Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 27 2007, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 27 2007, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 27 2007, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 27 2007, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 27 2007, 07:48 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 25 2007, 10:44 PM)
There does seem to be an irrational hate towards DT from some Rush fans that borders on hysteria, it's kind of baffling folks. Get a grip will you please it does look a little ridiculous, really...

Wow, never expected this truckload of reactions by saying that I seriously dont like Dream Theater.

But hate?? mmm, dont think so. Just cant stand that clean sound. I dont see them as a band with an original sound.

To me , it's a bit too fabricated. Let's do it very difficult, guys!

Sort of Toto , but then the deluxe version.

And wrt comment on emotion. I dont mean that the lyrics need to address human emotions, feelings, lessons in live etc.

Its just a combination of sound, lyrics and also (maybe most important) the way it is sung. To me , Afterimage is such a song. Or The Pass, or even Between the Wheels and Mission (listen to that last verse, how beautiful that is sung , also with that sound).

When I compare that to DT, it feels like opening the refrigerator or even the freezer.

In general , all the Rush songs on Cygnus, Apollo, Dyonisus, Xanadu etc. (how much I do love them) also dont have that feeling for me like the Permanent Waves - let's say Counterparts era. Im not a big fan of T4E and Vapor Trails.

The problem with folks that dont like Dream Theater is, its not enough that they dont like the band, its the fact they have to makes long winded drawn out statements about why they dont like them. eyesre4.gif The Dream Theater fan who loves the band really doesn't give a shit why the Rush fan does not. no.gif I will never understand the level of hatred towards DT from some Rush fans ? Were these fans born with a small penis ? Did they not get enough love as a child ? Are they just clueless ?(probably the reason) Dream Theater is awesome to the fans that get it. If you dont get it, your loss, go make posts about the color of Neils drum kit and leave the people who love this world class band alone.

Listen, Hulk Hogan.

First I made a comment in just two sentences. Then when someone asks me to make a longer statement, i do that. OK?

But dont stone me with your Neandertal comments about penis size, love as a child (?) etc.

Am I an idiot cause I dont like one of your beloved bands? So if we diagree on the quality of a writer, painter, musician etc. you come up with penis sizes? Grow up, wet fart. You react like a fundamentalist Muslim who cannot cope with a cartoon about the prophet.

Your Hulk cartoon suits you fine, I believe.

Dude, i think your wooden shoes are too tight. Are you an idiot cause you dont like one of my favorite bands ? No, not really, your ridiculous however cause your taking my sophmoric nonsence post to Heart. yes.gif

better to have wooden shoes than to walk around in dino shit with bare feet.

Lazer op met je troep, flapdrol.

Im not sure about that. Its wonderfull to swish your toes in a bit of Dino poop. Now that beats splinters in your sole any day.

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 27 2007, 08:21 AM)
Were these fans born with a small penis ?.

The women were!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 28 2007, 02:05 PM)
ok, listen up geniuses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7ABxAcMdA

please tell me that that guitar solo has no emotion with a straight face....

It has, and my face is as straigth as it will ever be.... wink.gif

Though, I am wondering a bit of the quality of SOME of the other parts on this song. It almost seems like they were jamming and found some very good parts and needed to glue them together in order to get a full song. For experienced musicians like DT this is no problem, they know what chord or scale that should be there. Those parts that glue together the songs does not have the same quality, its more theory than feeling.

I think I can transcribe this theory to other DT songs on the last albums, a lot of songs that gets "ruined" by a few bad parts.

Though I still really appreciate DT, the last album I really appreciated was Scenes from a Memory.

Now you can slaugther my opinions! cool10.gif

ok, listen up geniuses

I had to hold back the tears. sarcasm.gif

Seriously, they are GREAT musicians, without question. Personally, I just don't connect emotionally with their music. Most of what they do seems calculated to me. I guess I just don't get it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 29 2007, 06:07 AM)
ok, listen up geniuses

emotional =/= sad

in any case, let's try this again. Take a good listen to this DT song, and report back to me. If you didn't at least mentally shed a tear, you are a heartless bastard tongue.gif

I dunno who started the whole thing about John not having any feel. Complete bullshit probably stemming from someone hearing he was a brilliant player and comparing him to Vai or Satriani (Who by the way both bore the hell out of me). All you have to do is pick up Scenes From A Memory to here how many different styles he can cover. The Spirit Carries On is one of my favourite examples of John playing with emotion and there are no excuses. If you can't hear it you're quite simply stupid. laugh.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 29 2007, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 29 2007, 06:07 AM)
ok, listen up geniuses

emotional =/= sad

in any case, let's try this again. Take a good listen to this DT song, and report back to me. If you didn't at least mentally shed a tear, you are a heartless bastard tongue.gif

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/1tinman5av.jpg

tongue.gif

Seriously, it's not my intention to hurl insults at Dream Theater. They are great musicians, they're just not my cup of tea. To each his own. trink39.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Dec 29 2007, 02:59 PM)
I dunno who started the whole thing about John not having any feel. Complete bullshit probably stemming from someone hearing he was a brilliant player and comparing him to Vai or Satriani (Who by the way both bore the hell out of me). All you have to do is pick up Scenes From A Memory to here how many different styles he can cover. The Spirit Carries On is one of my favourite examples of John playing with emotion and there are no excuses. If you can't hear it you're quite simply stupid. laugh.gif

TSCO is best on the LSFNY DVD if you ask me.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Dec 28 2007, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Dec 26 2007, 04:41 PM)
Does anyone like Systematic Chaos?

I like how raw it is, but I definitely have to be in the right state of mind. ItPoE is absolutely killer, so is Constant Motion. It's probably a 3.5-4 star out of 5 for me.

I really like Systematic Chaos.

Unfortunatly it had to be the album that followed up Octavarium

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 30 2007, 04:45 AM)

I like how raw it is, but I definitely have to be in the right state of mind. ItPoE is absolutely killer, so is Constant Motion. It's probably a 3.5-4 star out of 5 for me.

I don't have S.C. yet. It's not really heavy is it? I prefer the more openly Progressive Dream Theater than when they're just banging out heavy riffs for 20 minutes at a time.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 29 2007, 10:45 PM)

Chaos is every bit as good as Octivarium. yes.gif This album is very diverse. Its heavy at times, atmospheric at others, and very progressive in general. Its a great all around album for the band. After 20 years, DT is still great cause they keep doing something different everytime out.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 1 2008, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 25 2007, 01:00 PM)
Seriously, Kevin Moore was a peice of crap.

Yeah, right.........

wacko.gif wacko.gif

Yeah what the hell's all that about. I'd like to see anyone here play half as well as Moore.

What is he up to at the moment?

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 1 2008, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 1 2008, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 25 2007, 01:00 PM)
Seriously, Kevin Moore was a peice of crap.

Yeah, right.........

wacko.gif wacko.gif

Yeah what the hell's all that about. I'd like to see anyone here play half as well as Moore.

What is he up to at the moment?

Practicing for a DT reunion concert biggrin.gif

ahh well we can always dream sad.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Dec 29 2007, 01:59 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 30 2007, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 29 2007, 10:45 PM)

Chaos is every bit as good as Octivarium. yes.gif This album is very diverse. Its heavy at times, atmospheric at others, and very progressive in general. Its a great all around album for the band. After 20 years, DT is still great cause they keep doing something different everytime out.

Don't Get Me Wrong, I like Systematic Chaos...very much (though "Octavarium" is still my faviorate).

What I ment by that comment was that after Octavarium was released it was very critically acclaimed, really popular...etc. Merits that Octavarium deserved.

Meaning that, I felt the shadow of Octavarium fell atop Systematic Chaos.......A little.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/upfiles.aspx/0/asppg_Ik900749201.jpg

Portnoy as a child. laugh.gif

Mike posted this picture on his site.

Edited by tick

It f***ing kicks ass. Just as solid as Awake (my favourite) and nearly as classic.