Most overrated bands/artists of all time....

Roddy

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most over-rated: AC/DC, Aerosmith, and the Rolling Stones.

The Stones - what have they really done in the past twenty years? And all their stuff pre-1982 is overplayed.

Aerosmith - what have they really done in the past twenty years that didn't sound exactly like all their other "past twenty years" stuff? And all their stuff pre-1982 is overplayed.

AC/DC - stupid lyrics and an over-rated guitarist who can't really play very well. Most of their songs sound the same. If you like them, it's only because you don't care about lyrics or quality musicianship at all; you prefer party bands and mindless entertainment.

Jimmy Buffett.

I know he's popular with the college crowd (my wife and her college friends love him) and those that dream of rum drinks in a tropical clime, but I think his songs are lame and boring. They probably call his fans "parrot heads" because you have to be a bird brain to like him.

Again, what has he done in the past twenty years that has any relevance whatsoever?

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Sep 13 2006, 01:09 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 12 2006, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 12 2006, 07:57 PM)
This thread deserves a big, fat

THE BEATLES

ok smile.gif

As with Led Zeppelin, to rate the Beatles as overrated as a band is moronic. Sorry again smile.gif

So now I'm moronic just for having an opinon? eyesre4.gif

That was harsh - my apologies.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 12 2006, 09:57 PM)
The Rolling Stones. Jeez.

Also: AC/DC, Yes, Guns 'N' Roses, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Green Day, Coldplay.

The Rolling Stones - I agree with GeddyRulz above in that they haven't done anything worthwhile in 20 years (actually more like 25), but othwerise, I have to strongly disagree with this one. They were a great band with dozens of great songs and ENORMOUSLY influential.

AC/DC - I can see this. They were a fun band, but lyrically not too interesting. How many songs with the word "Rock" in the title did they have? Too many...

Yes - One of the top 3 progressive bands of all time easily and an amazing band. If anything, criminially underrated.

Guns 'N' Roses - I thought they were a decent rock band back when they were popular, but people acted like they were the second coming of Zeppelin or something, and they weren't even close. A decent band that got a lot more recognition than they probably deserved.

Bob Dylan - Influenced so many people it's not funny. Overrated??? Please... eyesre4.gif

Jimi Hendrix - Hmmm, the best and most revolutionary guitarist ever to play the instrument who in a handful of years completely changed rock music forever. A genius and a legend. Overrated? fing.gif

Green Day - Well, there ain't much good out in popular music these days. In the 60's or 70's when there was a huge amount of mainstream talent around, these boys would have sunk like a stone. Now, meh...

Coldplay - I don't care about them enough to even have an opinion...

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 13 2006, 02:48 AM)
Jimmy Buffett.

I know he's popular with the college crowd (my wife and her college friends love him) and those that dream of rum drinks in a tropical clime, but I think his songs are lame and boring. They probably call his fans "parrot heads" because you have to be a bird brain to like him.

Again, what has he done in the past twenty years that has any relevance whatsoever?

Mark, did you just call your wife a bird brain? ohmy.gif doh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 13 2006, 09:03 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 13 2006, 02:48 AM)
Jimmy Buffett.

I know he's popular with the college crowd (my wife and her college friends love him) and those that dream of rum drinks in a tropical clime, but I think his songs are lame and boring.  They probably call his fans "parrot heads" because you have to be a bird brain to like him.

Mark, did you just call your wife a bird brain? ohmy.gif doh.gif tongue.gif

Uh - anyone who uses the expression "birdbrain" has never watched a budgie systematically dismantle the grate in the bottom of her cage in order to get to the tray so she could push it out and escape....parrothead, indeed. laugh.gif

Yeah, Woodstock fought the law - and the law won. I corralled the little imp and taped the tray in - from the outside. rofl3.gif

Back on topic...

The Sex Pistols 062802puke_prv.gif

Nirvana

Metallica (I've tried and tried, but I just don't get it - I'm not saying they're terrible, but I can't figure out the way a lot of my friends worship them, practically. Then again, most of them don't get why I like Rush, so - I guess we're even. smile.gif )

I think to call the Beatles "over-rated" is to be ignorant of - and show no reverence or respect for - rock history.

Its harder to convince a younger generation of the brilliance of a band like The Beatles because its nothing new at this point. 40 years ago when the music was first coming out, it was the freshest, most innovative thing anyone had ever done in the studio before. Nowadays, people have access to so much more music that has been influenced and with styles borrowing from The Beatles, it is nearly impossible to comprehend what came first.

Its more of an opinion thing. I do agree that a band like Led Zeppelin shouldnt be considered overrated, but the music just does nothing for me anymore. I dont have nearly the connection to that band that an older generation would have. Same with most younger people who arent into a lot of the classic rock bands. The whole point of rock is to be rebellious and find your own voice, how are you going to do that listening to the same music and learning the same ideas as your parents, where is the progression?

The thing about this is to differentiate your personal tastes from the importance and worth of the music. The bulk of Led Zeppelin's work does absolutely nothing for me, but they influenced pretty much every hard rock act that came after, so even though I don't care for them that much anymore, I would never call them "overrated." They deserve their reputation, even if it's not what I mostly enjoy listening to.

Before the Beatles came around, most major rock acts had their songs written for them by their producer and/or record label songwriting team. The Beatles invented the concept of the self-contained rock band, writing and playing their own material and singing their own songs. After they stopped performing live in 1966, they became a studio-only band, and started experimenting with different recording techniques. The backwards-tape stuff and feedback and all that stuff they did on Revolver was absolutely unprecedented. In this era, everything else coming out was girl groups and teen idols. The Beatles changed all that. When they got into Dylan, they decided to one-up him on the folk-rock thing, and did so with Help! and Rubber Soul. They also popularized nationally the spychedelic movement, which in turn led to some of the earliest progressive rock music, which influenced many people. So, no Beatles, no Rush. Geddy, Alex and Neil would be the first people to agree with me.

I agree with Moonraker - the reason some people don't see the Beatles as the geniuses they were was because elements of their music have completely saturated everything now. Pretty much everyone who has made rock music in the last 40 years owes something to the Beatles. Which is why they can never be called "overrated," their influence runs too deep.

If you personally don't enjoy the Beatles' music, that's cool. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and tastes. I'm not going to knock you for that. But to deny their importance is just plain ignorant of rock history.

QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 13 2006, 07:11 PM)
You could say the same thing about Nirvana, I guess. I'll just never admit to liking them! tongue.gif

Well that's just it....Just because you don't like a certain band doesn't mean they are overrated...for instance I totally don't like Michael Jackson but I certainly don't think he is overrated. On the flipside there are some bands who's music I like but I would honestly say they are overrated.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 13 2006, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 13 2006, 07:11 PM)
You could say the same thing about Nirvana, I guess. I'll just never admit to liking them! tongue.gif

Well that's just it....Just because you don't like a certain band doesn't mean they are overrated...for instance I totally don't like Michael Jackson but I certainly don't think he is overrated. On the flipside there are some bands who's music I like but I would honestly say they are overrated.

I would say the same thing. Sometimes people get caught up in their personal tastes and can't look at the bigger picture of things.

As for Nirvana, I love them, but you could definitely make a case for them being overrated musically. But the fact is, they brought alternative culture into the mainstream, and replaced Guns N' Roses as kings of rock. The 80s officially died sometime in 1992, when Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" album was knocked off the top of the charts by "Nevermind." That has to count for something.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2006, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Sep 12 2006, 06:00 PM)
Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is certainly not overrated...like him or not, he influenced music in more ways than you could even begin to list.

Sorry, but I just can't buy into that. In my opinion, the man has absolutely no talant what so ever. And nothing you can say could ever change my mind on that.

Archived