Good News First

Earthshine

QUOTE (BruceMcc @ May 22 2007, 05:28 PM)
Good question Kudzu. For the record, I very much enjoy High Water.

for the record?

Are we in court?

tongue.gif

I like High water also.....

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno I'm probably insane but "How It Is" is my favorite song on VT and when I first got SnA the ONLY songs that caught me were Armor and Sword, The Larger Bowl, TMMB, and Good News First, and another one that seems to be called "draggy"; Bravest Face is my current favorite on the album. High Water is terribly underrated and I don't get why. Great song, but then again I actually like Dog Years...

I confess, I did not read all 11 pages...But I certainly hope someone mentioned Superconductor. What a God awful song that is. Rivendell is a freaking masterpiece compared to S.C.

As long as were "Threading for the Record" HYF is my absolute favorite album in many ways. Tai Shan, High Water and the rest were a deep departure for Rush both melodically and lyrically.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2007, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (BruceMcc @ May 22 2007, 05:28 PM)
Good question Kudzu. For the record, I very much enjoy High Water.

for the record?

Are we in court?

tongue.gif

I like High water also.....

laugh.gif

For the record, I like GNF too.. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Superconductor a god awful song........... wacko.gif

What are you talking about?

I think you're nuts!

How's your day going?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 8 2007, 10:36 AM)
Superconductor a god awful song........... wacko.gif

What are you talking about?

I think you're nuts!

How's your day going?

I've gotta agree with him, Superconductor is one of their worst along with Speed of Love, Virtuality, and Dog Years. Those are the four Rush songs I could live without ever hearing again.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 8 2007, 09:54 AM)

I've gotta agree with him, Superconductor is one of their worst along with Speed of Love, Virtuality, and Dog Years. Those are the four Rush songs I could live without ever hearing again.

Holy crap!

Now I've heard everything.

Alright....fine!

So you guys think Superconductor is a shitty song. I'll still sleep good tonight.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 8 2007, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 8 2007, 09:54 AM)

Holy crap!

Now I've heard everything.

Alright....fine!

So you guys think Superconductor is a shitty song. I'll still sleep good tonight.

I happen to like that song. I guess it doesn't really matter what others think of all the songs. There are going to be some that appeal more than others.

I used to blast Superconductor in my car and ride my horse to it. Those were the days when the training really worked well. wub.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jun 8 2007, 10:24 AM)

I used to blast Superconductor in my car and ride my horse to it. Those were the days when the training really worked well. wub.gif

I could see any horse totally diggin' that song.......

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 8 2007, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jun 8 2007, 10:24 AM)

I used to blast Superconductor in my car and ride my horse to it.  Those were the days when the training really worked well.  wub.gif

I could see any horse totally diggin' that song.......

"Watch Mr. Ed's every move.......Superconductor, Superconductor"

"He Can kick a ball through a goal post.....Superconductor, Superconductor."

I bet Neil would like to have that one back, right along with Virtuality and Rivendel.

"Net Horse"

"Net Cow"

"Send your methane round the world..."

"Put your steroids in a seringe"

and race around the cyber-track....

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 4 2007, 12:36 AM)
I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else! rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

But if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Looks like you picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

Off of "Snakes and Arrows," I love EVERY song. Yes, that includes "The Larger Bowl," which a lot of people seem to dislike for some odd reason. What is wrong with "Good News First"? I think it is a great song, and I wish they would play it live! Good vocals, (love the intro) lyrics, music. I especially love the part where :

"Some would say the never fear a thing, well I do. (well I do)

And I'm afraid enough for both of us, for me and you. (me and you)

Time, if nothing else, will do its worst, so do me that favor and tell me the good news first... the good news first."

Then love how it goes into the soloing... What's with all of the haters? Worst Rush song? It's one-hundred times better than, oh, say... "Bet Your Life."

Are you really trying to tell me that the lyrics:

"Time, if nothing else, will do it's worst, so do me that favor and tell me the good news first." are worse than "Just another hunter, like a wolf in the sun."? Hm...

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Jun 8 2007, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 4 2007, 12:36 AM)
I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for  over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else!  rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

But  if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

Looks like you picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

http://www.gba-sp.de/artikel/images/1april/airplane.jpghttp://www.digitallyobsessed.com/cover_art/airplane.jpg

1022.gif 653.gif

OK, I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread so far but... am I the only one who thinks "I Think I'm Going Bald" is the worst (or, at least, the most ridiculous) Rush song ever?

Good News First is not one of my favorites but I don't mind it. I found the singing rather clumsy though.

The song I didn't like from this album from the start was The larger Bowl and in fact I omitted it from the copy I made for my truck and from my MP3 list.

Most of the other "bad" songs mentioned I like. Like Tai Shan, Superconductor, and Dog Years.

A few that never did anything for me and were also omitted from my copies and MP3 list are Animate, Test For Echo, and Rivendell. All the other songs I either like or just tolerate.

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Jun 8 2007, 08:54 PM)
Then love how it goes into the soloing... What's with all of the haters? Worst Rush song? It's one-hundred times better than, oh, say... "Bet Your Life."

I think most of the haters don't like the verses of GNF: Ged's singing, the heavy effects used on his voice, and (I guess?) maybe the music as well. I don't LOVE these verses, but they're certainly not bad enough to make me hate the song. The chorus is beautiful and from the bridge to the end of the song just rocks. 1022.gif

It does seem like some have selective memories when it comes to "worst song ever." What about Rivendell, Tai Shan, High Water, Face Up, You Bet Your Life, Speed of Love, Virtuality, and Dog Years?

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 9 2007, 01:03 AM)

It does seem like some have selective memories when it comes to "worst song ever." What about Rivendell, High Water, Face Up, You Bet Your Life, Speed of Love, Virtuality, and Dog Years?

exactly....and I Think I'm Going Bald fits right in there too...

I Like Good News First.

Creative hook, cool effect on Alex's Guitar, Geddy has never, to my knowledge, tried to draw out his vocal lines and run it thru such an effect.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 3 2007, 11:36 PM)
I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else! rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

But if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

i think all the songs you p-po have mentioned so far are maybe not the best songs from the band, but still evoke emotion. thats what songs are supposed to do. i love all those songs. they dont have to be heavy and rockin to be a good song. all they have to do is make you feel something. 2.gif

Archived