The Matrix Symbolism

Inthend

Just some things I noticed.

Morpheus' ship - The Nebuchadnezzar (book of Daniel)

Nebuchadnezzar was the king of Babylon who had the dream that Daniel

interpreted. This dream was the first in a series of dreams that prophesy of coming world empires culminating in a last empire that is

"different" from any the world has ever known.

The ship's model number is Mark III no.11

This is seen on the plaque also. If you look up Mark 3:11 in the Bible

it says "And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him,

and cried, saying, You are the Son of God."

Neo is "The One" (same letters btw) that "the oracle" said would come

and be able to defeat the "agents".

Matrix is an old word for womb.

Jesus said to see the kingdom of God you must be born again.

And Neo was "born again" after he took the red pill. Then he saw that

he had been living a deception, reality began once he was flushed out.

Zion - God's holy city

Trinity

Neo appears to be hanging on a cross at the end of Revolutions.

He is the sacrifice that brings peace between man and God?

Oh well, that's all I can think of. Maybe eyes crazy. wacko.gif

Hope ya'll give me some feedback.

I think the Matrix films are pseudo-intellectual garbage for people who can't handle reality.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 10 2007, 07:38 AM)
I think the Matrix films are pseudo-intellectual garbage for people who can't handle reality.

I agree with this, "... the Matrix films are pseudo-intellectual garbage..." but not this, "... for people who can't handle reality."

Yeah, there are religious references throughout the movie. But they're so obvious that it seems cheesy. Then, add ((sarcasm coming )) Keanu's stellar acting and we have 2 films (I didn't see the 3rd) that I can't stand. Of course, I'm not denying that some of the action scenes are fun

For many, myself included, The Matrix boils down to simply this:

One fantastic movies, and two movies that were nowhere in the same league as the first one even though they still "looked" cool.

Yeah, I agree with JB above that the symbolism was pretty obvious. Not really much you can do with that kind of symbolism. It's too bad the first movie wasn't just left alone as is as it's incredibly symbolic of life in many different ways.

I think what the SciFi Nerds see as "deep meaning" and profound symbolism boils down to a simple (granted, original) theme: "What if Virtual Reality was reality and reality was illusion?"

I'm a geek, but not geeky enough to play that Information Age Mind f**k game.

I liked them. The sequals were just like most; not as good as the original. But I did like the freeway sequence in the second and the final battle in the last one.

Did anyone see "The Thirteenth Floor"? It came out about the same time as the first Matrix.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 9 2007, 05:38 PM)

OK, blue pill - stay in what you understand

or red pill - choose something your intellect can't comprehend?

QUOTE (Inthend @ Dec 10 2007, 10:12 PM)

Yeah, okay. Because a silly Science Fiction movie starring America's worst actor is beyond what my intellect can comprehend. It's way too deep for me.

You must be in that camp of computer nerds who see great profundity in this Science Fiction film where little or none exists. Don't get me wrong - some Science Fiction films and books help illuminate great philosophical and social issues - but "The Matrix" only plays with the idea of "what if virtual reality was reality?" That may be an entertaining idea to think about, but it's not profound... unless you're a computer nerd, a stoner, or both.

First Matrix - great. Second and third - too complex for a simple minded guy like me to understand. I didn't even get through Revolutions, was too lost.

I thought the first movie was great. Great action scenes, very cool premise, and the way the movie was made and filmed was (at that time) groundbreaking.

The second and third movies sucked crap.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 11 2007, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Inthend @ Dec 10 2007, 10:12 PM)

Yeah, okay. Because a silly Science Fiction movie starring America's worst actor is beyond what my intellect can comprehend. It's way too deep for me.

You must be in that camp of computer nerds who see great profundity in this Science Fiction film where little or none exists. Don't get me wrong - some Science Fiction films and books help illuminate great philosophical and social issues - but "The Matrix" only plays with the idea of "what if virtual reality was reality?" That may be an entertaining idea to think about, but it's not profound... unless you're a computer nerd, a stoner, or both.

Hey man, that's a really good point. I never thought of it like that.

For the record, I liked 'The Matrix', but the sequels were excrement. I also want very much to bitch-slap the Merovingian.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 10 2007, 09:24 AM)
I think what the SciFi Nerds see as "deep meaning" and profound symbolism boils down to a simple (granted, original) theme: "What if Virtual Reality was reality and reality was illusion?"

Um, not so original. Isn't this just a twist on the classic allegory of the cave?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave

Hello there, newbie Warm-memory-Chip here, Actually after thinking back an all 3 films, there would be a ton of religious type references and ideas. I sorta get the opposite feel, unless you consider a psuedo computer program that is the supposed savior of a race of moles who eat some sort of synthetic Protien filled Oatmeal and all wear Doc Martins,not to mention look like they live in the background of a really bad 80's Poison video, you know the metal-the warehouse, and sparks, lots of sparks.

The funny part is, if those relgious overtones seen in the Matrix are anything revealing of psuedo-religeo nonsense, the Da-Vinci Code didn't have Keanu in it did it?

rock on

Edited by Warm memory Chip

QUOTE (Warm memory Chip @ Dec 16 2007, 02:06 AM)
Hello there, newbie Warm-memory-Chip here, Actually after thinking back an all 3 films, there would be a ton of religious type references and ideas. I sorta get the opposite feel, unless you consider a psuedo computer program that is the supposed savior of a race of moles who eat some sort of synthetic Protien filled Oatmeal and all wear Doc Martins,not to mention look like they live in the background of a really bad 80's Poison video, you know the metal-the warehouse, and sparks, lots of sparks.
The funny part is, if those relgious overtones seen in the Matrix are anything revealing of psuedo-religeo nonsense, the Da-Vinci Code didn't have Keanu in it did it?
rock on

goodpost.gif

WMC - cool name

from The Body Electric?

GraceUP - one of my favs

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 16 2007, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 10 2007, 09:24 AM)

Um, not so original. Isn't this just a twist on the classic allegory of the cave?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave

My interpretation and from a Christian point of view, would be that

the material world is the "deception" (the matrix) and the spiritual

realm is the real world you can't enter until (edit)you swallow something

supernatural.

Edited by Inthend

By the time it got to the fifteen minute underground rave scene in the second Matrix, I was ready to leave. I stuck with it, but it didn't get better. Sadly, I own all three movies because my mom was bad with Colombia House and never canceled shit. I did buy the first one the first day I got a DVD player, but she gave me the others. I think she hates me.

QUOTE (Warm memory Chip @ Dec 20 2007, 10:13 PM)
Hello Body Electric~

my screen name, is from Moving Pictures trak-Vital Signs

"pause rewind-replay "warm memory chip"-Random sample hold the one you need"

Merry Christmas, and happy new-year to all the Rush fans across the lands

doh.gif

Of course u're right.

Ramdom sample hold the one u need. 1022.gif

great song!

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

Inthend, ReRushed, Warm memory Chip:hi:

and Merry Christmas!!! smile.gif

Edited by Inthend