Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 17 2007, 05:47 AM)
Did any of you DT fans get your copy of Rich Wilson's biography of the band yet? It's called Lifting Shadows, my copy arrived today. Very swish, you get two books, Images is full of pictures(no shit sherlock) and Words has.....ah......words! Both books are delivered in a very tasty DT embossed case. Here's the great bit, anyone who paid for the book prior to printing got their name mentioned in the back of the book. I'm on page 370!! Cool.

That's awesome! I was going to pre-order it, but didn't. Damn!!

Is this bio authorized by the band? I'll have to get it.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Dec 17 2007, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 17 2007, 05:47 AM)
Did any of you DT fans get your copy of Rich Wilson's biography of the band yet? It's called Lifting Shadows, my copy arrived today. Very swish, you get two books, Images is full of pictures(no shit sherlock) and Words has.....ah......words! Both books are delivered in a very tasty DT embossed case. Here's the great bit, anyone who paid for the book prior to printing got their name mentioned in the back of the book. I'm on page 370!! Cool.

That's awesome! I was going to pre-order it, but didn't. Damn!!

Is this bio authorized by the band? I'll have to get it.

It's authorised and also comes with a CD of unreleased stuff compiled by MP.

QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 24 2007, 08:52 AM)
Dream Theater, no emotion.
What a bunch of wankers. 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

http://fruitfly.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/baby_flipping_the_bird.jpg

http://www.birdslikeus.com/images/go%20away.jpg moon.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 24 2007, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 24 2007, 09:31 AM)
^What? 'Home' has no emotion?  unsure.gif

Jeez...

I can name about 50 dream theater songs so packed full of passion and emotion that it would make your head plotz.

Dissapear, for instance.

The emotion thing with DT is so old ! I mean please, Rush fans picking on Dream Theater for lack of emotion. Thats ridiculous considering how emotional some of Rushs albums are. Just look at Power Windows or Hold your fire, or Test for Echo, i mean wow, talk about music just brimming with emotion. sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 24 2007, 10:55 PM)

Jeez...

I can name about 50 dream theater songs so packed full of passion and emotion that it would make your head plotz.

Dissapear, for instance.

The emotion thing with DT is so old ! I mean please, Rush fans picking on Dream Theater for lack of emotion. Thats ridiculous considering how emotional some of Rushs albums are. Just look at Power Windows or Hold your fire, or Test for Echo, i mean wow, talk about music just brimming with emotion. sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif

Plenty with emotion in Manhattan Project and Mystic Rythms.

DT lost their emotion when Kevin Moore left. It does not mean that its bad, its just too much business.

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Dec 25 2007, 02:05 PM)
They are friggin amazing! Period! Anyone who bags on this band hasn't got a clue- PERIOD!!

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

Jeez...

Dissapear, for instance.

The lyrics to that one almost made me cry...

La Brie's best lyrics

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 8 2005, 08:25 AM)
i recently found out here that alot of neil fans dont like portnoy,well i do.the guy can play,and ya know what he has nothing to do with neil,neil is the master ,always was,always will be!

Mike Portnoy would probably be the first guy to echo this statement.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Dec 25 2007, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 24 2007, 10:55 PM)

Jeez...

Dissapear, for instance.

Plenty with emotion in Manhattan Project and Mystic Rythms.

DT lost their emotion when Kevin Moore left. It does not mean that its bad, its just too much business.

Don't forget Mission, Time Stand Still, Prime Mover, or Middletown Dreams!

Pssstt.. "uplifting" is an emotion too, you know biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Dec 27 2007, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 8 2005, 08:25 AM)
i recently found out here that alot of neil fans dont like portnoy,well i do.the guy can play,and ya know what he has nothing to do with neil,neil is the master ,always was,always will be!

Mike Portnoy would probably be the first guy to echo this statement.

I talked to mike on the first couple shows they did in my area (92/93) and he didn't strike me as egotistical at all. In fact I've read where he dismisses being one of the greats and pointed out who the true greats in drumming were, in his opinion. Neil was amongst the most influential in the early years of DT, along with Alan White of Yes, another phenomenal drummer.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 25 2007, 10:44 PM)
There does seem to be an irrational hate towards DT from some Rush fans that borders on hysteria, it's kind of baffling folks. Get a grip will you please it does look a little ridiculous, really...

Wow, never expected this truckload of reactions by saying that I seriously dont like Dream Theater.

But hate?? mmm, dont think so. Just cant stand that clean sound. I dont see them as a band with an original sound.

To me , it's a bit too fabricated. Let's do it very difficult, guys!

Sort of Toto , but then the deluxe version.

And wrt comment on emotion. I dont mean that the lyrics need to address human emotions, feelings, lessons in live etc.

Its just a combination of sound, lyrics and also (maybe most important) the way it is sung. To me , Afterimage is such a song. Or The Pass, or even Between the Wheels and Mission (listen to that last verse, how beautiful that is sung , also with that sound).

When I compare that to DT, it feels like opening the refrigerator or even the freezer.

In general , all the Rush songs on Cygnus, Apollo, Dyonisus, Xanadu etc. (how much I do love them) also dont have that feeling for me like the Permanent Waves - let's say Counterparts era. Im not a big fan of T4E and Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 27 2007, 07:48 AM)
There does seem to be an irrational hate towards DT from some Rush fans that borders on hysteria, it's kind of baffling folks. Get a grip will you please it does look a little ridiculous, really...

Wow, never expected this truckload of reactions by saying that I seriously dont like Dream Theater.

But hate?? mmm, dont think so. Just cant stand that clean sound. I dont see them as a band with an original sound.

And wrt comment on emotion. I dont mean that the lyrics need to address human emotions, feelings, lessons in live etc.

Its just a combination of sound, lyrics and also (maybe most important) the way it is sung. To me , Afterimage is such a song. Or The Pass, or even Between the Wheels and Mission (listen to that last verse, how beautiful that is sung , also with that sound).

When I compare that to DT, it feels like opening the refrigerator or even the freezer.

In general , all the Rush songs on Cygnus, Apollo, Dyonisus, Xanadu etc. (how much I do love them) also dont have that feeling for me like the Permanent Waves - let's say Counterparts era. Im not a big fan of T4E and Vapor Trails.

The problem with folks that dont like Dream Theater is, its not enough that they dont like the band, its the fact they have to makes long winded drawn out statements about why they dont like them. eyesre4.gif The Dream Theater fan who loves the band really doesn't give a shit why the Rush fan does not. no.gif I will never understand the level of hatred towards DT from some Rush fans ? Were these fans born with a small penis ? Did they not get enough love as a child ? Are they just clueless ?(probably the reason) Dream Theater is awesome to the fans that get it. If you dont get it, your loss, go make posts about the color of Neils drum kit and leave the people who love this world class band alone.

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 27 2007, 03:21 PM)

The problem with folks that dont like Dream Theater is, its not enough that they dont like the band, its the fact they have to makes long winded drawn out statements about why they dont like them. eyesre4.gif The Dream Theater fan who loves the band really doesn't give a shit why the Rush fan does not. no.gif I will never understand the level of hatred towards DT from some Rush fans ? Were these fans born with a small penis ? Did they not get enough love as a child ? Are they just clueless ?(probably the reason) Dream Theater is awesome to the fans that get it. If you dont get it, your loss, go make posts about the color of Neils drum kit and leave the people who love this world class band alone.

Listen, Hulk Hogan.

First I made a comment in just two sentences. Then when someone asks me to make a longer statement, i do that. OK?

But dont stone me with your Neandertal comments about penis size, love as a child (?) etc.

Am I an idiot cause I dont like one of your beloved bands? So if we diagree on the quality of a writer, painter, musician etc. you come up with penis sizes? Grow up, wet fart. You react like a fundamentalist Muslim who cannot cope with a cartoon about the prophet.

Your Hulk cartoon suits you fine, I believe.

QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 27 2007, 09:09 AM)

Listen, Hulk Hogan.

First I made a comment in just two sentences. Then when someone asks me to make a longer statement, i do that. OK?

But dont stone me with your Neandertal comments about penis size, love as a child (?) etc.

Am I an idiot cause I dont like one of your beloved bands? So if we diagree on the quality of a writer, painter, musician etc. you come up with penis sizes? Grow up, wet fart. You react like a fundamentalist Muslim who cannot cope with a cartoon about the prophet.

Dude, i think your wooden shoes are too tight. Are you an idiot cause you dont like one of my favorite bands ? No, not really, your ridiculous however cause your taking my sophmoric nonsence post to Heart. yes.gif

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Dec 27 2007, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Raynman @ Dec 27 2007, 09:09 AM)

Listen, Hulk Hogan.

Dude, i think your wooden shoes are too tight. Are you an idiot cause you dont like one of my favorite bands ? No, not really, your ridiculous however cause your taking my sophmoric nonsence post to Heart. yes.gif

better to have wooden shoes than to walk around in dino shit with bare feet.

Lazer op met je troep, flapdrol.