Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Mankini, Mangina

that guy's got the most unfortunate last name

he does. and some of the worst hair ever.

but dude can play.

Mick

My last name isn´t easy either...Rodrigo Altaf. Aside from being mistaken for a terrorist and being "randomly chosen for a full luggage check" on virtually every flight I made in Australia, people called me all sorts of things...Rodriggio, At-laugh and so on...

I like to pick on Protnoy but i take nothing away from his ability. But listening to SC and Black Clouds. Drum wise.......man the split was needed. Really bad.

Mangini is different from portnoy......but he has become one of my fav Drummers. His Shattered Fortress blew me the hell back. and before you say it....i don't care about click tracks. Fourth Wall ruled regaurdless.

I hope he get's more involved. but if not we'll have him live.

he works best that way.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I like to pick on Protnoy but i take nothing away from his ability. But listening to SC and Black Clouds. Drum wise.......man the split was needed. Really bad.

Mangini is different from portnoy......but he has become one of my fav Drummers. His Shattered Fortress blew me the hell back. and before you say it....i don't care about click tracks. Fourth Wall ruled regaurdless.

he works best that way.

Mick

Mick!!! Did you really just type, "Protonoy??" As in PRO TOOLS? YOU A ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!! And I thought I was punny!! Thanks for making my day! Oh and I know he is a great drummer. Sadly he is the Lars Ulrich of progressive drumming. A short prick with filled with ignorance and arrogance.

• Like 1

he works best that way.

Mick

Mick!!! Did you really just type, "Protonoy??" As in PRO TOOLS? YOU A ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!! And I thought I was punny!! Thanks for making my day! Oh and I know he is a great drummer. Sadly he is the Lars Ulrich of progressive drumming. A short prick with filled with ignorance and arrogance.

that was unintentional but i ain't correcting it. lol

Wouldn't surprise me if portnoy used pro tools on his last 2 DT albums. i like the records but man he was on major auto-pilot, lol

Mick

Black Clouds was better than any of the last three albums.

I miss Portnoy. Even as a new fan, I can hear the difference.

• Like 2

It sounds like another drummer. Not necessarily a better drummer.

Portnoy wins.

I HAVE to agree with that! From anything with Sherinian, until Black Clouds, I was lost as a fan. It almost seemed like the band was trying too hard to find some sort of identity. Black Clouds reminded me of their TIME with Derek, and prior! I would buy each release HOPING that they'd get back to their basics, but they tried TOO hard to be something they're not!

Portnoy has his "issues" and "fake/lazy fills" but he's the right guy for what they WERE trying to do! I honestly wish they'd give up the DT moniker, and change to something else with their current configuration!

MP tried too hard to be who he wasn't with this band, it seems that his only GOOD stuff is with Transatlantic, and anything Neal Morse is involved with (since he's probably the producer, and a decent drummer in his own right...so he's dictating the play!)

Mike's a GOOD drummer, just not a GREAT drummer!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

I HAVE to agree with that! From anything with Sherinian, until Black Clouds, I was lost as a fan. It almost seemed like the band was trying too hard to find some sort of identity. Black Clouds reminded me of their TIME with Derek, and prior! I would buy each release HOPING that they'd get back to their basics, but they tried TOO hard to be something they're not!

Portnoy has his "issues" and "fake/lazy fills" but he's the right guy for what they WERE trying to do! I honestly wish they'd give up the DT moniker, and change to something else.

MP tried too hard to be who he wasn't with this band, it seems that his only GOOD stuff is with Transatlantic, and anything Neal Morse is involved with (since he's probably the producer, and a decent drummer in his own right...so he's dictating the play!)

Mike Portnoy was the most interesting member of DT. Both as a musician and a personality.

I enjoy the last three albums, but I don't own the last two and I am not really bothered if I ever do or not.

Portnoy has his "issues" and "fake/lazy fills" but he's the right guy for what they WERE trying to do! I honestly wish they'd give up the DT moniker, and change to something else.

Mike Portnoy was the most interesting member of DT. Both as a musician and a personality.

I enjoy the last three albums, but I don't own the last two and I am not really bothered if I ever do or not.

Well the stuff I've heard with Mangini is ok at best.... I'm trying to like the new one, but that damn snare sound is grating on my brain! I'm hoping when I get to see them that they resolve that issue immensely! (do they serve cocktails at the Tower?)

anyway... I know this sounds like I have an issue with the band, but anything with Rudess and forward just isn't the DT I grew to love! I know I've said this before, and some of you are probably sick of me talking about it...but I LOVE Rudess as a player..but NOT with DT! He plays his ass off...but his playing with these guys just doesn't excite me! I wish they'd get another key player (like Sherinian) and get Portnoy back.. some of those boots from that era were great, and I still LOVE them to this day! (hell even the "unplugged" shows are amongst my favorite recordings!)

I really like the self-titled album. My first listen-through had zero highlights other than 3/4 through Illumination Theory, but second time around, with the sound a little higher, I can't really name a song I don't like.

Mangini-era DT is strong.

• Like 1

Love it or hate it, the triggered snare is a part of the charm of I&W. Those redone versions in 2007 might have had more "real" sounding drums, but they didn't have the sound and feel of the originals. I&W is a very spacious sounding record, and those 2007 versions sound too dry and compressed. They added the real drums, but sucked too much life out of them.

Portnoy has his "issues" and "fake/lazy fills" but he's the right guy for what they WERE trying to do! I honestly wish they'd give up the DT moniker, and change to something else with their current configuration!

Good points about Portnoy but I'd suggest he's a GOOD drummer but a GREAT showman.

He's like the Sharp Dressed Man drummer with Prog chops.

That vid never gets old.

• Like 2

My Dream Theater top 3 in chronological order:

When Dream And Day Unite

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Octavarium

Wow!! I am impressed! "When Dream And Day Unite" is in your top three!!!! A very underrated record. I do enjoy it!!

I enjoy the debut more than:

Falling Into Infinity

Train Of Thought

Systematic Chaos

Dream Theater

The Astonishing

Who care if it doesn't have Labrie? Anyone who says DT minus Labrie is not DT should therefore say the same for Portnoy free DT.

As he was there. Right from the beginning.

I liked when Jordan joined the band, and his work on Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees is out of this world. But nowadays, it seems like the "breakdown with circus music" has become a cliché in all their recent albums.
  • Like 1

I liked when Jordan joined the band, and his work on Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees is out of this world. But nowadays, it seems like the "breakdown with circus music" has become a cliché in all their recent albums.

Sorry Rod, I WANT MOORE!

Sorry Rod, I WANT MOORE!

Moore is sadly not an option. The last O heard,he actually joined med school!

I hear ya. I love the first lte disc so i was psyched but....

After jordan joined the group it was too much keys. To me its similar to the keys phase of rush. If that makes sense?

Just not as ballsy and i prefer the earlier material more.

• Like 1