Do you return your empties?

barney_rebel

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 26 2007, 09:43 PM)
Down here we recycle only to watch the dudes throw them in the trash!

It does feel like that, doesn't it Tang? We don't get any refunds here in Ginny either.

Universal packaging is the true asnwer to recycling. If we could only get all the marketing majors out there to understand. Current recycling is more energy consuming than new package manufacturing. Presents a conundrum for profit-minded corporations.

I'm gonna start saving up my empties, I figure that's about 25 bucks a month.

I am all for recycling, and we do it every week. But I have never understood why glass bottles in some states have the refund.

Recycling plants Do Not recycle glass, of any kind. Glass is made from sand, the most abundant natural manufacturing material on the planet!

I'm just sayin'....

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 27 2007, 01:03 PM)
I am all for recycling, and we do it every week. But I have never understood why glass bottles in some states have the refund.
Recycling plants Do Not recycle glass, of any kind. Glass is made from sand, the most abundant natural manufacturing material on the planet!

I'm just sayin'....

You have to put down an additional deposit on top of the price of the product, which is refunded when you return the empties.

It provides a small incentive not to litter and a small incentive to clean up after those who do litter.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 27 2007, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 27 2007, 01:03 PM)

I'm just sayin'....

You have to put down an additional deposit on top of the price of the product, which is refunded when you return the empties.

It provides a small incentive not to litter and a small incentive to clean up after those who do litter.

Ah, now that makes more sense. I don't like litter.

Why would I toss $500 or so a year?

Pretty simple to chuck'em (bottles or cans) back in the case when they are done, keep them stacked in the garage and bring them back once in a while.

It feels great 'recycling' them for a free case of beer.

trink39.gif

We have 'bottle banks' and other recycling skips for cardboard, paper, cans etc, but getting paid to do this is a thing of the distant past.

No cash incentive in Colorado, although some private places pay like 45 cent per pound of aluminum, but I usually chuck them into the recycle bin (which actually gets recycled... or at least a different truck pick them up on Tuesdays...

here in Michigan we have to pay a $.10 deposit on MOST plastic, glass and aluminum. beer and soda mostly.

we do get that money back when we return them.

unfortunately, not all are returnable. you have to either have a recycling service take them, or go to a recycling center.

i usually have around $25.00 a month in returnables.

my daughter is currently returning all of them and saving the money for a trip to spain in the spring.

Edited by ladirushfan80

Empty bottles are good piss receptacles. I make sure to pee in every single one before returning them to the "recycling center". That way, I make sure to get my money's worth in decreased water utility bills for all the times I don't have to flush the toilet. Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

I remember collecting bottles as a kid to get spending money. Here in Libertarian Nevada, we don't have a refund system - we use the shoulder of the road.

At home, I save any glass containers and take them periodically to the recycling bins at a local elementary school. I can only assuem taht these bins are then emptied into trucks, which then travel to the desolte middle of the State to do the roadside dumping for us. tongue.gif

At least my conscience is clean.

I returned about a third of my empties this week. Even though it was heavy snow that day wanted to make some room in the garage for one of our cars.

23 cases of empties plus 4 bucks out of my pocket bought me two fresh cases of beer! Can't wait to return the rest!

trink39.gif

I drink only beer cans,and here its only 5 cents each of them,so it takes a billion cans to have 10$

And there is plenty of fruit fly if you stock them inside, so f@@@k off i throw them all in the recycle

bin..... cool.gif

I might start again...lol

THey're worth 10 cents to 30 cents here, Gross and Net.