Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

"People just don´t have the time for music anymore"...

Music of this kind? I certainly don´t!

See whilst for many this is true, fans of a band tend to buy out time to play a favourite bands new album.

How free does your schedule have to be to enjoy The Astonishing? As free as you want it. It isn't for everyone.

Had it on in the gym today. God, it's great to run to. The story is ludicrous, but you know, that's ok.

Quibbles after a few weeks of playing it, yes, too syrupy in spots, Myung in the back seat & just playing in the pocket. But overall, STILL LOVING IT.

I don't care what ANYONE says.........still the best thing they've done in a while.

I don't care how schmaltzy cheesy/bad the story lyrics are.

I still play this regulary........awesome.

number 2 DT album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Thankfully my opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to the music I listen too. I know plenty of people who are loving The Astonishing and I am one of them.

"Ermydayz everyone disagrees with me I am too butt hurt to open my mind to all opposing viewpoints I muzt protect my precious album how dare anyone not agree with MY CORRECT OPINION"

Are you Tombstone Mountain, by any chance?

My butt don't hurt but unlike you numskulls (Rod)I don't waste my time trolling repeatedly about something you don't like.You don'tlike it, move on to music you do. You will never find me in any thread meant for fans of the band saying how much I hate something they just did.

Seriously, how many times can you kill the same horse over and over and over...

Edited by Tick
  • Like 3

Thankfully my opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to the music I listen too. I know plenty of people who are loving The Astonishing and I am one of them.

"Ermydayz everyone disagrees with me I am too butt hurt to open my mind to all opposing viewpoints I muzt protect my precious album how dare anyone not agree with MY CORRECT OPINION"

My butt don't hurt but unlike you numskulls (Rod)I don't waste my time trolling repeatedly about something I don't like.You don'tlike it, move on to music you do. You will never find me in any thread meant for fans of the band saying how much I hate something they just did.

I know........i've been guilty of it myself, lol. Though. TA is getting an epic beating here........getting tired of it.........fast.

Mick

I don't see why fans who dislike a new release have to be called trolls.

And I am not bored of reading about the love the album gets. So why get upset when reading negatives?

Even Tony R has been respective of those who like it.

Just because The Astonishing isn't anyone's cup of tea doesn't mean I hate on the band (although I did laugh at Earl's OTT posts this morning...I don't quite understand him and his rants about their current live show).

And I am still eager to know how well this translated live.

And I am not bored of reading about the love the album gets. So why get upset when reading negatives?

Just because The Astonishing isn't anyone's cup of tea doesn't mean I hate on the band (although I did laugh at Earl's OTT posts this morning...I don't quite understand him and his rants about their current live show).

The hate is just so OTT at points. Think CA in reverse.

Maybe it's cause i love it so much, lol.

i'm being sensitive.

Mick

The hate is just so OTT at points. Think CA in reverse.

Maybe it's cause i love it so much, lol.

i'm being sensitive.

Mick

I still have hope it might grow on me. I have mentioned that it has a pleasant sound. It isn't an obnoxious release, I just wish I liked any of the songs, or enjoyed it enough to play it as a whole album.

Never mind...I hope it works live because if the tour bombs it could spell disaster and I want to see them eventually!

• Like 1

You are not a troll for not liking the new album. Not at all. You are not a troll if you make a couple of posts ripping apart the new album cause you don't like it.

You are a troll if you post multiple posts everyday voicing you're disdain for the album over and over when the purpose of the thread is for fans of the band.

Let it go already.

• Like 1

You are not a troll for not liking the new album. Not at all. You are not a troll if you make a couple of posts ripping apart the new album cause you don't like it.

You are a troll if you post multiple posts everyday voicing you're disdain for the album over and over when the purpose of the thread is for fans of the band.

Let it go already.

Disagree.

Being a fan does not mean I have to like everything. And being a new release and having the current tour being ONLY this release played in its entirety is a major letdown for a new fan who is dying to see them live.

I am really frustrated and disappointed and it has been a major reason why I have lost interest in music and turned to reading lately.

Should band threads be filled with nothing but endless praise?

Am I to disregard every discussion where two of my favourite albums, Presto and Vapor Trails, are ripped to shreds?

Am I to be upset that some fans hate my taste in music?

No. It adds to discussion. I would be annoyed if a non-DT fan joined in the discussion and just slated them over and over again just to be annoying, but I am a new fan, and one who REALLY loves several albums, and was pumped for this record.

Other older fans are disappointed as well. And this release is not something a fan can avoid, especially live.

No one here is trolling. Being negative and honest is no different to being positive and honest.

And as a new fan I find this thread a lot more helpful to talk about this than either Facebook or the DT forum.

• Like 1

Let it go already.

Disagree.

Being a fan does not mean I have to like everything. And being a new release and having the current tour being ONLY this release played in its entirety is a major letdown for a new fan who is dying to see them live.

I am really frustrated and disappointed and it has been a major reason why I have lost interest in music and turned to reading lately.

Am I to disregard every discussion where two of my favourite albums, Presto and Vapor Trails, are ripped to shreds?

No. It adds to discussion. I would be annoyed if a non-DT fan joined in the discussion and just slated them over and over again just to be annoying, but I am a new fan, and one who REALLY loves several albums, and was pumped for this record.

Other older fans are disappointed as well. And this release is not something a fan can avoid, especially live.

No one here is trolling. Being negative and honest is no different to being positive and honest.

And as a new fan I find this thread a lot more helpful to talk about this than either Facebook or the DT forum.

Problem is, you are not saying anything new. You are beating a dead horse. Some of us really like the album and as a fan who has seen DT 10 times I'm happy to hear a concert different from any other. It takes balls to do this. I applaud the effort and the work they accomplished.

• Like 1

Let it go already.

Disagree.

Problem is, you are not saying anything new. You are beating a dead horse. Some of us really like the album and as a fan who has seen DT 10 times I'm happy to hear a concert different from any other. It takes balls to do this. I applaud the effort and the work they accomplished.

I guess we should all collectively stop praising SFAM as well. I mean, what else is there to be said?

I never said I didn't praise their effort.

I also didn't realise it was a crime to share thoughts, express emotions on music, or discuss with like-minded individuals your disappointment.

• Like 1

Let it go already.

If he's a troll you're a tool.

• Like 1

My butt don't hurt but unlike you numskulls (Rod)I don't waste my time trolling repeatedly about something you don't like.You don'tlike it, move on to music you do. You will never find me in any thread meant for fans of the band saying how much I hate something they just did.

I see your point, and I´m sorry if I upset you, tick. At the same time, it´s easy to say "you don´t like it...move on and listen to other stuff you prefer". In general it should work that way, but it´s not the same with music. I´m a long fan just like you, and am still quite surprised at how much I dislike this album. It´s like having a girlfriend you love hurt you and you´re supposed to just "move along and find someone else to date". I was ready to embrace this album and immerse myself in it, gave it every chance it deserved, but I really feel like they´ve hit a wall with this one. And that´s not saying other people can´t enjoy it. I hope you have a blast at the shows you attend, I really do. And I will defend your right to praise The Astonishing, as much as I have the right to criticize it.

• Like 3

I see your point, and I´m sorry if I upset you, tick. At the same time, it´s easy to say "you don´t like it...move on and listen to other stuff you prefer". In general it should work that way, but it´s not the same with music. I´m a long fan just like you, and am still quite surprised at how much I dislike this album. It´s like having a girlfriend you love hurt you and you´re supposed to just "move along and find someone else to date". I was ready to embrace this album and immerse myself in it, gave it every chance it deserved, but I really feel like they´ve hit a wall with this one. And that´s not saying other people can´t enjoy it. I hope you have a blast at the shows you attend, I really do. And I will defend your right to praise The Astonishing, as much as I have the right to criticize it.

This.

Let it go already.

I'm a tool.

Let it go already.

I'm a tool.

I am sorry Tick to have got under your skin.

I just hope if we disagree in future on something I love, I embrace your thoughts better than you did mine. Disappointed to be honest. I will once again stick to mine and Mick's thread for any future DT discussion.

In an effort to not be 100% negative about the new album, I can agree that the following songs are not that bad. I made myself an EP with those:

1 - The Gift of Music;

2 - A Life Left Behind (aka Tempus Fugit part II);

3 - A New Beginning

4 - Moment of Betrayal

5 - The Path That Divides

6 - Our New World

• Like 2

Being a critical fan is important. It means you can be more appreciative when there is something that you do like, and this appreciation can be more honestly and confidently expressed.

I don't enjoy the bashing of albums I like, either, but I still think it's important to see where people are coming from. If the reasoning is unsound, just ignore it, because the ultimate decider of what music you like is you.

• Like 4

Being a critical fan is important. It means you can be more appreciative when there is something that you do like, and this appreciation can be more honestly and confidently expressed.

I don't enjoy the bashing of albums I like, either, but I still think it's important to see where people are coming from. If the reasoning is unsound, just ignore it, because the ultimate decider of what music you like is you.

good post

but it is indeed frustrating when you like something others don't.

bur i still respect it.........if not too overbearing in your view, lol

Mick

• Like 1