Good News First

Earthshine

I like it more every time I listen to it. Love the part starting at 3:00.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing on me.

Still fighting with My Bravest Face for least favourite song on S&A. But it's kind of like picking your least favourite donut. Not too wild about the walnut crunch but sure wouldn't pass it up when offered.

BTW, I think the posters who said Roll the Bones is the worst song ever are close. It's either that one or Double Agent. 062802puke_prv.gif

I'm still amazed at how Rush has rebounded with two such fully kickass albums this decade after the hit-and-miss 90's (IMHO, of course).

I am trying to get more into it. I have not given up on it. I like the "Some say they don't fear a thing, well I do" actoustic section.

This song kind of reminds me of Double Agent in some ways, but I like Double Agent better. When I saw them live for the Counterparts tour, much of Geddy's vocals were played through the P.A. on tape or DAT or whatever it was at the time! They should have played Between Sun & Moon, Alien Shore or Everyday Glory instead!

wow...Double Agent mentioned as Least Favorite Rush Song?!? confused13.gif

Why not throw Limelight, 2112, and Xanadu in there? cool.gif

Well, you get my point. Double Agent is definitely in my top 10 list from Rush. Alex Lifeson just kicks ass and comes up with one of the sickest riffs I've ever heard on that one. I love the way Counterparts goes from this song to Leave that Thing Alone...best 1/2 punch ever!

I've listened to S&A about 10 times so far and Good News First is right up there as one of the best songs on the album. I especially like the way Geddy sings "Well I Do" in the third verse.

Most of the lyrics seem to relate to various aspects of the geopolitical situation since 911. In that sense this album is lyrically different to other Rush offerings which were less political.

Other standouts so far are Faithless, Bravest Face, MalNar, Spindrift, Workin them Angels, and Far Cry is better when played in the lyrical context of the rest of the album. Armor & Sword is growing on me.

Hey that's most of the album!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 16 2007, 12:34 AM)
wow...Double Agent mentioned as Least Favorite Rush Song?!? confused13.gif

Why not throw Limelight, 2112, and Xanadu in there? cool.gif

Well, you get my point. Double Agent is definitely in my top 10 list from Rush. Alex Lifeson just kicks ass and comes up with one of the sickest riffs I've ever heard on that one. I love the way Counterparts goes from this song to Leave that Thing Alone...best 1/2 punch ever!

No. I like Double Agent! smile.gif Just don't know if it should have been done live!

Bravest face is probalby my favorite of the album. but i seriously cannot fathom the urge to listen to "I Think I'm Going Bald" i always skip it when i play CoS in my car unless i'm showing someone a ridiculous song.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 16 2007, 12:28 AM)
I am trying to get more into it. I have not given up on it. I like the "Some say they don't fear a thing, well I do" actoustic section.

This song kind of reminds me of Double Agent in some ways, but I like Double Agent better. When I saw them live for the Counterparts tour, much of Geddy's vocals were played through the P.A. on tape or DAT or whatever it was at the time! They should have played Between Sun & Moon, Alien Shore or Everyday Glory instead!

please, no everyday glory.

Tom Sawyer....I mean it's a great song but the overplay has made it one of my least favorite Rush songs....I can't help it. ..I was so glad they got it out of the way 1st on the VT tour...which probalby pissed off the people still in parking lots at outdoor venues expecting to hear it much later....

QUOTE (Room 34 @ May 3 2007, 11:54 PM)
I think this is probably the weakest song on the album, but I don't even think it's a BAD song, much less the WORST Rush song EVER.

Gotta go with "Tai Shan." I don't even remember it (sold HYF years ago) but I remember hating the crap out of it.

i should have sold my copy of hold your fire................. b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2007, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (Room 34 @ May 3 2007, 11:54 PM)
I think this is probably the weakest song on the album, but I don't even think it's a BAD song, much less the WORST Rush song EVER.

Gotta go with "Tai Shan." I don't even remember it (sold HYF years ago) but I remember hating the crap out of it.

i should have sold my copy of hold your fire................. b_sigh.gif

Aw, c'mon metaldad, HYF ain't that bad, it has some great songs on it. It's not like it's Presto or anything... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 15 2007, 06:12 PM)
This is a GREAT TUNE!!!

My favorite part is when Alex goes to that acoustic guitar sound and Geddy sings,

"Some would say they never fear a thing

Well I do

And I'm afraid enough for both of us

For me and you"

I love the echo effect on "Well I do" and "For me and you."

Incredible song.

I loathe the verses of the song (Geddy's oversinging is a bit much) but the rest of the song is ok.

However, while I like the part to which you're referring musically, lyrically it's kinda cheesy/hackish.

Blech.

This is a GREAT TUNE!!!

My favorite part is when Alex goes to that acoustic guitar sound and Geddy sings,

Well I do

For me and you"

Incredible song.

Thats my favorite part too. For some reason I can really relate to those lyrics.

I wish they had a another chorus of that section.

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 17 2007, 08:33 AM)
This is a GREAT TUNE!!!

Well I do

For me and you"

Incredible song.

Thats my favorite part too. For some reason I can really relate to those lyrics.

I wish they had a another chorus of that section.

goodpost.gif 's

I love Good News First. smile.gif I don't think it's a bad song, either, just the weakest on the album.

QUOTE (canadianPowerTrio @ May 4 2007, 06:49 AM)
i thought earthshine was the worst rush song ever

bolt.gif

hahaha i actually think earthshine is the worst song. I really do. It's just not good in any way. The guitar riff on that song is like something you learn to play when you are first learning and the vocals are just boring.

Funny how we can all differ in opinion so much about a group we all like so much, but that is a strength. Variety is the spice, even when it's a variety of opinions.

I like Good News First a lot, but don't completely understand where the lyrics are coming from. I don't think it's the weakest song on the album, for me that is The Larger Bowl, although I find myself singing along with the chorus on that one so I don't really think it's weak.

And I love Earthshine, in my top three on VT. It has a power and majesty and I love the riff.

Earthshine -- fantastic

Red Lenses -- fantastic

Good news first -- very good

Tai Shan -- very good

You Bet your Life -- good

Dog years -- music is pretty good,but I just can't listen to those lyrics

The Speed of Love -- Boring music, boring lyrics -- at least for Rush

My two cents...

i like it too, along with we hold on, far cry, spindrift and TMMB... all my favourites on the album. the only one i dont really like is the way the wind blows. confused13.gif and i happen to like 'yuo bet your life'. what don't you like about it?

Archived