Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 25 2012, 04:07 PM)
^ understood

Check this out. Big Mangini Mess up?
http://youtu.be/83g5Hzth9qM?t=4m33s

That Mangini thing on your sig was a screwup, but that was when he was still new to the band. And we all make mistakes, don't we? Especially when new to a job, and the job is one of the most difficult ones on the planet?

That's the main reason I got out of metal drumming. It's not worth all the ligament pains, arthritis and sweat, when you could play the simple blues or rock n roll and people appreciate it more and you almost always get paid more...

FYI: Neily Peart has made many catastrophic failures in his drumming career (well documented trainwrecks on MITA's Rush Oddysey), but he's still one of the finest out there... wink.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 26 2012, 11:35 AM)
^ understood

That Mangini thing on your sig was a screwup, but that was when he was still new to the band. And we all make mistakes, don't we? Especially when new to a job, and the job is one of the most difficult ones on the planet?

That's the main reason I got out of metal drumming. It's not worth all the ligament pains, arthritis and sweat, when you could play the simple blues or rock n roll and people appreciate it more and you almost always get paid more...

FYI: Neily Peart has made many catastrophic failures in his drumming career (well documented trainwrecks on MITA's Rush Oddysey), but he's still one of the finest out there... wink.gif

Yeah, need to find a Portnoy trainwreck now though.

>but that was when he was still new to the band.

Actually, it looks like it was just three months back.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 26 2012, 09:46 PM)
^ understood

Not that Portnoy is perfect or didn't have trainwrecks but come to think of it I've never seen him do more than a slight hiccup. His execution is incredible. People like Danny Carey are considered better, more well rounded drummers, but Danny's live accuracy doesn't hold a candle to Portnoy's imho...

Alrighty then, BRING ON THE PORTNOY TRAINWRECKS! haha

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 27 2012, 05:52 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 26 2012, 09:46 PM)
^ understood

Not that Portnoy is perfect or didn't have trainwrecks but come to think of it I've never seen him do more than a slight hiccup. His execution is incredible. People like Danny Carey are considered better, more well rounded drummers, but Danny's live accuracy doesn't hold a candle to Portnoy's imho...

Alrighty then, BRING ON THE PORTNOY TRAINWRECKS! haha

Come to think of it, in my first DT show ever, in the FII tour, they messed up right at the start of A Change of Seasons. Portnoy got up from his drum kit and the band fixed it right away by following him. I only knew 2 or 3 songs by then, but seeing him fix that slight mistake at the beginning was awesome, and then my love for DT started.

This just in...I am still really digging the latest release. Who'd a thunk it!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 30 2012, 10:25 AM)
What the hell is "Don't Look Past Me" confused13.gif

It's an outtake from Images & Words. It was around before the album was recorded and it was replaced with Surrounded once that was written. Same situation with To Live Forever being replaced with Another Day.

It's a fantastic song. Back when they could fuse major chords with their prog metal side.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 27 2012, 10:22 AM)
Talking about messing up on stage got me to think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOMXdkiGGw4

z7shysterical.gif

James and John handled the situation very well.

Hats off to Jamesey!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Oct 10 2012, 02:48 AM)
Finally found a portnoy mistake. Off tempo quite a bit at around 2:30

http://youtu.be/n_dbsW-TPSE

Yeah... That's a hard one for the drummer to keep everyone in time but i see your point. I wonder if he was hungover or been drinkin? he didn't quit til around 2000-2001. I call that one a "gimme", from my perspective...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 10 2012, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Oct 10 2012, 02:48 AM)
Finally found a portnoy mistake. Off tempo quite a bit at around 2:30

http://youtu.be/n_dbsW-TPSE

Yeah... That's a hard one for the drummer to keep everyone in time but i see your point. I wonder if he was hungover or been drinkin? he didn't quit til around 2000-2001. I call that one a "gimme", from my perspective...

It's the closest thing I could find. I'm trying to redeem Mangini laugh.gif (from the vid I posted earlier.