Coheed & Cambria

The Dali

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Apr 8 2010, 01:27 PM)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/shinkleface/l_02f710c9b6344da79488a8acc4a2d352.jpg

So, C&C has uploaded their whole entire "year of the black rainbow" album on their myspace, I remember in 2007 they did the same with NWFT. I'm listening to it right now, and all I can say is it's pretty f***ing awesome! biggrin.gif

I might check it out later...... thanks for the heads up .

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 8 2010, 04:00 PM)
5 Days to go. For once, I think I'll wait until I can listen to it on my system.

I always like to wait until the release date, but since today(Or well, yesterday now) is my birthday, I kind of thought of it as destiny and listened to it!

Edited by KennethRush

QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 10 2010, 10:22 PM)
I'm waiting to listen to the album until I receive my deluxe edition in the mail, even though it's available online. smile.gif 1022.gif

Me too! I can't wait to read the novel. Going to see them on May 3rd. I'm so pumped!!! 1022.gif

So, I've had all of two days to soak this album. Listened to it countless times, and relegated MGMT's new offering to the 'Who cares' pile, which I never though would happen.

If Year of the Black Rainbow doesn't elevate C&C to near-superstardom levels, even if only in the rock world, there are serious injustices occuring. Prog and all it's sub-genres appears to be rising in stock and with Muse going more pop by the song, let alone the album, C&C are ready-made to be the poster boys. I'd normally be reserved about throwing out hefty claims like 'this is their Moving Pictures', and rarely do I enjoy comparing one artists work to another, but the adage does fit. YotBR is C&C's masterpiece, highlighting a band that has become comfortable with the ever-growing epic nature of the bands concepts, songs and albums; I felt the band sounded uncomfortable on most of NWFT playing stadium sized songs. Not to forget the variety on the album. Who would have imagined C&C writing one song like Guns Of Summer, let alone three that happen to be back-to-back on the album. It sounds like an exciting new direction for the band and one I hope they pursue regardless of the conclusion of the Amory Wars storyline. The familiar melodic 'emo' style is still here, but it's taking a backseat showing a growing maturity. YotBR is hard-hitting in places, cohesive, interesting yet familiar, fist-pumping and delicate at the same time; it's a triumph.

Hmm... today IS the release date. I'll see if I can pick it up later tonight; MH, your review has made me more interested in this record. I can't believe I don't own a thing by C&C.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif The album is aweome... 1022.gif I mean, I'm nearly speechless... It is one of those perfect, untouchable albums. They took elements from their past music and present music... mixed them perfectly, and God... I was just stunned. I am so happy to be a fan of this band right now, while concert tickets are still only 50$ for a decent seat. This is by far my favorite Coheed album. Not to undermine the other ones, but YOTBR just hit me perfectly. They got the prog element down without losing the essence of the band's character. My words don't do it justice.

In other news, I'm going to meet Claudio Sanchez again on Thursday. He's doing a signing nearby because they are playing Coachela this weekend. I think the whole band might possibly be there this time though... I'm going to get all of my stuff signed. I would get everyone else's stuff signed too, except I didn't know I would be going until just today. Sorry...

I mean... unless you can somehow get me your stuff by Thursday 4pm... Then I'd be happy to get whatever signed for anybody... You'll have to be willing to pay overnight shipping fees though.

wub.gif

Edited by udanax

QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 14 2010, 04:59 AM)
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif The album is aweome... 1022.gif I mean, I'm nearly speechless... It is one of those perfect, untouchable albums. They took elements from their past music and present music... mixed them perfectly, and God... I was just stunned. I am so happy to be a fan of this band right now, while concert tickets are still only 50$ for a decent seat. This is by far my favorite Coheed album. Not to undermine the other ones, but YOTBR just hit me perfectly. They got the prog element down without losing the essence of the band's character. My words don't do it justice.

In other news, I'm going to meet Claudio Sanchez again on Thursday. He's doing a signing nearby because they are playing Coachela this weekend. I think the whole band might possibly be there this time though... I'm going to get all of my stuff signed. I would get everyone else's stuff signed too, except I didn't know I would be going until just today. Sorry...

I mean... unless you can somehow get me your stuff by Thursday 4pm... Then I'd be happy to get whatever signed for anybody... You'll have to be willing to pay overnight shipping fees though.

wub.gif

Just buy each of us an album and send it over wink.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 14 2010, 05:16 AM)
QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 14 2010, 04:59 AM)
biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif The album is aweome...  1022.gif I mean, I'm nearly speechless... It is one of those perfect, untouchable albums. They took elements from their past music and present music... mixed them perfectly, and God... I was just stunned. I am so happy to be a fan of this band right now, while concert tickets are still only 50$ for a decent seat. This is by far my favorite Coheed album. Not to undermine the other ones, but YOTBR just hit me perfectly.  They got the prog element down without losing the essence of the band's character. My words don't do it justice.

wub.gif

Just buy each of us an album and send it over wink.gif

Well, you'll have to pay me back then tongue.gif I'm a poor college student. Actually, I don't know if I even have enough money in the first place to do that... sad.gif

Must've blasted this 20 times in the past few days. It's tied with IKS as my favorite so far (nothing they do will top that IKS I'm afraid). Incredible album! Standouts for me are Guns Of Summer, Far, and In The Flame Of Error

Saw them last night!!! Although I wasnt particularly excited with Torche, Circa Survive was a very interesting and energetic opening band... Coheed on the other hand, sounded so so amazing!!! It was a great way to celebrate my birthday. I was very happy with the setlist. They played a lot of great YOTBR songs as well as many older ones that I really enjoy like Everything Evil, Al the Killer, Time Consumer, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3, and Untitled.

1022.gif

I was also one of the people referred to this band from a Rush fan who said they sounded a lot like Rush.

They both have high pitched vocalists....similarities end.

I really don't like Coheed. I think they suck. Sorry to anyone who likes them but god I can't stand them.

Its become one of my personal pet peeves when someone tells me they sound like Rush. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I just try to tune it out.

They are ok...

they are one of the 3-4 bands that always seems to pop up on RUSH related forums and discussions that constitue most RUSH fans forays into modern heavy (er) rock (along with Porcupine Tree)

But I do like some of their songs.

I haven't listened to this album since the preview on my birthday.. And the reason for that is I have only live songs of theirs on my I-Pod, so I'm going to have to re-upload my c&c cds to my computer (since I deleted them) so I can listen to everything in studio version again.

I'm going to go buy YotBR now

So I'm trying to listen to all of my 2010 albums a lot to get familiar with them, and YotBR is up next. I'm going to try and give it another listen tomorrow - no promises, but I promised myself that I wouldn't just base the record on that first listen. This listen may kick me in the teeth, and it might just kick up a little cloud of dust; but whatever the case, I'll listen to it with open ears and an open mind.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 5 2010, 03:17 PM)
I was also one of the people referred to this band from a Rush fan who said they sounded a lot like Rush.

They both have high pitched vocalists....similarities end.

I really don't like Coheed. I think they suck. Sorry to anyone who likes them but god I can't stand them.

Its become one of my personal pet peeves when someone tells me they sound like Rush. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I just try to tune it out.

I'm pretty much the same........I've gave them a few listens and just can't get in to them at all. Not only do I find his vocals incredibly annoying, their music is just so dull (IMO).......

I will admit that I am one of the biggest Coheed fans on the planet.

When I met Claudio at a figure signing before the last Neverender show I told him that I was his "oldest fan." Being a 42 year old going on 18, he got a chuckle out of that.

Anyway, I know a lot of you love this band and a ton of you hate them.

It seriously does remind me of Rush.

You are either in or out on your arse.

Saying that though I have listened to "Black Rainbow" over and over and over and over again and I just can't get into it.

I was all ready to hail this new album as my 2010 ALBUM OF THE YEAR, but it simply fails.

Not sure if it's the lack of melodies or the distorted production of that super sonic chaos in the background.

Who knows, but what I do know is I'm losing my faith in Claudio.

Maybe he should quit writing comic books and get back to writing better music.

At the end of the day though, I will always support this band.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 4 2010, 11:02 PM)
So I'm trying to listen to all of my 2010 albums a lot to get familiar with them, and YotBR is up next. I'm going to try and give it another listen tomorrow - no promises, but I promised myself that I wouldn't just base the record on that first listen. This listen may kick me in the teeth, and it might just kick up a little cloud of dust; but whatever the case, I'll listen to it with open ears and an open mind.

So.. What did you think the first time?? confused13.gif

Nearly all of their songs are simplistic and easy to grasp.. If you don't like it the first time I doubt you will second. And as for the open mind thing that's good, don't compare them to Rush while listening or even acknowledge the fact they're progressive rock, it'll just give you a bunch of false expectations..

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 5 2010, 02:17 PM)

I'm with you there..

But Coheed and Cambria made a song called 2113 due to all their comparisons with Rush, and I think that bit is pretty cool.

Edited by Kenneth