Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 4 2008, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Dec 26 2007, 04:41 PM)
Does anyone like Systematic Chaos?

It f***ing kicks ass. Just as solid as Awake (my favourite) and nearly as classic.

I like it now too after not being impressed with the mp3s

1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 3 2008, 12:38 PM)
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/upfiles.aspx/0/asppg_Ik900749201.jpg
Portnoy as a child. laugh.gif
Mike posted this picture on his site.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/MP--Ramones-81.jpg

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 4 2008, 04:13 PM)
Okay since we had it out about Kevin Moore, what's anyone's opinion on Derek Sherinian?

I like a lot what he did with the band.

You can really feel his presence on Once in a LIVEtime, I think he braught a fresh attitude to the band.

Much better than Moore IMO

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Jan 4 2008, 11:03 AM)
Okay since we had it out about Kevin Moore, what's anyone's opinion on Derek Sherinian?

You can really feel his presence on Once in a LIVEtime, I think he braught a fresh attitude to the band.

Dereks solo discs absolutley kick ass. I liked his work in DT too. I met him briefly here in Asheville when he was touring with Yngwie. In fact he was the only reason I went to the show.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 4 2008, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (Sonilink @ Jan 4 2008, 11:03 AM)

Dereks solo discs absolutley kick ass. I liked his work in DT too. I met him briefly here in Asheville when he was touring with Yngwie. In fact he was the only reason I went to the show.

http://www.museresearch.com/i/wts/live/derek_sherinian.png

Derek Kicks @ss!! I guess his roommate was Eric Singer in Hollywood. They both play/played for Kiss. What a way to pad up your resume as a musician, huh?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 4 2008, 06:17 PM)
I think Derek's work with DT is really good, "A change of seasons" proves that much, but getting rid of Derek for Rudess was the smartest move Dream Theater's ever made.

A Change Of Seasons was supposed to be on the Images & Words disc, that is why Sherinian shines on this. It would have fitted superbly and it is a shame that they didnt record it while Kevin Moore was in the band. Sherinian and Rudess are better technicians but they cant compete with the emotional playings from Moore.

There is a live recording of this song featuring Kevin Moore. Anyone heard it? I think it outshines the studiorecording.

Sherinian/Rudess=IQ

Moore=EQ

IMO

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 5 2008, 09:09 AM)
I think Derek's work with DT is really good, "A change of seasons" proves that much, but getting rid of Derek for Rudess was the smartest move Dream Theater's ever made.

A Change Of Seasons was supposed to be on the Images & Words disc, that is why Sherinian shines on this. It would have fitted superbly and it is a shame that they didnt record it while Kevin Moore was in the band. Sherinian and Rudess are better technicians but they cant compete with the emotional playings from Moore.

There is a live recording of this song featuring Kevin Moore. Anyone heard it? I think it outshines the studiorecording.

Sherinian/Rudess=IQ

Moore=EQ

IMO

I haven't heard the live recording with Moore so I can't say but yeah I agree with everything else you said.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 5 2008, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 5 2008, 09:09 AM)

Sherinian/Rudess=IQ

Moore=EQ

IMO

I haven't heard the live recording with Moore so I can't say but yeah I agree with everything else you said.

I love Rudess, and like I said, getting him into the band was the smartest thing Dream Theater has ever done IMO. Rudess reminds me so much of Rick Wakeman in his technique and approach to playing.

Just listen to the solo at the beginning of "Solitary Shell" and call me a liar.

Changing the Subject here I just read that Dream Theater is going to be putting out their very first Compelation Record

"Greatest Hits and 19 Other Pretty Cool Songs"

As I already have all the albums, I probably won't be getting this. But I am anxious to see what the artwork could be (Espically is Hugh Syme is going to be designing the cover), and what could also be on the CD track wise.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 4 2008, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Dec 26 2007, 04:41 PM)
Does anyone like Systematic Chaos?

It f***ing kicks ass. Just as solid as Awake (my favourite) and nearly as classic.

Awake is now my favorite also. That album flows so great as a whole. It could have done without Lifting Shadows Off A Dream.

QUOTE (Larks @ Jan 7 2008, 03:35 PM)
thats bad news.. they dont need greatest hits cd.. just not a band for those kind of stupid cds,

You and I view compelation records very diffrently biggrin.gif

A compelation to me is a tool for introducing someone into a band, and hopefully the first CD of many.

True, some will buy a compelation and never buy another record, but still thats 1 more DT record sold, to someone who would have never tried out any of the Studio Albums in the first place.

But usually with me, I don't buy many compelation records....I tend to introduce myself into a band by buying the latest LIVE album. For example the first DT album I ever got was "Score"....and I was blown the f**k away.....needless to say I have all the DT albums now.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 8 2008, 05:16 AM)
thats bad news.. they dont need greatest hits cd.. just not a band for those kind of stupid cds,

A compelation to me is a tool for introducing someone into a band, and hopefully the first CD of many.

True, some will buy a compelation and never buy another record, but still thats 1 more DT record sold, to someone who would have never tried out any of the Studio Albums in the first place.

But usually with me, I don't buy many compelation records....I tend to introduce myself into a band by buying the latest LIVE album. For example the first DT album I ever got was "Score"....and I was blown the f**k away.....needless to say I have all the DT albums now.

Mmm... From experience Greatest Hits are never a good introduction to the band. Imagine the shock of buying a Dream Theater Greatest Hits to hear 4 minute songs with a chorus after every verse and then deciding you like it enough to buy a proper album, picking up S.D.O.I.T. and thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?"

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 8 2008, 05:02 AM)

Mmm... From experience Greatest Hits are never a good introduction to the band. Imagine the shock of buying a Dream Theater Greatest Hits to hear 4 minute songs with a chorus after every verse and then deciding you like it enough to buy a proper album, picking up S.D.O.I.T. and thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?"

I guess it depends on how the put the compelation together. If they go with the "Pink Floyd: Echoes" approach, and actually take the time to work on a compleation, you know blend in the songs so it sounds like they were on the origional album in the first place....then a DT compelation might work.

But yes I agree, throwing abunch of random DT songs on a record will not cut it. For "Greatest Hits, and 19 other cool songs" to work it will have to go through a level of production that "PF:Echoes" went through

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 8 2008, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 8 2008, 05:02 AM)

I guess it depends on how the put the compelation together. If they go with the "Pink Floyd: Echoes" approach, and actually take the time to work on a compleation, you know blend in the songs so it sounds like they were on the origional album in the first place....then a DT compelation might work.

But yes I agree, throwing abunch of random DT songs on a record will not cut it. For "Greatest Hits, and 19 other cool songs" to work it will have to go through a level of production that "PF:Echoes" went through

I have Echoes. One of the few Greatest Hits packages that offers nothing new that I do own. Obviously they were careful not to over-include material from the obvious album D.S.O.T.M. like you said it's obvious some effort went into this and it spans their entire career much better than some Best Ofs/Greatest Hits I can think of.

I just bought "Live at Boudokan", and finished listening to it.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif It rocks 1022.gif 1022.gif

That is one thing I like about Dream Theater, in regards to live albums.

Each is unique

Live at the Marquee is completly diffrent from

"Once in a Live Time" diffrent from

"Scenes Live In New York" from

"Boudokan" from

"Score"

So far my faviorate live album is "Score". But I admit I still have to get "Once in a live time" and "Live at the Marquee"

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 24 2008, 09:05 AM)
I just bought "Live at Boudokan", and finished listening to it.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif It rocks 1022.gif 1022.gif

That is one thing I like about Dream Theater, in regards to live albums.

Each is unique

Live at the Marquee is completly diffrent from
"Once in a Live Time" diffrent from
"Scenes Live In New York" from
"Boudokan" from
"Score"

So far my faviorate live album is "Score". But I admit I still have to get "Once in a live time" and "Live at the Marquee"

Budokan is my favorite of the live albums. The DVD is also just mind-blowing. I pulled it back out the other day and have been on a HUGE DT kick the past week or so.

1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Stickman @ Jan 28 2008, 04:30 AM)
Can't wait for the greatest hits compo i hope we get it here in the UK.

That's cool, get the compelation....then move on and start buying the albums as well.