Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Saw DT at the end of last summer in Boston's Bank of America Pavilion. Wasn't too excited about the openers, but DT was amazing. That was my second time seeing them. They played a lot of their heavier stuff, which I liked because I was in a real mood to rock out that night! 1022.gif

Then I saw them in May and I have to say I was disappointed. THREE opening acts, none of which were that great (Opeth changed from crazyscreamingdeathmetal to soft and slow at the drop of a hat in the middle of their songs...it was giving me motion sickness, like swiftly accelerating and then decelerating over and over in a car).

Then DT came on. This was at the Orpheum in Boston, BTW...not a place for a metal or rock band to play. The acoustics are all wrong. Anyway, the set was ludicrously short, and the mixing and acoustics made everything distorted.

Needless to say, my third experience with DT was not my favorite.

And out of three shows they STILL haven't played Home for me! fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 29 2008, 08:55 PM)
We just picked up the newly released,

Dream Theater Greatest Hit (singular ON PURPOSE!)
(. . . and 21 other pretty cool songs)

First of all - - CLEVER title!!!!

Secondly - - 2.gif is mentioned as one of the inspirations for the band's "epic side" notably in "Seasons, Metropolis, and Octavarium".

Mike Portnoy wrote a nifty and reflective essay explaining the reasoning behind this compilation.

He attributes DT's "Dark Side" (metallic) to Iron Maiden wub.gif , Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Metallica.

DT's "Light Side" (melodic) to U2, Pink Floyd, Journey ohmy.gif , and Peter Gabriel.

DT's "Epic Side, possibly the one for which we are best known and which has generated songs that are very progressive in nature, technically acrobatic, and very long," to Yes, 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif , and Genesis.

Ridiculous Note: This is a two-disc set. When we got home and opened it up - - ohmy.gif only one disc! Tortoise had to truck on back to Target for the exchange. While at the store - - and there were only two left on the shelves! - - another set was missing a disc. Thank goodness third time was the charm!

Hare biggrin.gif

Aha other DT best-of lovers!

One disc for a mood! cool.gif

Dream Theater just released Info on the Upcoming DVD chronilizing the "Chaos in Motion" tour

Here is the Press Release:

DREAM THEATER
Chaos In Motion 2007/2008
LIVE DVD SETS TO BE RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER

DOCUMENTING 2007-2008 WORLD TOUR

115 SHOWS, 105 CITIES, 35 COUNTRIES AND
HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF FANS

New York, NY: Few bands inspire such fanaticism among their fans as Dream Theater. The best way to satiate this dedicated legion is to provide them with even more material to devour and Dream Theater are doing just that this September. The band will release Chaos In Motion 2007/2008, which documents their "Chaos In Motion" world tour, which kicked off June 3, 2007 at the Monsters of Rock Festival in Milan, Italy and concluded almost a year to the day later on June 4, 2008 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It's essentially a travelogue of their most recent touring experience and it hits shelves on September 23. Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 will be available in two configurations: as a double DVD set and as five disc collector's set which includes two DVDs and three CDs, containing 14 live tracks featured in the DVD set and expanded artwork.

The Chaos in Motion Tour was a trek that found the band traversing the globe, playing 115 shows in 105 cities in 35 countries on five continents to hundreds of thousands of fans. It also included the first annual Progressive Nation Tour, an idea that the band had kicked around for a few years and finally launched into action this past spring.

Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 is the latest in a series of DVDs from the band and it features performances captured throughout the entirety of the tour, unlike their last three RIAA-certified Platinum DVDs, Metropolis 2000: Live Scenes From New York, Live at Budokan and Score, all of which focused on as single concert event.

Drummer and DVD creative director Mike Portnoy plumed his personal archives for footage in order to provide fans with the ultimate tour souvenir. He assembled over three hours of complete live performances, taking footage from shows in Rotterdam, Buenos Aires, Toronto, Boston, Bangkok and Vancouver. The tracks were mixed and effectively brought to life by Kevin Shirley. The second disc is packed with bonus material, including promo videos, live screen projection films, a photo gallery and a 90-minute documentary that'll make you feel like you're riding in the passenger's seat of the band's tour bus, as it takes you on the road and behind the scenes with the band and crew. It's like a virtual backstage pass that grants fans further unprecedented access.

The official content and tracklisting for the DVD are as follows and are subject to change:

Double DVD Set

Disc One:

"Around The World In 180 Minutes" Live Concert Footage

1. Intro/Also Sprach Zarathustra
2. Constant Motion
3. Panic Attack
4. Blind Faith
5. Surrounded
6. The Dark Eternal Night
7. Keyboard Solo
8. Lines In The Sand
9. Scarred
10. Forsaken
11. The Ministry Of Lost Souls
12. Take The Time
13. In The Presence Of Enemies
14. Medley: I. Trial Of Tears II. Finally Free III. Learning To Live IV. In The Name Of God V. Octavarium
Disc Two:

"Behind The Chaos On The Road" Documentary

Promo Videos: Constant Motion, Forsaken, Forsaken (In Studio), The Dark Eternal Night (In Studio)

Live Screen Projection Films: The Dark Eternal Night (N.A.D.S), The Ministry Of Lost Souls, In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 2

"Mike Portnoy Stage Tour"

"Mike Portnoy Backstage Tour"

Photo Gallery

Deluxe Collector's Edition 5-Disc Set

Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 Double DVD Set PLUS:

3 CD's containing the live 14 tracks featured in the DVD set
Expanded artwork and more
Indeed, Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 is a completist piece that will keep Dream Theater diehards satisfied until the band takes to the road again.

Seems like a good DT dvd. Looks like I'll be springing for the 5 disc set as well

^^

Blind Faith is my fav DT song. Great to finally get an official live version of this. 1022.gif 653.gif smile.gif Scarred is a cool choice too.

They finally made it to Australia on this tour. Didn't play either of those two songs in the show I saw in Brisbane but As I Am & Fatal Tragedy made up for that. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah, it'll probably be the 5 discs for me too.

QUOTE (Shifty @ Jul 12 2008, 06:53 AM)
^^
Blind Faith is my fav DT song. Great to finally get an official live version of this. 1022.gif 653.gif smile.gif Scarred is a cool choice too.

They finally made it to Australia on this tour. Didn't play either of those two songs in the show I saw in Brisbane but As I Am & Fatal Tragedy made up for that. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah, it'll probably be the 5 discs for me too.

"Blind Faith" was my favorite song of the set when I saw them on this tour..."Surrounded" was #2.

Personally I like DT.My only complaint is Labrie's vocals(I'm sorry )I think John Petrucci is probably the most technically proficient rock guitarist on the scene today.The band, like Rush are all virtuosos.I love their instrumentals.

QUOTE (rdwsr1964 @ Jul 12 2008, 08:15 AM)
Personally I like DT.My only complaint is Labrie's vocals(I'm sorry )I think John Petrucci is probably the most technically proficient rock guitarist on the scene today.The band, like Rush are all virtuosos.I love their instrumentals.

Yes, LaBrie's vocals are a bit cheesy (sorry), he's a good studio vocalist, but live very hit amd miss, or so it seems, because I'm yet to see them live and can only rely on live recordings.

im getting it the day it comes out, 5 disc's and all trink39.gif

QUOTE (gotbass1228 @ Jul 23 2008, 12:55 AM)
Anybody care for Lifting Shadows Off A Dream - Awake?

Love "Awake." All that stuff is great to hear live too. "Caught in a Web" may be my favorite, but I'll listen tonight and make sure. "Awake" and "Images and Words" are the first things I offer people who want to try DT.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jul 23 2008, 06:10 PM)

Love "Awake." All that stuff is great to hear live too. "Caught in a Web" may be my favorite, but I'll listen tonight and make sure. "Awake" and "Images and Words" are the first things I offer people who want to try DT.

I just found my awake disc. It's in my bedroom cd player right now. I remember going out on my lunch hour to get that disc at the nearest record shop. Then seeing them in concert for that tour noticing that Kevin Moore was gone. Boy has the internet made those days obsolete, huh??? b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 24 2008, 06:20 AM)

I just found my awake disc. It's in my bedroom cd player right now. I remember going out on my lunch hour to get that disc at the nearest record shop. Then seeing them in concert for that tour noticing that Kevin Moore was gone. Boy has the internet made those days obsolete, huh??? b_sigh.gif

Yeah, the 'net takes a lot of the guess-work out of things. Kevin apparently was asked to make an appearance at the "Score" taping and declined. He and Mike work together on the OSI stuff, so it can't be that he hates him or anything. I prefer Jordan, though some insist the band died when KM left. People also love "Space Dye Vest." It's a good song, but I don't consider it their best. How about you guys?

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jul 24 2008, 11:30 AM)

Yeah, the 'net takes a lot of the guess-work out of things. Kevin apparently was asked to make an appearance at the "Score" taping and declined. He and Mike work together on the OSI stuff, so it can't be that he hates him or anything. I prefer Jordan, though some insist the band died when KM left. People also love "Space Dye Vest." It's a good song, but I don't consider it their best. How about you guys?

Jordan is the man ! I prefer Rudess to Moore or Sherinian. Watching Jordan Rudess play the opening to Octavarium live was mind blowing. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 25 2008, 11:57 AM)

Jordan is the man ! I prefer Rudess to Moore or Sherinian. Watching Jordan Rudess play the opening to Octavarium live was mind blowing. yes.gif

hell yeah! with the: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_%28instrument%29

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Continuum-Side-view.jpg/420px-Continuum-Side-view.jpg

AMAZING!!!!

goodpost.gif

I did like KM on the first tour though. He was awesome. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 25 2008, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 25 2008, 11:57 AM)

hell yeah! with the: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_%28instrument%29

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Continuum-Side-view.jpg/420px-Continuum-Side-view.jpg

AMAZING!!!!

goodpost.gif

I did like KM on the first tour though. He was awesome. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I thing Rudess was the best thing that Happened to Dream Theater. He is so f***ing talented at the keys. His solo shit is amazing as well.

rudess is the f-n man trink39.gif

Yeah, it's not fair imho to compare jordan to Kevin or Derick, or any other keyboard player for that matter. He's in a class all his own. Fricken amazing, Just think: If Jordan would have been the original keyboardist, then James Labrie would be Kevin Labrie. (they didn't let him keep his name [real first name is kevin] since there was already a kevin and two johns)

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 28 2008, 09:12 AM)
Yeah, it's not fair imho to compare jordan to Kevin or Derick, or any other keyboard player for that matter. He's in a class all his own. Fricken amazing, Just think: If Jordan would have been the original keyboardist, then James Labrie would be Kevin Labrie. (they didn't let him keep his name [real first name is kevin] since there was already a kevin and two johns)
rofl3.gif

I can't say whose best. I will say the Derek Sherinians solo discs are far superior to anything he did with DT. Then again I & W is my fave. Jordan is amazing too.

You gotta have chops to play for DT. It is known that DT wanted JR instead of DS after Moore left but he did not join then.

LTE= 1022.gif

and if you like LTE chances are good you would like sherinians solo discs.

LTE kick's ass

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 28 2008, 09:24 AM)
LTE kick's ass

Yes they Do.

I only have the first album however, I need to get the others as well.

LTE is in a big part what brought Rudess over to DT

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 28 2008, 11:24 PM)
LTE kick's ass

Yes they Do.

I have all the two...not the L3E or whatever they called it. They rock...I completely agree. I would have went to the Chicago show but I had tickets to see Rush in Indy. It was too late when the show was changed...and that was the night they did all the improv stuff.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 29 2008, 12:24 AM)
LTE kick's ass

Yes they Do.

His arrival seems to coincide with my departure from liking this band. I don't care for BaldyRud at all. Well at least what he's done to DT. I'll take Kevin or Derek any day over Rudess. Moore was the best though.

there's no doubt that rudess is some kind of keyboard god, and i bet he is good at video games too...

but, i preffer every piece of keboard work on awak to anything rudess has done. i like what rudess does but im not a fan of blazing guitar solos at the best of times, so all the DT songs with like 5 guitar solos and keyboard solos just make me go..uh-huh. i appreciate the talent. but the keys bit in caught in a web is so cool. and space dye vest! has anyone heard Eve? it's on the awake bonus disc and it is AMAZING, and i think.. wow has kevin moore done anything in another band? i would listen.