Good News First

Earthshine

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this thread, and others, has made me contemplate what I enjoy about Rush. It also makes me appreciate difference of opinion.

I can't believe that "theredtamasrule" thinks Second Nature is bottom of the barrel. That is one of my favorite tracks. In fact, other songs that people despise are at the top of my list - Grand Designs, Lakeside Park, Beneath Between Behind, the Camera Eye (I can't believe this is the least favorite track for some off of MP). My least favorite, Scars, Time Stand Still, and Vital Signs, are favorites for others.

As for albums, my favorites are Hemispheres, Presto and Hold Your Fire. Some here can't stand Presto and HYF.

To get to my point, I think this is what makes Rush so great. Although they appeal to a smaller audience than most bands, their music is diverse enough that there are vast preferences within the fanbase. Each of us is able to find something that we relate to, find beauty in the art that Rush is able to produce, and let it touch us in one form or another.

This is what makes Rush. They always push the envelope. They challenge us to dissect the music, broaden our understanding, and at times take us to places musically that we weren't comfortable with before. If Rush's music wasn't this way, they'd just be another pop band.

Other people can have their one hit wonders, boy bands and wanna be divas. I prefer Rush.

Yeah, we may disagree on which album is better, or which track is their weakest. But at least we can all agree that Rush is our favorite band. Isn't that all that matters?

2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 4 2007, 11:27 AM)
Well, if there's one thing I've noticed, it's how diverse the opinions of every Rush fan are!!

This is what make RUSH so good

I Like -- Good News First yes.gif

Don't Like -- New World Man no.gif

There is Allways Something for Us RUSH Fans or Not !

This band has covered so many styles that naturally people are going to have greatly varied opinions. I love Second Nature. I also love a lot of Presto. Like about 4 songs on RTB. Hate almost all of T4E. I used to hate LArger Bowl. Starting to like it. Hate GNF.

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 4 2007, 11:24 AM)
It's certainly bad, but nowhere near as awful as The Larger Bowl....

The Larger Bowl rocks you Scots oaf!!!

1287.gif

such a lot of pain on the oaf

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2007, 06:32 PM)
such a lot of pain on the oaf

biggrin.gif

Thats actually better than the original line wink.gif

Seriously, it rocks????

It's the aural equivalent of scraping polystyrene 062802puke_prv.gif

Oh by the way, I nearly forgot....

Sod off you Manc tw** wink.gif laugh.gif

martini_shaken.gif this album is absolutly awesome....needs a thousands

listening wink.gif and good news first,is pure rush....

I can understand people not liking Speed of Love, Dog Years, Tai Shan, etc...

But how can anyone who listens to the Solo, post solo-bridge and the transition from the post solo bridge to the Chorus on GNF, and not think it is a classic "Rush moment" is beyond me.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 3 2007, 10:36 PM)
I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else! rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

But if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

unsure.gif unsure.gif Ummm, I TOTALLY disagree!!! I love the song!

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 4 2007, 01:53 PM)

But how can anyone who listens to the Solo, post solo-bridge and the transition from the post solo bridge to the Chorus on GNF, and not think it is a classic "Rush moment" is beyond me.

Quick to judge......

Slow to understand

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 4 2007, 02:14 PM)
C'mon people......this song is not even CLOSE to the worst Rush song.......I'm sure we can find a few songs on RTB that are worse.

I thought you were going over to the Tug McGraw forum to wait for a cover or something.

I suppose when we all release over 20 hours of music, then we can start talking about hits and misses...

IMHO, despite the abundance of sometimes corny lyrical content, the ONLY bad Rush songs are Tai Shan, Dog Years, I Think I'm Going Bald!and Rivendell.

I take no issue with anything on S&A or Vapor Trails.

4 bad songs in 33 years? I'll take those odds.

QUOTE (msrushfreak @ May 4 2007, 02:28 PM)
What's with all the hate for Tai Shan?
The only real cringer that comes to my mind is You Bet Your Life.

Hey careful I like that song...

angry.gif

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 4 2007, 09:53 PM)

Btw, Speed of Love features insanely complex drumwork.. It's probably the only good thing about this song though smile.gif

Btw, The Larger Bowl suxx a big ass tongue.gif

I LOVE Good News First-- the spooky miasma of the verses, the beautiful chorus, the bridge, the solo-- great stuff.

But I guess...

"The best we can agree on

Is it could have been worse" trink39.gif

QUOTE (SlackJaw Gazer @ May 4 2007, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 4 2007, 02:14 PM)
C'mon people......this song is not even CLOSE to the worst Rush song.......I'm sure we can find a few songs on RTB that are worse.

I thought you were going over to the Tug McGraw forum to wait for a cover or something.

.....sorry, and you are?

Archived