Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

bump............for all the hater's biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jun 13 2008, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 13 2008, 09:37 PM)
bump............for all the hater's biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

I listened to A Change of Seasons for the first time in probably 5 or 6 months today. Somehow, I forgot how much ass it kicked.

I do have to say I liked the Live version on SLFNY better than the studio. Jordan Rudess brought so much to the song live.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2008, 10:51 AM)
Is there really a DVD coming out or is it a hoax? You would think there would be an announcement at dreamtheater.net wouldn't you?
hmmm confused13.gif

When you gonna take that mask off? I demand you reveal your face!! What have you got to hide matey?????????????

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

I've got some of the "bootleg" DVD's and CD's from Mike's vault and they are damn good quality for calling them "boolegs". The local bands I've played in can maybe afford like one song of that type of quality and that's about it. a 3-camera crew isn't too expensive, but you add the top-shelf audio engineers, the multitrack recording rig, $20K worth of microphones, the mixing, editing, post-production work. That's what gets ya in the pocketbook. Portnoy was smart from the beginning and recorded almost every show they ever did on at least Digital Audio Tape. That way he not only can measure their progress but he can put out a CD and we would buy it. Oh, they've got a new 1993 State Theater Detroit with Kevin Moore CD? Sweet. I'll take it!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 14 2008, 10:59 AM)
Is there really a DVD coming out or is it a hoax? You would think there would be an announcement at dreamtheater.net wouldn't you?
hmmm  confused13.gif

When you gonna take that mask off? I demand you reveal your face!! What have you got to hide matey?????????????

Huh Treeduck? Whenever I put my real face up no one recognizes me. I'm ugly as hell too. I've got a lot to hide, chief!!

OK, here ya go. The secret's out. Here's a recent pic of me:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/fb.jpg

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2008, 11:08 AM)
hmmm  confused13.gif

Huh Treeduck? Whenever I put my real face up no one recognizes me. I'm ugly as hell too. I've got a lot to hide, chief!!

OK, here ya go. The secret's out. Here's a recent pic of me:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/fb.jpg

laugh.gif

Greedy guts!!

wink.gif

hmmm  confused13.gif

OK, Treeduck, you asked for it. You'd better not say what dicko said on next great american band about taking my mask off, either! biggrin.gif

Yeah, after our audition he made us take off the masks then said "maybe it would be better to keep them on" rofl3.gif haha hooo hooo!

Here's me backstage with some female fans of my former band SimplySick:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/simplysick12_16_06001.jpg

Here's me and Big Al hangin out on the patio last Summer:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/kenwithrush-1.jpg

OK, here's me in my parents basement (1983, 15yo) too stoned to play:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/1983-1.jpg

1981-2007:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/l_489a98e9c63437682176f3c1d81df790.jpg

Here's me on my Zendrum in my favorite chair:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/l_9d585db804678de4dadcd95081fb3366.jpg

Watch out what you ask for, dude! Are you

062802puke_prv.gif yet? lmao

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2008, 11:20 AM)
hmmm  confused13.gif

OK, Treeduck, you asked for it. You'd better not say what dicko said on next great american band about taking my mask off, either! biggrin.gif

Yeah, after our audition he made us take off the masks then said "maybe it would be better to keep them on" rofl3.gif haha hooo hooo!

Here's me backstage with some female fans of my former band SimplySick:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/simplysick12_16_06001.jpg

Here's me and Big Al hangin out on the patio last Summer:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/kenwithrush-1.jpg

OK, here's me in my parents basement (1983, 15yo) too stoned to play:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/1983-1.jpg

1981-2007:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/l_489a98e9c63437682176f3c1d81df790.jpg

Here's me on my Zendrum in my favorite chair:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/l_9d585db804678de4dadcd95081fb3366.jpg

Watch out what you ask for, dude! Are you

062802puke_prv.gif yet? lmao

Well the girls seem to like you!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2008, 12:05 PM)
"Girls like me"? That's cuz I've got sweet skills, TD. Haven't you heard? Chicks dig guys with skills!

rofl3.gif

I'm totally skill-less so I wouldn't know...

wacko.gif

biggrin.gif

hmmm confused13.gif

Definitely. I've heard Mike talk about it a few times. It won't be a "show," but many shows from the tour...like 5 Years in a Livetime. He had planned on doing an "in-store" thing with Mikael Akerfeldt, but it didn't happen. He said he wanted to use it on the dvd. If you want the latest news...go to mikeportnoy.com forums. He does everything there first.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 15 2008, 06:20 PM)
hmmm  confused13.gif

Definitely. I've heard Mike talk about it a few times. It won't be a "show," but many shows from the tour...like 5 Years in a Livetime. He had planned on doing an "in-store" thing with Mikael Akerfeldt, but it didn't happen. He said he wanted to use it on the dvd. If you want the latest news...go to mikeportnoy.com forums. He does everything there first.

That's great news! I like the complete concerts, but the 5YIAL concept with all those kewl little snippets and cameos of other bands, musicians, is great, too. Looking fwd to it!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 16 2008, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 15 2008, 06:20 PM)
hmmm  confused13.gif

That's great news! I like the complete concerts, but the 5YIAL concept with all those kewl little snippets and cameos of other bands, musicians, is great, too. Looking fwd to it!!! 1022.gif

They were definitely filming the Vancouver show on May 6th smile.gif

Oh yeah...it'll be great. I saw them twice on the tour and they were at the top of their collective game. I flew from here (Indiana) to see them record "Score" in New York (RCMH), and I think they were as good or better on this tour. I look forward to a version of "Surrounded" from this year, because it was real, real good in Chicago. Also "Blind Faith."

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 18 2008, 12:00 AM)
Oh yeah...it'll be great. I saw them twice on the tour and they were at the top of their collective game. I flew from here (Indiana) to see them record "Score" in New York (RCMH), and I think they were as good or better on this tour. I look forward to a version of "Surrounded" from this year, because it was real, real good in Chicago. Also "Blind Faith."

I don't think anything beats surrounded live from 1992-1993 with Kevin Moore. That was awesome! They played it every single time they came around back then! (actually whole images and words album).

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 18 2008, 07:00 AM)
Oh yeah...it'll be great.  I saw them twice on the tour and they were at the top of their collective game.  I flew from here (Indiana) to see them record "Score" in New York (RCMH), and I think they were as good or better on this tour.  I look forward to a version of "Surrounded" from this year, because it was real, real good in Chicago.  Also "Blind Faith."

I don't think anything beats surrounded live from 1992-1993 with Kevin Moore. That was awesome! They played it every single time they came around back then! (actually whole images and words album).

On the lists they actually called it "Surrounded'07," so it's a little revamped. I also really dig the Kevin Moore era. The difference live is definitely James' vocals. He's improved drastically.

I read that things got a little interesting during the Chicago LTE gig last night.

Apparently Jordans kyeboards completely crapped out and alot of the show was completely improvised and a version of Nightmare Cinema emerged. Apparently the guy from Anthrax played the drums, portnoy played bass and Jordan was playing guitars!

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m...25&mpage=1&key=

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 19 2008, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 18 2008, 07:00 AM)
Oh yeah...it'll be great.  I saw them twice on the tour and they were at the top of their collective game.  I flew from here (Indiana) to see them record "Score" in New York (RCMH), and I think they were as good or better on this tour.  I look forward to a version of "Surrounded" from this year, because it was real, real good in Chicago.  Also "Blind Faith."

On the lists they actually called it "Surrounded'07," so it's a little revamped. I also really dig the Kevin Moore era. The difference live is definitely James' vocals. He's improved drastically.

SO true. James, back in the day, was hit or miss. On a bad night it was torture, but a good night was awesome. No middle of the road. He has definitely spent lots of time studying his craft and doing exercises to improve. He's much more consistent these days.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 27 2008, 12:47 AM)
For those who think LaBrie cannot sing. I just have 3 words for you.

True Symphonic Rockestra

Oh...he's great. But for a while he was not good. I believe he had an illness that effected his vocals...and they almost replaced him! It's in that book "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream."

I wasn't at the Chicago LTE show (because I was supposed to be in Indy seeing someone)...then I have the Marcus show tonight...but I heard it was wild. There's youtube footage of the improv jams. I hear Jordan Rudess SHREDS on the guitar, and Charlie Benante came from the crowd and jammed with Portnoy on bass. That'll teach me...I never miss a Portnoy appearance until the 25th!

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 27 2008, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 27 2008, 12:47 AM)
For those who think LaBrie cannot sing.  I just have 3 words for you.

True Symphonic Rockestra

Oh...he's great. But for a while he was not good. I believe he had an illness that effected his vocals...and they almost replaced him! It's in that book "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream."

I wasn't at the Chicago LTE show (because I was supposed to be in Indy seeing someone)...then I have the Marcus show tonight...but I heard it was wild. There's youtube footage of the improv jams. I hear Jordan Rudess SHREDS on the guitar, and Charlie Benante came from the crowd and jammed with Portnoy on bass. That'll teach me...I never miss a Portnoy appearance until the 25th!

Wow, there is all sorts of footage up on youtube. Sound is poor for most of them though. Still, what a jam.

LTE3!

We just picked up the newly released,

Dream Theater Greatest Hit (singular ON PURPOSE!)

(. . . and 21 other pretty cool songs)

First of all - - CLEVER title!!!!

Secondly - - 2.gif is mentioned as one of the inspirations for the band's "epic side" notably in "Seasons, Metropolis, and Octavarium".

Mike Portnoy wrote a nifty and reflective essay explaining the reasoning behind this compilation.

He attributes DT's "Dark Side" (metallic) to Iron Maiden wub.gif , Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Metallica.

DT's "Light Side" (melodic) to U2, Pink Floyd, Journey ohmy.gif , and Peter Gabriel.

DT's "Epic Side, possibly the one for which we are best known and which has generated songs that are very progressive in nature, technically acrobatic, and very long," to Yes, 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif , and Genesis.

Ridiculous Note: This is a two-disc set. When we got home and opened it up - - ohmy.gif only one disc! Tortoise had to truck on back to Target for the exchange. While at the store - - and there were only two left on the shelves! - - another set was missing a disc. Thank goodness third time was the charm!

Hare biggrin.gif

Edited by Tortoise and Hare