Good News First

Earthshine

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interesting thread because, naturally, everyone is chiming in with their opinion of Worst Rush song ever and we're seeing the same 10 songs consistently LOL

Good News First, along with Faithless, will be the 2 skips on the album for me it looks like. I dont dislike them, and they're far from the "worst ever" but I agree they're not strong.

Top 10 "Worst of"

1. You bet your Life

Some songs I just dislike, and others irritate the hell out of me. This one is the latter

2. High Water

It's irrelevant and I cant even remember it

3. Tai Shan

Didnt quite work

4. Speed of Love

Not bad necessarily, but boring and so below what these guys can do. Plus Counterparts would be perfection if not for this song

5. The Stars Looks Down

This song irritaes me too, dunno why

6. Lakeside Park

Geddy's voice is just too......well, you know...

7. Virtuality

Too bad, cuz Alex kind of rocks on it, but the lyrics are painful

8. Chemistry

Mainly because I think the lyrics are silly

9. Neurotica

Nope. Too many rhymes

10. Most of Power Windows cool.gif

Sorry, ten worst Rush songs? Okay.

10. "Grand Designs"

9. "Superconductor"

8. "Virtuality"

7. "Manhattan Project"

6. "Alien Shore"

5. "Lakeside Park"

4. "Rivendell"

3. "Dog Years"

2. "Stick It Out"

1. "Nobody's Hero"

are you serious? thats a pretty dumb statement. I really like Good News First. and Tai Shan. and Face Up is pretty good.

I think it's completely stupid for anyone to actually think there is one "worst" rush song. everyone has different opinions. You know what that is? well mine is probably Take a Friend. or half the stuff from the first album. but that's my OPINION.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 4 2007, 01:14 PM)
C'mon people......this song is not even CLOSE to the worst Rush song.......I'm sure we can find a few songs on RTB that are worse.

QFT

QUOTE (afortaleza @ May 4 2007, 08:07 AM)
I like that song but my main question is "Who he's talking to ?". Maybe his wife ?

It does almost seem like a missive to a particular individual, huh?

Oh well, I'm sure they know what it's all about. cool.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 4 2007, 05:35 PM)
there's alot of S&A to chew on and it tastes pretty good...especially if you can interpet it live

i learned all about HYF when i saw it live so i haven't "tripped" since no.gif

even though some of the tunes don't flow like yo favorite ho no.gif

f**k it

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 4 2007, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ May 4 2007, 05:35 PM)
there's alot of S&A to chew on and it tastes pretty good...especially if you can interpet it live

i learned all about HYF when i saw it live so i haven't "tripped" since no.gif

even though some of the tunes don't flow like yo favorite ho no.gif

f**k it

Bravo! Let's keep this incredibly classy and intelligent thread going! wacko.gif

after listening to it at a lower volume, I've reconsidered this song. I like it a lot. I will restate that although it may be the weakest it is not by any means awful. Actually its quite good as a straight forward song. Simple and enjoyable.

I wouldn't say it's the worst Rush song ever. But this song reminded me of the tail end of Roll the Bones.

The songs "Neurotica" and "You Bet Your Life" hold a few records.

Trons least favourite Rush Song

Neurotica

Trons second least favourite Rush Song:

You Bet Your Life

Trons 2 least favourite Rush Songs:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Trons 2 least favourite RUSH song on one album:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Trons 2 least favourite RUSH songs, adjacent to each other on an album:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Trons 2 least favourite RUSH songs that end an album:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Trons 2 least favourite RUSH songs on the album Roll the Bones:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Trons 2 least favourite RUSH song between 1990-2000:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Troneurotica ack!

i thought little of GOOD NEWS too..but it is growing on me and I am certain that I will latch on soon...those take time...

worse song...nothing on this album is close to any weaker stuff.

my votes for the weak---

tai shan

second nature(take these two off and HYF is perfect)

dog years and....

ready....time and motion(cue hisses and Fbombs) its those darned keyboards!!!!!

I agree that it's not a very good song, but the worst part of any Rush tune must be the beginning and similar verses of Bravest Face. Makes me cringe every time. Which is a shame, because the chorus is great.

In fact, that's what I think about most of the tunes on Snakes and Arrows. Some PARTS of the songs are really good, while other sections of the same song are really weak or irritating.

QUOTE (Blakean99 @ May 4 2007, 07:53 PM)
In fact, that's what I think about most of the tunes on Snakes and Arrows. Some PARTS of the songs are really good, while other sections of the same song are really weak or irritating.

I have to agree with you on that. All of the tracks are overall quite good, but many of the songs themselves are less consistent in and of themselves than the album is as a whole.

The tracks that really have no lesser parts are "Far Cry", "Workin' Them Angels", "The Larger Bowl", "Spindrift", and the three instrumentals.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 4 2007, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 3 2007, 11:49 PM)
Sorry, you're forgetting a few other contenders:  Tai Shan, High Water, Face Up, You Bet Your Life, Speed of Love, Virtuality, Dog Yearssad.gif

I like all those songs you mentioned! rofl3.gif That's cool! trink39.gif

I second that

From Power Windows though T4E, there's been a least one song I couldn't stand on each record, which is sad cause back in the old days there was never any doubt that every song would be great. On PW it was Emotion Detector that made me scratch my head. On HYF it was Tai Shan (and about 5 others). On Presto it was Available Light (plus a few others). RTB brought us the cesspool that is Neurotica. Counterparts gave us the clunker Speed of Love.

But nothing approaches the piece of crap that is Dog Years. I still can't fathom how anyone can like that song.

Gladly, S&A is the second record in a row without a bad song IMHO. GNF is one of the weaker songs, but it's still a good song.

I really like Good News First. The "some would say they never fear a thing..." section makes the song for me. If I had to pick a least favorite on here it would probably be Angels, only because I think the chorus goes on too long. Still, I really like that song too. There's nothing I don't like on S&A.

Archived