Good News First

Earthshine

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like "Good News First"...sounds like it could've come off Counterparts. Definitely a top 5 song off S&A for me!

I also rate "Dog Years" and "Carve away the Stone" (so unnderrated, love how the song builds) as my favs. off T4E. Sheer hate for Dog Years has always befuddled me. confused13.gif

Good News First i dont think is the worst song on the album even, i dont really like "The Larger Bowl" that much. But the solo is really good. Also Virtuality is a pretty decent song, and i dont even really like Test for Echo...the Chorus is pretty catchy.

To me it is one of the better songs on the album. I think We Hold On is lacking, followed by Larger Bowl, followed by Far Cry. The rest of the songs are quite exception. I haven't really cared for the singles chosen by Rush in their latter years.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 14 2007, 07:48 PM)
To me it is one of the better songs on the album. I think We Hold On is lacking, followed by Larger Bowl, followed by Far Cry. The rest of the songs are quite exception. I haven't really cared for the singles chosen by Rush in their latter years.

see I love "we hold on".

funny how everyone goes back n forth with not liking this one, but liking that one etc.. unsure.gif

The opening and the chorus have a very heavy "Counterparts" kind of feel to it. The guitars have that deep, woody and dark kind of sound with a lot of delay....I like it. I would have to say one of the better songs on the album. Ged's vocals are top notch. Cool effects.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ May 14 2007, 06:15 PM)
Maybe I'm just  cool10.gif , but I think GNF is one of the strongest tracks on S&A.  Actually I think it's one of the best songs over the past 3 or 4 albums.  Maybe I've just gone  common001.gif  common001.gif  common001.gif

No, you're not cool10.gif You got it right yes.gif

I always go straight to GNF and Spindrift to start the album when in my car. 1022.gif

2.gif

I'm loving it.

The opening is what rock music is all about:

Total wall of noise guitars with loose heavy drums grooving underneath (the open hi-hat fill give a great shape)

The verse: really ominous and moody. That weird voice, textured guitar, beautiful creative drums build to the great chorus

Check the guitar rock out at the end of the chorus.

The only things I don't like are the triplet fill into the solo - a real Peart trade mark, but they never flow or me and the OTT 16 note run down the toms under the chorus after the solo, that's just having a rush of blood

I think it's a pretty good tune. I wish the rest of the song rocked a little harder like the intro, but it's still a good one, regardless.

Faithless is far and away my least favorite song on the album. Least favorites from other albums include: Tai Shan, The Speed of Love, Rivendell, Dog Years, Totem (know a lot of folks like that one, but, for me, yecch), War Paint and the last 4 songs on Presto (or as I call it, the "Where's Alex?" album). Don't care much for the 2 epics on CoS.

I always give the first album a pass on stuff like this...after all, Neil wasn't around for it.

QUOTE (grilledweasel @ May 14 2007, 11:46 PM)
Alright, everyone...sing it with me....

"Dooooog yeeears
with every scratch it reappears..."

Now you have it in your heads too.

Sweet dreams everyone...

haha you legend

*I* don't actually mind it in my head tho! tongue.gif keep singing...

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ May 15 2007, 10:54 AM)
good news first is pretty good.  if i had to choose their worst song, it would be the one titled; I think I'm Going Bald.

this one is overlooked by many, but I like to hear it once in while. I think I'm going bald, that is.

the song flows nicely, along with the lyrics.

This is a GREAT TUNE!!!

My favorite part is when Alex goes to that acoustic guitar sound and Geddy sings,

"Some would say they never fear a thing

Well I do

And I'm afraid enough for both of us

For me and you"

I love the echo effect on "Well I do" and "For me and you."

Incredible song.

Archived