Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

DT were a unique thing at that time. Those too young to remember fail to understand the impact they made in moving progressive and metal music forward. In those genres they had as much influence as Rush has in rock music. To hear them phone it in (especially the lyrics, but even the many borrowed licks from prior songs) with The Averageness saddens most of us old enough to recall that time.

This is horse shit. I am another who became a fan in 1992/1993, and I think The Astonishing is pretty damn great. No, it's not as great as I&W, Awake or Scenes, but BFD; it doesn't have to be. I'd be hard pressed to think of many bands whose 13th studio album is as good as TA.

• Like 1

Lol, why is everyone so worked up in here.

Probably because the band released an album that has divided the fanbase like no other in their career.

I don't care for the album myself but I've moved on. There's too much good music from DT and other bands to dwell on one bad release. I just hope for the best with their next one which should be out in 2018.

• Like 2

Probably because the band released an album that has divided the fanbase like no other in their career.

I don't care for the album myself but I've moved on. There's too much good music from DT and other bands to dwell on one bad release. I just hope for the best with their next one which should be out in 2018.

Gotcha.

Love it or hate it either way no need get all fired up, jmo

Gotcha.

Love it or hate it either way no need get all fired up, jmo

I'm definitely not "fired up". Tick on the other hand went from zero to screw you in one post.

• Like 1

I'd be hard pressed to think of many bands whose 13th studio album is as good as TA.

Whether or not a band survives long enough to make 13 albums doesn't have anything to do with it. I'd rather a band make 4 classic albums than 3 classics and 10 meh. But it's hard to sell and tour these days if you don't have new material to promote. Otherwise you end up being those washed up rockers playing summer festivals and super small venues to the few diehards old enough to remember you.

TA is DT's attempt at staying relevant.

Edited by stoopid

So TA is an attempt to stay relevant? They have a large fan base. They make a good living. Portnoy knows he will never the level of success DT has ever again. That's why he would go back to them tomorrow if they asked. They won't.

The Astonishing got excellent reviews overall and the fan base is buying tickets to hear it live. So people can make baseless claims that the album is a failure but the reality is, it isn't.

So TA is an attempt to stay relevant? They have a large fan base. They make a good living. Portnoy knows he will never again have the level of success DT provided him again. That's why he would go back to them tomorrow if they asked. They won't.

The Astonishing got excellent reviews overall and the fan base is buying tickets to hear it live. So people can make baseless claims that the album is a failure but the reality is, it isn't.

Edited by Tick

I said this before , but ...

If nothing else you have to admire them greatly for trying something so ambitious. They could have played it safe and just did another regular release. I like when bands experiment. It keeps me coming back. I like the astonshing , but of course its nowhere near their greatest album ever.

One thing ive i always noticed. When bands try something experimental like this, the next release is often a return to their roots and sometimes among there best.

Anyways i look forward to the show...

Carry on

How is TA the band's way to stay relevant exactly? I'm not aware of the musical style they play on it being a popular thing currently. I've seen them on every tour over the last ten years and the crowd size has remained consistent. So, they're not doing this to get interest back from a dwindling fanbase. A band tries to stay relevant by following current musical trends. Nowhere on TA are Dream Theater doing that. So, I really don't get that statement.

These Walls is a fun song.

Octavarium itself rules.

Mick

Octavarium the album and the song is probably my personal favorite DT album. Yes, even I Walk Beside You (the closest DT equivalent to something like How It Is) I love.

• Like 1

How is TA the band's way to stay relevant exactly? I'm not aware of the musical style they play on it being a popular thing currently. I've seen them on every tour over the last ten years and the crowd size has remained consistent. So, they're not doing this to get interest back from a dwindling fanbase. A band tries to stay relevant by following current musical trends. Nowhere on TA are Dream Theater doing that. So, I really don't get that statement.

Its not only not on trend, it's also lacking a single original idea.

• Like 1

These Walls is a fun song.

Octavarium itself rules.

Mick

Octavarium the album and the song is probably my personal favorite DT album. Yes, even I Walk Beside You (the closest DT equivalent to something like How It Is) I love.

Its a brilliant album! Some songs aren't as good as others, but it's a joy from start to finish! I especially love Sacrificed Sons after These Walls. Beautiful song, and the lyrics are better than most.

• Like 1

A few hokey bits?! Folks, music is subjective. Your on crack digital dad. Funny. I get it. But you can say hokey and a few hundred adjectives to describe ones taste. Just for shits and giggles. What parts are hokey on Octa

A few hokey bits?! Folks, music is subjective. Your on crack digital dad. Funny. I get it. But you can say hokey and a few hundred adjectives to describe ones taste. Just for shits and giggles. What parts are hokey on Octa

Now I think Octavarium is excellent. I like my least favourite songs a lot.

But I do hear Muse on a couple of tracks and U2 on another. And on those tracks (titles escape me, sorry), it is more copy and paste than "inspired by...".

Now I think Octavarium is excellent. I like my least favourite songs a lot.

But I do hear Muse on a couple of tracks and U2 on another. And on those tracks (titles escape me, sorry), it is more copy and paste than "inspired by...".

The Muse one has to be Never Enough, and the U2 one is I Walk Beside You.

The more I listen to TA the more I like it. "Three Days" and "A New Beginning" are other excellent songs in an ever-growing list of excellent songs from the album.

AND I'm going to see it live next month woo hoo, my first DT show!!*

*Which will be awesome, but I really want to see them play a regular concert filled with songs across their catalog eventually.

Edited by Del_Duio

Hahaha! I'm one of the biggest DT Trolls on the planet but even I love all of "Octavarium."

• Like 1

Hahaha! I'm one of the biggest DT Trolls on the planet but even I love all of "Octavarium."

i like you a little more now Earl :P

Mick

Since this thread got rez'd:

Train of Thought rocks! I'm finding it really nice to listen to, at least compared to some of their other stuff which can be a little bit more, eh, un-musical.