Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 12 2007, 11:26 PM)
Just curious what venue was it in Cleveland?
My wife had to calm me down at R30 tour Blossom,
Scene magazine had a booth there they use to be big RUSH supporters but in recent years have done nothing but taken cheap shots at them(the usual ignorant Geddy's voice slams)
I let it be known to everyone who stepped up to booth that Scene has done nothing but slander RUSH and they don't belong here! Then i started yelling Scene Sucks!!!
But my wife finally made me realize these teens didn't have anything to do with it, The asshole writers are the ones, these kids were just there doing promo and signing people up for subscriptions. Felt bad for making them my target, but I did at least turned a few RUSH fans away once i talked to them from signing up.
Long winded off the subject story, but the point is hope Mike dosen't judge all the members of TRF as DT hate mongers perhaps it was CP site.

I had tickets to cleveland but couldn't go since my band just got to the next round on "American Band" and we needed to practice saturday night. Heading out to Vegas Sunday to compete.

Going to DT in Detroit tonight, though!

Anyone else going? I'm wearing my caress of steel shirt.

-TMD

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 13 2007, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 12 2007, 11:26 PM)
Just curious what venue was it in Cleveland?
My wife had to calm me down at R30  tour Blossom,
Scene magazine had a booth there they use to be big RUSH supporters but in recent years have done nothing but taken cheap shots at them(the usual ignorant Geddy's voice slams)
I let it be known to everyone who stepped up to booth that Scene has done nothing but slander RUSH and they don't belong here! Then i started yelling  Scene Sucks!!!
But my wife finally made me realize these teens didn't have anything to do with it, The asshole writers are the ones, these kids were just there doing promo and signing people up for subscriptions. Felt bad for making them my target, but I did at least turned a few RUSH fans away once i talked to them from signing up.
Long winded off the subject story, but the point is hope Mike dosen't judge all the members of TRF as DT hate mongers perhaps it was CP site.

I had tickets to cleveland but couldn't go since my band just got to the next round on "American Band" and we needed to practice saturday night. Heading out to Vegas Sunday to compete.

Going to DT in Detroit tonight, though!

Anyone else going? I'm wearing my caress of steel shirt.

-TMD

Good luck in Vegas! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 13 2007, 04:44 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 13 2007, 01:45 AM)
I can respect that..

Can you really?

But really..it is a messageboard. Someone may think DT is terrible, and they want to explain why they think so. MP shouldn't get butt hurt just because not everyone loves his shitty music.

So after our Admin says he was totally embarrassed by rude comments bashing DT, you decide to make anoither one? wtf.gif Why the hell would you make this comment here??

Because it's called my opinion. I don't care if he felt embarassed because some cry baby reacted in a way he shouldn't. Not everyone is going to like his music, get over it.

BTW, I was pretty civil with my distate towards DT. Not like a flooded this thread with bad comments. I was just saying what I felt, I think you need to chill out.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Hey, MP is a good guy. This DT thing is outta control. Has anyone that's ragging on mike actually met him? He's a down-to-earth fantastic human and doesn't deserve this. No wonder Neil stopped the fan-email with all these hateful people in the world!

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 13 2007, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 13 2007, 04:44 AM)
I can respect that..

Can you really?

But really..it is a messageboard. Someone may think DT is terrible, and they want to explain why they think so. MP shouldn't get butt hurt just because not everyone loves his shitty music.

So after our Admin says he was totally embarrassed by rude comments bashing DT, you decide to make anoither one? wtf.gif Why the hell would you make this comment here??

Because it's called my opinion. I don't care if he felt embarassed because some cry baby reacted in a way he shouldn't. Not everyone is going to like his music, get over it.

BTW, I was pretty civil with my distate towards DT. Not like a flooded this thread with bad comments. I was just saying what I felt, I think you need to chill out.

You had your say in your original comments, why did you have to repeat it AFTER the comments by RR? That is what was unnecessary.

Just for the record, I am not a fan of DT nor do I hate them. I haven't listened to enough of their music to make a judgement one way or the other. It's annoying to read to read so much hate about something, just because the writer can hide behind the internet. I am sure none of you have ener stood in the "D" section of the record store & told anyone approaching the DT cd's "Do not buy these albums, this band sucks!"

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 13 2007, 12:54 PM)
Hey, MP is a good guy. This DT thing is outta control. Has anyone that's ragging on mike actually met him? He's a down-to-earth fantastic human and doesn't deserve this. No wonder Neil stopped the fan-email with all these hateful people in the world!

Hey! You Portnoy? smile.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Aug 13 2007, 11:45 AM)

That would be funny/sad if it was really him.

He might not really even check these boards, like some think. He could of just heard from others that they were disliked on here, or maybe he glanced once.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 13 2007, 02:59 PM)

He might not really even check these boards, like some think. He could of just heard from others that they were disliked on here, or maybe he glanced once.

You do an awful lot of talking about bands you don't like, which seems strange to me...

wacko.gif

I heard a minor politician over here in the UK being asked if he ever googled his name. he said he did once but it was like hearing a million people all shouting 'You Bastard' at you.

I can't help but feel a little responsible for MP's comments. I hope it wasn't when I said DT is music for sexually repressed control freaks who shudder at the very thought of a woman's touch...

Hmmm, I'm not exactly bringing balance to the force chiming in with comments like that right now!

Love you!!!!!

Disco

No, I'm sure the band's sexual exploits are as experimental, bizarre and (frankly) long winded as their music.. whether gay or straight I'm sure they're giving their lovers all they need, and more. Like I say, like the music. The odds of MP ever shagging in the missionary position seems frankly remote. These are people who simply cannot help but over-embellish and make things just that little more fancy. And, let's face it MP's got great rhythm.

It's the fans who are sexually repressed. All of them, with exception.

Disco

Edited by Disco

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 13 2007, 12:05 PM)

You do an awful lot of talking about bands you don't like, which seems strange to me...

wacko.gif

Oh yeah...since disliking a band means never talking about them.

Again..I really think you should read my comments. I have yet to say anything trollish or rude.

Chill out my mang.

Plus, i've seen other bands get trashed much more in other threads, yet..no one ever says anything about those ones. But god forbid, if we say anything about DT...

QUOTE (Disco @ Aug 13 2007, 03:21 PM)
No, I'm sure the band's sexual exploits are as experimental, bizarre and (frankly) long winded as their music.. whether gay or straight I'm sure they're giving their lovers all they need, and more.  Like I say, like the music.  The odds of MP ever shagging in the missionary position seems frankly remote.  These are people who simply cannot help but over-embellish and make things just that little more fancy.  And, let's face it MP's got great rhythm.

It's the fans who are sexually repressed.  All of them, with exception.

Disco

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 13 2007, 03:24 PM)

wacko.gif

Again..I really think you should read my comments. I have yet to say anything trollish or rude.

Chill out my mang.

Plus, i've seen other bands get trashed much more in other threads, yet..no one ever says anything about those ones. But god forbid, if we say anything about DT...

I tell you I would be astonished if you could point out a thread here to me where another band gets it worst ( and with the same level of frequency )than DT.

I really would.

On a side note: wasn't the official DT forum closed because of the trolls there?

DT is the worlds musical punching bag.

wacko.gif

Chill out my mang.

Hey I'm always chilled obviously you haven't read my comments either...

wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Aug 13 2007, 03:21 PM)
No, I'm sure the band's sexual exploits are as experimental, bizarre and (frankly) long winded as their music.. whether gay or straight I'm sure they're giving their lovers all they need, and more.  Like I say, like the music.  The odds of MP ever shagging in the missionary position seems frankly remote.  These are people who simply cannot help but over-embellish and make things just that little more fancy.  And, let's face it MP's got great rhythm.

It's the fans who are sexually repressed.  All of them, with exception.

Disco

I'm sure Tick, the world's biggest DT fan gives those sheep all the kinky experimental sex they crave...so how does this fit into your DT fan sexoscope?

msn_sheep.png

Edited by treeduck

Point me to the YouTube video of Tick doing the Split Petal position singing Hi-Ho Silver Lining, in a gimp mask, while waving a lasso around his head..then I'll back down and agree you're right...

Disco

I saw the Chicago show this past weekend. Was blown away. One of the best shows I've seen in my life.

If I was Mike and read therushforum DT threads occasionally [perhaps in the "hey I wonder what Rush fans think of DT?" mode], I would make the same conclusion he did. That, for the most part, TRF hates DT. I know in one or two threads in the past I have defended DT and felt like I was a lone voice in a demon-possed mob (not saying I'm the only DT fan on this board, that's not the case). After awhile I just shrugged my shoulders and gave up coming to their defense here.

I could see Mike making this comment. For whatever reason, the anti-DT people have been more vocal than the DT fans on this board.

I have a theory about that.

You can make an argument at almost any point in time after the late 70s that each Rush member was the best at their respective instrument. In the 80s they won quite a few awards reinforcing that thought.

Then the 90s come and Rush and these awards start trailing off. Not surprising, as many were voter-driven and it's hard for any one band or person to stay on the music radar for too long. Other folks starting getting awards. Good for them. Some DT folks happen be on the list of new people getting recognized.

But here is where the conversation drops to 3rd grade level. Some Rush fans aren't happy that their beloved band is no longer considered the best muscians in the world. "Neil is still the best drummer!" they cry. "Who is this Mike guy? I hate him and his band. I heard a track and man are they waaaaay overrated" is their gut reaction.

At some level, I understand this. They are protecting their heroes. They feel under attack, and the walls of defense come up.

This is just a theory, I could be wrong and these guys really do hate DT's music and/or dislike the band members personally.

On another level I don't understand it. If you want to be bitter about a band who's musical ability doesn't match their fan base, why not go after someone like The Ramones?

I think what's ironic about the whole thing is that, as a whole, musicians tend to be much less competitive and comparative than the fans are. To DT's success, I'm quite sure the boys in Rush would say, "Good for them." To Porcupine Tree's success, they'd say, "Good for them." A certain guitarist from Rush might even agree to play the solo on track 3 of Porcupine Tree's latest cd. To me, that's saying, "Not only do I think you are good and wish you well, I'll try to help you be even *better*."

I'm getting off tangent here. Thanks for reading if you're still with me.

To RR, I hope you enjoyed the show (even if your seat wasn't quite ideal). I know you're big enough to get over it - it's just hard/weird when you only have a few words to exchange with someone you like and it starts off awkward due to this whole thing.

But what do you do. Some Rush fans will continue to be vocal and rail against DT. It is what it is, I guess.

Schro

P.S. Yes, I came out of hiding just for this post. No, you cannot know the location of my secret lair. Unless you peeked during the drive. You didn't peek did you? You're not supposed to peek.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 13 2007, 12:45 PM)

wacko.gif

Chill out my mang.

Hey I'm always chilled obviously you haven't read my comments either...

wink.gif laugh.gif

Guess not.

So ne ways, I think Good Charlotte is a million times worse then Dream Theater.

QUOTE (Disco @ Aug 13 2007, 03:58 PM)
Point me to the YouTube video of Tick doing the Split Petal position singing Hi-Ho Silver Lining, in a gimp mask, while waving a lasso around his head..then I'll back down and agree you're right...

Disco

They banned that...

QUOTE (Schro @ Aug 13 2007, 01:43 PM)
For whatever reason, the anti-DT people have been more vocal than the DT fans on this board.

I have a theory about that.

You can make an argument at almost any point in time after the late 70s that each Rush member was the best at their respective instrument. In the 80s they won quite a few awards reinforcing that thought.

Then the 90s come and Rush and these awards start trailing off. Not surprising, as many were voter-driven and it's hard for any one band or person to stay on the music radar for too long. Other folks starting getting awards. Good for them. Some DT folks happen be on the list of new people getting recognized.

But here is where the conversation drops to 3rd grade level. Some Rush fans aren't happy that their beloved band is no longer considered the best muscians in the world. "Neil is still the best drummer!" they cry. "Who is this Mike guy? I hate him and his band. I heard a track and man are they waaaaay overrated" is their gut reaction.

That might be true for some, but not for me. They may well be more technically skilled musicians than Rush, for all I know. Someone who knows about that stuff could tell you. I don't choose who I listen to based on how technically proficient they are.