Most overrated bands/artists of all time....

Roddy

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Sep 16 2006, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 16 2006, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Sep 15 2006, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 14 2006, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Sep 14 2006, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 13 2006, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Sep 13 2006, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2006, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Sep 12 2006, 06:00 PM)
Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is certainly not overrated...like him or not, he influenced music in more ways than you could even begin to list.

Sorry, but I just can't buy into that. In my opinion, the man has absolutely no talant what so ever. And nothing you can say could ever change my mind on that.

I get the feeling you hate his vocals but you can't deny he's written good songs...

What exactly did he write that was so fantastic? I know he influenced alot of people, but I'm sure the Backstreet Boys & N' Sync influenced some people too. That doesn't make them great.

No, they didn't influence anybody. Teenybopper pop had been around before they came around, and it's virtually unchanged since they became completely irrelevant somewhere in 2001. They brought nothing new to the table and their music left no lasting impact.

Dylan, on the other hand, absolutely revolutionized the music industry, and his influence continues to reverberate around every corner of popular music.

let me ask you this: What songs/albums are you basing your opinion on Dylan on?

Dylan albums I heard were The Times They are a Changing, Modern Times(I think that's the name) Blood on the Tracks, Blonde On Blonde, Desire, Nashville something(can't remember the name of the album) & a few others I can't remember. And I can't see where the this man is recognized as one as the all time great musician & songwriter. Songs like Sad Eyed Lady or Absolutely Sweet Marie is just a waste of recoreding time. I guess it's the period of time when he started.

As for the the Backstreet Boys & the other boyband crap, I didn't say they revolutionized the music world, I'm just saying I'm sure they influenced someone to sing.

Dylan was the first to bring poetry, social and political commentary, and storytelling to lyricwriting. Before him, pop music was mostly about bringing your highschool sweetheart to the dance. Dylan completely rewrote the rules for songwriting.

Sorry, but I'm still not impressed with anything Dylan has done. Just not my cup of tea. We'll just have to agree to disagree wink.gif

Hey, I don't like listening to Dylan either. He's not a good singer and I'm not much into that style of music (though Dylan has many styles). All I know is artists like Rush, Rage Against The Machine, et al who write about things other than girls & boys owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Dylan. You don't have to like him, but you have to respect him.

I totally agree.

As I stated before I can't stand Bob Dylan. I had to sit through his show when he opened for Aerosmith.

I hated it.

With that being said I do respect his song writing. He is a legendary writer and composer.

Hell I even own "Blonde on Blonde" and "Highway 61 Revisited."

Oh and I bought my first Grateful Dead record ever. The AMERICAN BEAUTY dual disc version.

After my first listen. Quite boring, but I don't hate it! Love the cover!

Thanks Goober!

Earl

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Sep 16 2006, 02:41 PM)
To all you dislikers of Ozzy, go out and buy 'No More Tears', listen to it thoroughly, and then tell me if you still think he's overrated. That album is the best thing he's ever done, and that's including Sabbath. It's an ALL TIME Hard Rock/Metal classic.....
Stuff like Bark at the Moon and Blizzard of Oz are awesome too. No way on earth Ozzy is overrated....

But you see, that would involve giving Ozzy money. And that money would inevitably be shared by his wife. So no dice.

Download/burn it then! Just GET it!!!!!!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 16 2006, 07:14 PM)
...snip...Bob Dylan...snip...opened for Aerosmith....

How the hell did this happen?

Aerosmith should be opening for Bob Dylan. Aerosmith wouldn't exist without Bob Dylan.

No, Aerosmith wouldn't exist without a singer, guitarist, bassist, drummer, another guitarist, yada yada tongue.gif

I really like a lot of Bob Dylan, and have a handful of albums, even though I don't LOVE him to death. I find that he was an enormous inspiration and made an incalculable impact on the music industry, but he didn't have a fantastic voice or anything. I find myself enjoying cover tunes of his work much more than the originals in general.

I could never, however, consider one of the most influential musical artists of all time to be overrated in any way. no.gif

QUOTE (WickedYoungMan @ Sep 17 2006, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 16 2006, 07:14 PM)
...snip...Bob Dylan...snip...opened for Aerosmith....

How the hell did this happen?

Aerosmith should be opening for Bob Dylan. Aerosmith wouldn't exist without Bob Dylan.

No, Aerosmith wouldn't exist without a singer, guitarist, bassist, drummer, another guitarist, yada yada tongue.gif

And the Yardbirds, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. I hear nothing of Bob Dylan in Aerosmith. Dylan is introspective, philosophical, poetic and political. Aerosmith is pure sex, drugs and rock and roll. They both like the blues, though.

The last three Dylan albums have been critically praised beyond belief. There are some good songs but Dylan's peak ended about 30 year's ago with Desire and Blood on the Tracks. Anyway, The Doors, in my opinion, is the most overrated band of all time. I also cannot fathom why people like Bon Jovi. I have never seen so many musical and lyrical cliches used as unimaginatively as by Bon Jovi. His/their music is derivative and useless.

Definitely agreed about Bon Jovi...Springsteen knockoffs to the extreme.

Oh and Springsteen, there's another one...I find that most of his E Street Band work sounds like a cross between Bat Out of Hell and the West Side Story soundtrack...I don't know why Springsteen and Dylan get mentioned in the same breath all the time...Dylan was a visionary, Springsteen is a solid craftsman.

There is nothing edgy about Springsteen at all. His songs are completely safe, wholesome, formulaic, and overlong with the sax solos and such. He is probably the least-Rock & Roll out of all rock legends.

Bon Jovi...Springsteen knockoffs to the extreme

Ever see John Cafferty? Now there's a Springsteen knockoff! He's the poor man's Springsteen, with blonde hair.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2006, 01:11 PM)
Bon Jovi...Springsteen knockoffs to the extreme

Ever see John Cafferty? Now there's a Springsteen knockoff! He's the poor man's Springsteen, with blonde hair.

You know, John Cafferty doesn't insult me. I don't take him seriously and I get the impression he wouldn't mind. He's a bar band singer, no more no less. Bon Jovi on the other hand. He's like a mutant hybrid of Springsteen and Bono. He wants so deperately to come across as the working class hero ordinary guy sunglass wearing rock and roll god. He can't sing. He can't write a song. He is the epitome of mediocrity, at best. If an original idea ever entered his mind I'd be surprised. He's pretentious and derivative.

QUOTE (BillBuckner @ Sep 12 2006, 05:21 PM)
Damn, what's not to like 'bout the Doors? fing.gif

LA Woman.

Perhaps the single worst vocal performance in the history of R&R. All the worse that it happened in the studio and that's the best they could make of it.

JM was drunk off his ass, one foot in the grave, without the slightest regard for his art.

It's sad that the great stuff that The Doors had done had to be sullied by this crap. JM was never a great vocalist, but he was a poet, and sang with wonderful emotion early on.

I know JM was the face of the band, but personally I would have replaced him at that point. I don't know what demons drove JM to his death, but it's too bad that the rest of the band let them ruin their work.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 17 2006, 07:59 AM)
The last three Dylan albums have been critically praised beyond belief. There are some good songs but Dylan's peak ended about 30 year's ago with Desire and Blood on the Tracks. Anyway, The Doors, in my opinion, is the most overrated band of all time. I also cannot fathom why people like Bon Jovi. I have never seen so many musical and lyrical cliches used as unimaginatively as by Bon Jovi. His/their music is derivative and useless.

"Have a Nice Day!" smile.gif

When I was a teen-ager I liked Bon Jovi up to the "New Jersey" record.

After that they totally SUCK!

The Bon Jovi of today really drives me crazy!

Does Richie Sambora ever do a nice guitar solo anymore??

Nope! It's all about pretty boy Jon.

Good for him but musically speaking the band is CRAP!

Highly overrated!!

"Have a bad day Jon!" angry.gif

That probably never happens...........

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 18 2006, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 17 2006, 07:59 AM)
The last three Dylan albums have been critically praised beyond belief.  There are some good songs but Dylan's peak ended about 30 year's ago with Desire and Blood on the Tracks.  Anyway, The Doors, in my opinion, is the most overrated band of all time.  I also cannot fathom why people like Bon Jovi.  I have never seen so many musical and lyrical cliches used as unimaginatively as by Bon Jovi. His/their music is derivative and useless.

"Have a Nice Day!" smile.gif

When I was a teen-ager I liked Bon Jovi up to the "New Jersey" record.

After that they totally SUCK!

The Bon Jovi of today really drives me crazy!

Does Richie Sambora ever do a nice guitar solo anymore??

Nope! It's all about pretty boy Jon.

Good for him but musically speaking the band is CRAP!

Highly overrated!!

"Have a bad day Jon!" angry.gif

That probably never happens...........

I can't stand Bon Jovi. Highly overrated.

while i'm decidedly not a bon jovi fan, i have to say that i saw them as an opening group in the early 80's, opening up for the scorpions of all groups. they had one hit, runaway, and my chief memory of them in concert is that they were very, very good in concert. i remember not being surprised when they REALLY started to hit it big.

overrated? yeah, probably, but they were good at that arena poppy hair metal stuff...

QUOTE (Roddy @ Sep 17 2006, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Sep 16 2006, 02:41 PM)
To all you dislikers of Ozzy, go out and buy 'No More Tears', listen to it thoroughly, and then tell me if you still think he's overrated. That album is the best thing he's ever done, and that's including Sabbath. It's an ALL TIME Hard Rock/Metal classic.....
Stuff like Bark at the Moon and Blizzard of Oz are awesome too. No way on earth Ozzy is overrated....

But you see, that would involve giving Ozzy money. And that money would inevitably be shared by his wife. So no dice.

Download/burn it then! Just GET it!!!!!!

I have the first three Ozzy albums on CD-R the original mixes and not those Sharon Osbourne GREED induced re-recorded mixes

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 15 2006, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 15 2006, 05:30 PM)
The Eagles are not overrated. I know some people here hate them but I always had a soft spot for them.

The Eagles represent everything I hate about classic rock. I find that classic rock is at its most insufferable when it's trying to pass itself off as blues or country...bands like Styx and Foriegner were terrible but they were never ashamed of their AOR arena-rock-ness, so they were more albe to just write catchy songs without worrying about legitimacy.

But then you get down to Bob Seger, George Thorogood, all that kind of stuff, and they're thinking that if they add one blues lick into their otherwise unremarkable middle-of-the-road meat-and-potatoes rock songs, that they are carrying on this great tradition. Similarly, the Eagles seem to think that being laid-back and soft-rock with acoustic guitars somehow makes them "country," which it doesn't. It just makes them nauseatingly bland.

Also, I love how the Eagles call their tour the "Farewell I Tour" as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the has-been nostalgia bands who have lost all relevance, without realizing that they are absolutely the epitome of said.

The Eagles debuted at a time that country rock was big then after they added Don Felder they went more toward rock slowly but surely then with Joe Walsh they rocked more.

Bob Seger came out in 1968 with his debut and it wasn't until 1976 with his ninth album LIVE BULLET that he became a household name. Bruce Springsteen released his debut in 1973 and was HUGE by 1975 with album THREE! Critics called Seger "a poor man's Springsteen" when in fact Seger has made records longer than Springsteen.

Some people think Pink Floyd are overrated cos of DSotM and The Wall but they had other albums like my favorite WYWH, Animals, OBC, Meddle, TDB, AHM, More and others. People overlook the 1967-72 era PF more than 1973 onwards.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 19 2006, 11:38 AM)
Some people think Pink Floyd are overrated cos of DSotM and The Wall but they had other albums like my favorite WYWH, Animals, OBC, Meddle, TDB, AHM, More and others. People overlook the 1967-72 era PF more than 1973 onwards.

Put in that context, I would say perhaps that the 1973-1979 period of Pink Floyd is overrated. Mind you, I love all those albums, but I happen to love their earlier stuff better, and the degree that the 73-79 period is thought of as being their golden age compared to their 67-72 period I think is grossly unfair, and tends to minimize their earlier stuff.

In general though, I don't think Pink Floyd is overrated. no.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 19 2006, 11:38 AM)
Bob Seger came out in 1968 with his debut and it wasn't until 1976 with his ninth album LIVE BULLET that he became a household name. Bruce Springsteen released his debut in 1973 and was HUGE by 1975 with album THREE! Critics called Seger "a poor man's Springsteen" when in fact Seger has made records longer than Springsteen.

They both suck, though...

Archived