Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 29 2008, 03:28 PM)
OK, OK. You're right...
I think it's actually a nice option. I'm sure I'll still go to the concert, but some of these costs just seem criminal.

Yeah i hear ya but remember, the industry is out to f**k them, its up to them to find ways to exist. Now if they wanted to charge you 300 bucks just to see them, i could see you saying go screw yourself. trink39.gif

Dream Theater's Greatest Hit (...And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs) compelation is out today.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Greatest_hit_big.jpg

Since I already have all the studio albums, I won't be picking this up. But after looking at the tracklist selected it seems that this would be something I would reccomend to someone trying to get into DT.

I like how it is organized (One disc for the heavy material, and one for the softer/more progressive material)

For those who buy this compelation, let me know how the remixes, and edits are......

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 25 2008, 01:50 AM)
Dream Theater's Official Bootleg lable......Ytse Jam Records......has just released a new DVD/CD available on their web site. It was recorded in 2004 and was a live preformance where DT played all of theire Debeut Album, commerating it's then 15th anniversary, along with a 2 song encore with former DT members such as keyboardist Derek Sherinian, and origional vocalist Charlie Dominici

DVD
15th anniversary "When Dream and Day reunite" Live

CD
15th anniversary "When Dream And Day reunite" Live

Here is a track list and a list of bounus features....

When Dream And Day Reunite DVD
Our Products: Live Series 

SKU: YTSEJAMDVD001
The entire legendary performance of WDADU and the encore from the March 6th 2004 show in Los Angeles, as well as an Audio Commentary by Dream Theater, rehearsal and soundcheck footage and a 70 minute documentary on the original WDADU told through live footage and interviews with the band circa 1988/1989.

A Fortune In Lies
Status Seeker
Ytse Jam
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse And Get Away
Afterlife
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Only A Matter Of Time
To Live Forever (W/ Sherinian and Dominici)
Metropolis (W Sherinian and Dominici)

Bonus Features
Audio Commentary by Dream Theater
WDADU Rehearsal and Sound Check Footage
"I Can Remember When..."
A 70 minute documentary from the Portnoy Archives looking back at the original WDADU album. A song by song recount told through live footage and interviews with the band circa 1988/1989

Dream Theater's official site has a prieview available for the DVD on the player available on their main page

http://www.dreamtheater.net/

I was at that show in LA, awesome yes.gif

god, i wish 2.gif did thing's like this

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 1 2008, 11:51 AM)
Dream Theater's Greatest Hit (...And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs) compelation is out today.

Since I already have all the studio albums, I won't be picking this up. But after looking at the tracklist selected it seems that this would be something I would reccomend to someone trying to get into DT.

I like how it is organized (One disc for the heavy material, and one for the softer/more progressive material)

For those who buy this compelation, let me know how the remixes, and edits are......

The three remixed tracks, the single of "home", and the alternate "Through her Eyes" are all awesome!

But the rest doesn't even sound remastered; so I just bough the five afformentioned tracks off of Zune Marketplace, and called it even.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Apr 2 2008, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 1 2008, 11:51 AM)

Since I already have all the studio albums, I won't be picking this up.  But after looking at the tracklist selected it seems that this would be something I would reccomend to someone trying to get into DT. 

The three remixed tracks, the single of "home", and the alternate "Through her Eyes" are all awesome!

But the rest doesn't even sound remastered; so I just bough the five afformentioned tracks off of Zune Marketplace, and called it even.

That's probably a good Idea, I use iTunes, but it's there as well. Only they make you buy the whole album to get the long songs...which really sucks.

EDIT TO ADD:

"The Item You requested is not available in the U.S Store" That's the message iTunes is giving me!!. I think I might just go ahead and by this CD in full. If you look at all the remixes and the non-album tracks I'll be spending paying half the cost of the CD, so might as well go ahead and get the whole thing.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 1 2008, 12:51 PM)

That was such a horrible compilation.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 4 2008, 08:37 PM)

Since I already have all the studio albums, I won't be picking this up.  But after looking at the tracklist selected it seems that this would be something I would reccomend to someone trying to get into DT. 

Really? I like it a lot, all of my favorite "heavy" songs are on the Dark Side and the remixed tracks sound even better.

But I could live without it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 4 2008, 02:37 PM)

goodpost.gif

I for one like the compilation, while I think you can't "compile" any DT songs (you need at least a couple long songs there lol (ACOS!)) But the reason I liked it was I thought the remixed versions of the Images and Words stuff sounded fresher, and I really enjoyed finally hearing some of those edits and stuff that i've actually been wanting to hear surprisingly. The Home edit is too short for me, kinda starts way to abruptly, but I love the Root of All Evil edit, as it just kicks off after the intro into the main riff. Will be great to hear it coming out of This Dying Soul 1022.gif

if you have xm radio, mike portnoy is live right now on boneyard. trink39.gif Edited by metaldad

It is possible that a Dream Theater Track might be included in the next Guitar Hero game (Guitar Hero World Tour). One of the game's deveolpers mentioned that he "wanted" some DT in the game.

Source is from the most recent issue of Gameinformer magazine, sorry I cannot provide an internet source.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jun 5 2008, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 7 2008, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 7 2008, 08:03 PM)
a little bit of info on upcoming DVD:

http://mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1997597

I personally don't like the 5YiaL approach, I would rather just have a full concert.

Great News!!!

goodpost.gif

I'm PUMPED for a new DT DVD! 1022.gif

Starting to be a little like Rush....a DVD with every tour.... (not including the official bootleg dvds)

But it's a good thing

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 8 2008, 01:52 AM)
QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jun 5 2008, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 7 2008, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 7 2008, 08:03 PM)
a little bit of info on upcoming DVD:

http://mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1997597

I personally don't like the 5YiaL approach, I would rather just have a full concert.

Great News!!!

goodpost.gif

I'm PUMPED for a new DT DVD! 1022.gif

Starting to be a little like Rush....a DVD with every tour.... (not including the official bootleg dvds)

But it's a good thing

if only 2.gif would do the official bootleg's 1022.gif

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 13 2008, 12:31 AM)
I LOVE Dream Theater! I'm going to try and avoid talking them up because my bias is far to great...but I had to get that out there. I feel better now.

By all means, go for it. I'm gonna get a kick out of all the people rushing in here to try debunk your points and telling you you have no taste in music for liking DT. smile.gif

Oh and for the record: my views on DT have done a complete 180 degree turn since I first posted in this thread...