Good News First

Earthshine

Gotta stick to my tradition in posting "Bravado" on every "worst Rush song" thread.

... not that You Bet ... , The Big Wheel, Heresy or In The Mood are better, but those are songs generally bashed ...

GNF is, well, average. One of the weaker tracks on the album, but not that I couldn't stand it. Not yet.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose the more I listen to the album it just grows on me, it was like listening to Far Cry for the first time. I wasn't too impressed but after repeating it...20 times over it became more enjoyable.

It's not their worst song, but it's not their best, Far from it. But Spindrift was beautiful on this album, and after that armor and sword was pretty good as well.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 4 2007, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 4 2007, 01:14 PM)
C'mon people......this song is not even CLOSE to the worst Rush song.......I'm sure we can find a few songs on RTB that are worse.

QFT

ummm...what?

Are you saying that RTB doesn't have any stinkers on it?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 5 2007, 03:40 PM)
C'mon people......this song is not even CLOSE to the worst Rush song.......I'm sure we can find a few songs on RTB that are worse.

QFT

ummm...what?

QFT means "Quoted for Truth"...

In other words, I agree with you 100%

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 5 2007, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 5 2007, 03:40 PM)

QFT

ummm...what?

QFT means "Quoted for Truth"...

In other words, I agree with you 100%

rofl3.gif

ok.......no i honestly didn't get it. i need an internet jargon dictionary.

QUOTE (strangedevice @ May 4 2007, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (canadianPowerTrio @ May 4 2007, 05:49 AM)
i thought earthshine was the worst rush song ever

bolt.gif

I'll second that schla03.gif

no.gif way! Earthshine rocks,best song on VT.

QUOTE (Begin the Day @ May 4 2007, 08:51 AM)
IMO worst Rush song ever is Red Lenses. Nothing on this album comes close to that.

When I first heard it(last night) lenses was the first thing it reminded me of.

I never liked Red Lenses and even thou I'm in training for the "learning to like it phase" on this album, Probably Good News not going to be my favorite. Don't know if it's all time worst, like was said stuff from RTB and Tai Shan, High Water from HYF rank up there also.

GNF is not only NOT the worst Rush song ever, it's far from being the worst song....on the record!

I'm not really sure how such a melody can be completely dismissed. The thing I find in the worst Rush songs is a lack of melody. I'm pretty forgiving of most other things....some bad lyrics....rehashed riff. But usually if it's sonically dull, that's what kills it for me. So even if I hated the lyrics and most of the instrumentation or even Ged's voice here (and I don't), I'd still be turned on my the choral melody and the bridge. This song didn't grab me the first time or two either, but those parts kept me coming back....and now I really enjoy the tune a LOT. (The guitars in the verses remind me of Victor).

But the line and delivery of "And the most beautiful words I could ever say" followed up by the bridge ("Some would say they never fear a thing....") ALONE will keep this elevated over the likes of the worst Rush songs ever.

As always....entitled....but SHAAAAMMMMME. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 6 2007, 02:56 PM)
GNF is not only NOT the worst Rush song ever, it's far from being the worst song....on the record!

I'm not really sure how such a melody can be completely dismissed. The thing I find in the worst Rush songs is a lack of melody. I'm pretty forgiving of most other things....some bad lyrics....rehashed riff. But usually if it's sonically dull, that's what kills it for me. So even if I hated the lyrics and most of the instrumentation or even Ged's voice here (and I don't), I'd still be turned on my the choral melody and the bridge. This song didn't grab me the first time or two either, but those parts kept me coming back....and now I really enjoy the tune a LOT. (The guitars in the verses remind me of Victor).

But the line and delivery of "And the most beautiful words I could ever say" followed up by the bridge ("Some would say they never fear a thing....") ALONE will keep this elevated over the likes of the worst Rush songs ever.

As always....entitled....but SHAAAAMMMMME. wink.gif tongue.gif

Agreed trink39.gif trink39.gif

I will agree that it's the weakest song on S&A (at least in my current estimation of things), but I still think it's a good song.

I guess it's the one song that I don't really "get" yet on the album lyrically. I mean, it SOUNDS cool, but to me the lyrics are still somewhat cryptic. Maybe others really get the message in this song, but for me it still seems a bit random and piecemeal. I can see the individual puzzle pieces, but I don't yet see how to put the puzzle together.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 6 2007, 09:35 AM)
I will agree that it's the weakest song on S&A (at least in my current estimation of things), but I still think it's a good song.

I guess it's the one song that I don't really "get" yet on the album lyrically. I mean, it SOUNDS cool, but to me the lyrics are still somewhat cryptic. Maybe others really get the message in this song, but for me it still seems a bit random and piecemeal. I can see the individual puzzle pieces, but I don't yet see how to put the puzzle together.

It might sound cryptic because Neil said on the radio interview he did recently that "Good News First" is the song that Geddy picked through the lyrics and found the words he could sing, then Neil had to make sense of it and it was one of those fitful creative periods that made him want to quit.

But then he wrote "Armor and Sword."

Perhaps the worst song on the new album, but not the worst Rush song of all time.

That would be "In the Mood."

Definitely not worse than Neurotica, You Bet Your Life and a whole mess of songs from Presto (what was up with Rush from 1989 to 1991?)

but while it's not an irritating song (and no song on S&A is) what it is guilty of is being boring.

and I'm kinda surprised to see Tai Shan on so many Rush fans' shit list because I think it's one of their absolute best. seriously, its a song that can make me cry. now, i admit that I am huge fan of ancient Chinese culture, but i also think its a great piece of music and beautifully sung by Geddy... HYF in general has Ged's best vocals.

and to get back to Rush's lack of goodness from the Presto/RTB era... this does not take away from two of the greatest songs... The Pass and Bravado. in fact, tracks 1-8 on RTB are fantastic, which just makes it all the more weirder that tracks 9-10 are JUST TOTALLY AWFUL. biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Damn I agree exactly with Goober!! Now where's the fun in that???

angry.gif

fists crying.gif

The middle 8 of this tune is very good and the guitar solo is not too shabby either...

And although it's perhaps still my least favourite it's still a great tune, which shows how good this album is...

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 3 2007, 11:36 PM)
But if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

It's one of my favorite tracks. I love the effects on Ged's vox.

QUOTE (skyswing @ May 6 2007, 09:27 AM)

I guess it's the one song that I don't really "get" yet on the album lyrically.  I mean, it SOUNDS cool, but to me the lyrics are still somewhat cryptic.  Maybe others really get the message in this song, but for me it still seems a bit random and piecemeal.  I can see the individual puzzle pieces,  but I don't yet see how to put the puzzle together.

It might sound cryptic because Neil said on the radio interview he did recently that "Good News First" is the song that Geddy picked through the lyrics and found the words he could sing, then Neil had to make sense of it and it was one of those fitful creative periods that made him want to quit.

But then he wrote "Armor and Sword."

yes, he said he had to keep adding words just so it would make sense. Of course, he forgot to add the words that would make sense of the final phrase in the chorus....

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 3 2007, 11:36 PM)
I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else! rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

But if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

It is the weakest song on the album...another example of them fitting in lyrics in places where they really don't fit with the music.

I'd say it was the weakest song on the album but it's okay. This is a VERY strong album. I've heard worse songs by Rush.

No i would rather hear 15 billion Good News Firsts before ONE I repeat ONE of the piece of shit Rush Calls "Dog Years" I really dont think that it was Rush writing that song. Tai Shan isnt really that bad of a song the guitar sounds really badass actually and Speed Of Love isnt that bad but Dog Years.....oh you bet your ass thats a bad song. beathorse.gif bolt.gif fing.gif fists crying.gif eh.gif pokey.gif pokey.gif doh.gif angry.gif

Archived