finger on it

I bet it's either a riff from another song of theirs or an unintentional rip of a Dream Theater riff....

Edited by Kenneth

Before I really knew their music I had a chance to see them live and they were the greatest live band I've ever seen just behind Rush, I thenk bought all their albums not too kneen on their new release though

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 18 2010, 10:47 PM)
Before I really knew their music I had a chance to see them live and they were the greatest live band I've ever seen just behind Rush, I thenk bought all their albums not too kneen on their new release though

I read you man.

I saw the last two shows of the "Neverender" Tour in Los Angeles and I was fukking blown away.

This new album sadly rubs me the wrong way.

Is Claudio suffering from "writer's block?"

Maybe he should lay off the comic books and bullshit and get back to the music.

Too many chapters in an endless cycle.

End it and move on to something fresh.

1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2010, 05:21 AM)
Don't know any of this band's material, but I guess to see PT I'm going to have to learn some. biggrin.gif

vice-versa for me (if I even see them), I really just can't get into PT at all.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2010, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 11 2010, 10:00 AM)

Tim, I'm a huge Coheed fan, but the new album doesn't do it for me at all.

I've listened to it ten times and still I can't connect to it.

I do love all of the other albums though.

"Black Rainbow" is a Black Hole.

Well judging by what 93 said he didn't like about the album (just noticed the 93 represents 1993 as I'm typing this, btw..) there's little hope he'll like anything by them...

But, Xanny, I think "Second Stage Turbine Blade" (their first album) should be one last chance you give coheed (said last chance assuming you're done with them..)

this guy has a playlist of the whole album:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PyrHead#p/c/A2461DFD78E863A9

or, you can listen to it somewhere better, or torrent it, whatever works, just don't buy it if you're not sure you'll like it or not.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 24 2010, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2010, 05:21 AM)
Don't know any of this band's material, but I guess to see PT I'm going to have to learn some.  biggrin.gif

vice-versa for me (if I even see them), I really just can't get into PT at all.

I'm totally pissed off! It's true! Tangy was right!

Porcupine Tree is playing without C&C at The Warfield on the 10th!

That totally sucks. The only good news is I get Rush on the 9th and then PT on the 10th.

Can't really complain, but to see Coheed with PT would have been the Ultimate Trifecta within a 48 hour period.

sad.gif

Coheed is my 2nd favorite band behind 2.gif and at times they've even overtaken rush...For me every song in their catalog is amazing, from sstb to yotbr. Sure, there's some less amazing songs, but they've never done anything that I don't looove.

Favorites: 33, Junesong Provision, Time Consumer, The Camper Velourium II: Backend of Forever, The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court, Once Upon Your Dead Body, The End Complete III: The End Complete, The Black Rainbow

Least Favorites: Devil in Jersey City, Blood Red Summer, Always and Never, The Running Free, Pearl of the Stars, Far

I've tried, but I just can't get into them. I need to be able to understand at least every third word in the vocals so I can get the gist of what the song is about. Maybe it's been bad luck, but it seems that just about every song I've tried to listen to has been completely unintelligible.

That said, musically, they've got some good songs, I think. And Welcome Home made me want to see the movie 9, which was nowhere near as good as the trailer (largely due to that song).

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 04:44 AM)
It's been a month, and I think this may be my favorite coheed album.. It's hard say within just a month, but still..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wEyCuKSRE

Kenneth, I owe you a big "thank you" for this so: THANK YOU! laugh.gif

I actually clicked on that link out of curiosity/boredom the other day and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked what I heard. I've always liked C & C's music but I just couldn't get past Claudio's helium-range voice, it just grated on me so I was really blown away to hear that he's calmed down his voice. And yes, I know that's a strange thing for a Rush fan to say considering what Ged sounds like (especially in the early days) but there we have it. I may not ever like any of C & C's earlier stuff, but I bought Year of the Black Rainbow yesterday and I'm really enjoying it! I think we all realize that Rush are getting a bit long in the tooth and probably don't have that many albums left in them so I've been looking for a successor to get into when Rush finally retire and it looks like I've found them in C & C.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 3 2010, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 04:44 AM)
It's been a month, and I think this may be my favorite coheed album.. It's hard say within just a month, but still..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wEyCuKSRE

Kenneth, I owe you a big "thank you" for this so: THANK YOU! laugh.gif

I actually clicked on that link out of curiosity/boredom the other day and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked what I heard. I've always liked C & C's music but I just couldn't get past Claudio's helium-range voice, it just grated on me so I was really blown away to hear that he's calmed down his voice. And yes, I know that's a strange thing for a Rush fan to say considering what Ged sounds like (especially in the early days) but there we have it. I may not ever like any of C & C's earlier stuff, but I bought Year of the Black Rainbow yesterday and I'm really enjoying it! I think we all realize that Rush are getting a bit long in the tooth and probably don't have that many albums left in them so I've been looking for a successor to get into when Rush finally retire and it looks like I've found them in C & C.

You're welcome! Glad you like it! smile.gif

pretty easy to get into YOTBR. liking guns of summer and we are juggernaut. i initially did not like Far but it has grown on me.

i have a pattern of getting into new groups after the have booked a gig in the area. I had heard of C&C ( and PT ) for years before i got into them and both times it was motivated by the fact i was going to see them live.