Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I know next to nothing about this band. What "first song" do you recommend?

"Pull Me Under"

That's the song that made me (and many others) a fan of theirs back when it came out in 1992. It's from the album Images & Words. That and Awake should be the only two albums you listen to. Don't bother going any farther than that.

agreed

Metropolis

I'm more of a "prog" head...so things like that and A Change of Seasons are among my favorite things....

As far as I'm concerned...my favorite album of theirs is Live at the Marquee...It has all you need to know....

i&w live in tokyo is the best thing they ever did! killer concert vid. if only it had metropolis and learning to live

Yeah, that IS a great video!! I agree it should have the rest of the show, but I guess it was originally released on tape and limited in it's time? It's a shame that way back everything had time constraints...Imagine if Rush never worried that they had to keep it to two album sides worth of stuff to release a live album!

• Like 1

Metropolis

I'm more of a "prog" head...so things like that and A Change of Seasons are among my favorite things....

As far as I'm concerned...my favorite album of theirs is Live at the Marquee...It has all you need to know....

i&w live in tokyo is the best thing they ever did! killer concert vid. if only it had metropolis and learning to live

Yeah, that IS a great video!! I agree it should have the rest of the show, but I guess it was originally released on tape and limited in it's time? It's a shame that way back everything had time constraints...Imagine if Rush never worried that they had to keep it to two album sides worth of stuff to release a live album!

they shoulda done a triple called RUSHSONGS

Metropolis

they shoulda done a triple called RUSHSONGS

You just have to hand ELP credit for not caring when they released "Welcome Back My Friends...." on three albums! That's still one of my favorite live sets!

• Like 1

"Pull Me Under"

That's the song that made me (and many others) a fan of theirs back when it came out in 1992. It's from the album Images & Words. That and Awake should be the only two albums you listen to. Don't bother going any farther than that.

agreed

No, no, those are great albums but don't stop there. Everything they've done has its merits.

Excellent albums start to finish, classics:

I&W

Awake

SFAM

6DOIT (extra impressive because it's a double album)

Great albums:

Train of Thought

Dream Theater (self-titled)

Octavarium (especially the title track)

Good albums with excellent examples provided:

A Change of Seasons (The song itself is classic, but the rest are all live covers)

Falling Into Infinity (Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, Lines in the Sand, New Millenium, Trial of Tears)

Systematic Chaos (In The Presence of Enemies parts 1 & 2 is reason enough to get this IMO, The Dark Eternal Night, Repetence)

Good albums with BUTs:

Black Clouds & Silver Linings (The Count of Tuscany BUT the lyrics are silly, A Nightmare to Remember BUT it runs about 3 minutes too long)

A Dramatic Turn of Events (Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions are classics BUT everybody complains how they ripped off I&W's song structures throughout this album)

Pre-Cheese:

When Day & Dream Unite

Edited by Del_Duio

I did this before but with DT i either love their stuff or hate it with 1 inbetween (Which you'll see, lol)

Albums i love

Images and Words (Though the production could be better)

Falling into Infinity (Underrated IMO)

Metropolis PT II

Six Degrees (Disc 2. I know 1 album......but who Cares, lol)

Octavarium (again......underrated)

A Dramatic Turn of Events

Dream Theater

Albums I hate

When Dream and day Unite

Six Degrees (disc 1)

Train of Thought

Systematic Chaos

Black Clouds.

And awake i go back and forth on. I love it right now, lol

Mick

wdadu - 3/5

i&w - 4.5/5

awake - 4.5/5

falling into infinity - 3/5

sfam - 4/5

sdoit - 3.5/5

train of thought - 2/5

octavarium - 2.5/5

systematic chaos - 2/5

black clouds - 3/5

dramatic turn - 2.5/5

DT - 2.5/5

When Dream And Day Unite - 3.5/5

Images & Words - 5/5

Awake - 5/5

Falling Into Infinity - 3/5

Scenes From A Memory - 5/5

Six Degrees - 5/5

Train Of Thought - 2.5/5

Octavarium - 2.5/5

Systematic Chaos - 2/5

Black Clouds - 3/5

Dramatic Turn - 4.5/5

Dream Theater - 4.5/5

They had a bit of a bad run there with TOT, Octavarium and Systematic. But even on one of their bad albums there are still a couple of good tracks worth listening to.

The toughest run - ToT, Octavarium, Sys Chaos - was compensated by the most diverse setlists on the planet. You basically went to the show without knowing what to expect!!!

That's both good and bad though. On one hand, it's very exciting because you don't know what they're going to play. On the other, you may get yourself hyped up to hear certain songs and if they don't do them you can leave the show disappointed. I also think it's helps the band to sound better when they have a similar set each night. They've sounded the best they have live in years over the course of the last two tours. Keeping the set the same is a big part of that. At least the band knows what they'll be playing every show and don't have to worry about Portnoy's random ass setlists.

I respect that Portnoy was trying to keep the show fresh for the band and the fans with those setlists. But the problem you have with changing the set every show is that sometimes you aren't gonna get a good one. I know I would be pissed if I got Forsaken and Sacrificed Sons at my show and then found out the show before got Metropolis and Voices instead.

• Like 1

Imo Systematic kicks ass. I dont know what the problem is.

Systematic Chaos is my favourite DT album. It's the perfect blend of dark and hard. I don't understand why so many people do not like it.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

In The Presence Of Enemies is a great tune actually. Too bad they used up all their songwriting goodness on that one song and didn't save much for the rest of the album. Constant Motion is a fun rocker to and a really good live song. I can listen to Repentance and Ministry Of Lost Souls if i'm in the right mood for them but it's a very rare that I am. Overall, the material on the album is largely forgettable.
  • Like 1

Systematic chaos has moments. but there's WAAAAY to much of portnoy poking his ass in with the growls and shit. DT Should never be death metal and it sucked.

Mick

I agree. Systematic Chaos has the song which in my opinion is THE worst DT song: The Dark Eternal Night. I can't stand the song, it is just so boring. The attitude of the song is like "Oh my god, we're rocking so hard it's f***ing unbeliveable" That song is in my opinion, pure garbage!

• Like 1

Systematic chaos has moments. but there's WAAAAY to much of portnoy poking his ass in with the growls and shit. DT Should never be death metal and it sucked.

Mick

I agree. Systematic Chaos has the song which in my opinion is THE worst DT song: The Dark Eternal Night. I can't stand the song, it is just so boring. The attitude of the song is like "Oh my god, we're rocking so hard it's f***ing unbeliveable" That song is in my opinion, pure garbage!

well that's portnoy influence. i know it seems like i pick on the guy.....but it's true. if you watch the making of SC. he was shoving this direction down their throats. James Labrie and John Myung both looked like they wanted to be anywhere but that studio.

"This is what DT NEEDS BRO!!!!!!"

Portnoy sucks.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

well that's portnoy influence. i know it seems like i pick on the guy.....but it's true. if you watch the making of SC. he was shoving this direction down their throats. James Labrie and John Myung both looked like they wanted to be anywhere but that studio.

"This is what DT NEEDS BRO!!!!!!"

Portnoy sucks.

Mick

Word! I think it is very good that they haven't continued writing songs a la Dark Eternal Night since A Dramtic turn of Events and instead returned to writing melodic prog metal, just like it should be. I hope they continue doing so on the new album which they are currently recording.

Edited by Hemispheres4Echo
  • Like 1

Mick

Pretty bad, but I thought Repentance was the worst... That same recycled riff only now mellow shmellow... And the featured vocalists... What a collective waste of talent, holy shit! Steven Wilson singing the opening line just makes me cringe... For a 10 minute song not a whole lot happens -- again, quantity > quality.

"Recycled riff!? It's part of a suite though, bro! haha, you don't get it, it's PROG, that's also why the song's LONG, sorry you're ADD you loser! I don't have time for haters like you in my life you stupid little f*cker!" - Mike "Douchebag" Portnoy

^ I think I prefer the kind of prog rock that aims for complex song structures with varied parts.

• Like 1