Good News First

Earthshine

QUOTE (yyz311 @ May 4 2007, 11:51 AM)
Reading this thread, and others, has made me contemplate what I enjoy about Rush.  It also makes me appreciate difference of opinion. 

I can't believe that "theredtamasrule" thinks Second Nature is bottom of the barrel.  That is one of my favorite tracks.  In fact, other songs that people despise are at the top of my list - Grand Designs, Lakeside Park, Beneath Between Behind, the Camera Eye (I can't believe this is the least favorite track for some off of MP).  My least favorite, Scars, Time Stand Still, and Vital Signs, are favorites for others.

As for albums, my favorites are Hemispheres, Presto and Hold Your Fire.  Some here can't stand Presto and HYF. 

To get to my point, I think this is what makes Rush so great.  Although they appeal to a smaller audience than most bands, their music is diverse enough that there are vast preferences within the fanbase.  Each of us is able to find something that we relate to, find beauty in the art that Rush is able to produce, and let it touch us in one form or another.

This is what makes Rush.  They always push the envelope.  They challenge us to dissect the music, broaden our understanding, and at times take us to places musically that we weren't comfortable with before.  If Rush's music wasn't this way, they'd just be another pop band. 

Other people can have their one hit wonders, boy bands and wanna be divas.  I prefer Rush. 

Yeah, we may disagree on which album is better, or which track is their weakest.  But at least we can all agree that Rush is our favorite band.  Isn't that all that matters? 

2.gif

goodpost.gif

I agree. I've seen people post songs that they hate that are some of my favorites.

Diversity in the 2.gif Nation. Nothing wrong with that.

Plus, i do like Good News First.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well, I've heard people say "You Shook Me All Night Long" is the stupidest song ever written..........what are ya gonna do?

If only there was a way to make everybody happy all the time......

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jun 10 2007, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (yyz311 @ May 4 2007, 11:51 AM)
Reading this thread, and others, has made me contemplate what I enjoy about Rush.  It also makes me appreciate difference of opinion. 

I can't believe that "theredtamasrule" thinks Second Nature is bottom of the barrel.  That is one of my favorite tracks.  In fact, other songs that people despise are at the top of my list - Grand Designs, Lakeside Park, Beneath Between Behind, the Camera Eye (I can't believe this is the least favorite track for some off of MP).  My least favorite, Scars, Time Stand Still, and Vital Signs, are favorites for others.

As for albums, my favorites are Hemispheres, Presto and Hold Your Fire.  Some here can't stand Presto and HYF. 

To get to my point, I think this is what makes Rush so great.  Although they appeal to a smaller audience than most bands, their music is diverse enough that there are vast preferences within the fanbase.  Each of us is able to find something that we relate to, find beauty in the art that Rush is able to produce, and let it touch us in one form or another.

This is what makes Rush.  They always push the envelope.  They challenge us to dissect the music, broaden our understanding, and at times take us to places musically that we weren't comfortable with before.  If Rush's music wasn't this way, they'd just be another pop band. 

Other people can have their one hit wonders, boy bands and wanna be divas.  I prefer Rush. 

Yeah, we may disagree on which album is better, or which track is their weakest.  But at least we can all agree that Rush is our favorite band.  Isn't that all that matters? 

2.gif

goodpost.gif

I agree. I've seen people post songs that they hate that are some of my favorites.

Diversity in the 2.gif Nation. Nothing wrong with that.

Plus, i do like Good News First.

most certainly, i agree! i hapen to like you bet you life. i think the songs you like are defined by what order you've listened to them in. a friend started me off with

Earthshine

Colour of Right

Half the World

Dreamline

Bravado

Coldfire

Mission

Marathon

Afterimage

Between the Wheels

Subdivisions

Tom Saywer

Red Barchetta

Spirit of the Radio

that's how i started off with Rush, and at the time they didnt become my favourite band- in fact, for some bizzare reason, they were last on my favourites list (meaning they made it but didnt get far)

then i got

Neurotica

Nobodie's Hero

Hemispheres Book II

YYZ

and they became much more loved by me. i asked for another bunch of songs from my friend (whose dad has all the albums) and she gave me:

Distant Early Warning

You Bet Your Life

One Little Victory

Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

A Passage to Bangkok

The Trees

La Villa

New World Man

Big Wheel

Witch Hunt

Leave that Thing alone

That collection became my favourite of the two. What im getting to is that i really like you bet ur life, even as its squashed between two of my favourite songs... I mean, i used to love mediocre songs from othe bands, and in finding spectacular songs by rush, the mediocre ones they do are massivly impressive compaired to stuff i used to listen to.

i dont like new world man!!!!!!!

BTW i now have:

Snakes and Arrow (i love GNF)(got it day it came out :-D)

Retrospective (1974-1980)

2112 (awesome)

Spirit of the Radio (1974-1987) (bought it just for the 4 song's i hadn't heard)

my local music stores are now bare of rush albums i dont have. HMV is so overpriced, or i'd have alot more.

I love S&A and every song on it, the best album they have put out for many many years. Every song on that album is breath taking. Not just one stand out song, all of them are incredible.

wow i am surprised by some of the "worst" songs that rush has done.. in my eyes (al beit that i am a "newbie") but i dig everything they did.. not every song can be an epic like 2112, hemispheres, necromancer, etc.... but i dont think that good news first is the worst they did.. it grows on you, just give it a chance.

I think I posted earlier in this thread where I said that I really liked Good News first...

I'd like to update that now...

I really like Good News First...

I certainly don't think it's the worst song song they have ever made at all, IMO...I'd say it's probably one of the best songs I've heard in a long time...love the pace of it for some reason...it's just sort of goes and goes...very methodical...Love the picture they have for it also! Apocalyptic...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/JDL2112/SAgoodnewsfirst.jpg

This isn't the worst song Rush has ever done.....in fact, far from it. However I don't like it, and think it's one of the worst on S&A. It and Bravest Face are both equally as awful....

smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 10 2007, 04:00 PM)
This isn't the worst song Rush has ever done.....in fact, far from it. However I don't like it, and think it's one of the worst on S&A. It and Bravest Face are both equally as awful....

smilies-8579.png

I liked about the first 12 seconds of Bravest Face, then after that, I sort of went "OK", and that was it.

I'm sure it will grow on me... biggrin.gif

I can't even remember what I posted regarding the song itself previously but I really like Good News First; I enjoy the tempo changes & think Neil's drumming is very fine indeed. I do like the lyrics and wish Neil wrote more songs like GNF...reminds me of something from HYF (which I like a great deal).

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 10 2007, 07:00 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 10 2007, 08:26 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

Yes.....easily my 2 least favs off S&A......oh and We Hold On too.......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 10 2007, 07:40 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

oh, and don't forget the other 10 songs WC

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ Jun 10 2007, 09:28 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

beathorse.gif

you again? where ya been man......

eh.gif

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ Jun 10 2007, 07:28 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

beathorse.gif

EDIT: Wrong post quoted...see below...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 10 2007, 08:56 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

beathorse.gif

eh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:22 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

beathorse.gif

eh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Busy at my store. Decided to give the forum a rest for a few weeks. gearing up for the Tour now!!

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ Jun 11 2007, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:22 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Really WC?? wtf.gif

beathorse.gif

eh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Busy at my store. Decided to give the forum a rest for a few weeks. gearing up for the Tour now!!

Sounds like WC missed you!

Excuse me.

I'm ignorant.

What does IMO mean?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 11 2007, 12:13 PM)
Excuse me.

I'm ignorant.

What does IMO mean?

in my opinion.

IMHO = in my humble opinion.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Jun 11 2007, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 11 2007, 12:13 PM)
Excuse me.

I'm ignorant.

What does IMO mean?

in my opinion.

IMHO = in my humble opinion.

Thanks Rushman. IMO, that's just pure laziness.

IMO.

Archived