Old Bands with Great Late Releases

A-ha since forever have only ever released killer pop albums

To name some bands, groups, and artists, who were around, have been around, and continue to be active including releasing enjoyable, new music, and the names of their new c.ds, and albums are:

Rush - Clockwork Angels, and Vapor Trails (Remixed)

U2 - Songs of Surrender (Super deluxe version), Songs of Experience (Deluxe edition), and Songs of Innocence (Deluxe edition)

Judas Priest - Invincible Shield (Deluxe edition), Firepower, Redeemer of Souls (Deluxe edition), Nostradamus, and Angel of Retribution

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu, the Book of Souls, the Final Frontier, A Matter of Life and Death, Dance of Death, and Brave New World

Scorpions - Rock Believer (Deluxe edition), Return to Forever (Deluxe edition), Sting In the Tail (Premium edition), Humanity: Hour I (Limited edition), and Unbreakable

Def Leppard - Drastic Symphonies (Blu-ray Audio, and digital editions), Diamond Star Halos (Deluxe edition), and Def Leppard

Metallica - 72 Seasons, Hardwired... to Self-Destruct, Beyond Magnetic, and Death Magnetic

the Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds

Cheap Trick - In Another World

Pink Floyd - the Endless River, and the Division Bell

Peter Gabriel - I/O (Bright-Side, the Dark-Side, and In-Side Mixes)

Bruce Springsteen (and including with the E Street Band) - Only the Strong Survive, Letter to You, Western Stars, High Hopes, Wrecking Ball, Working On A Dream, Magic, and We Shall Overcome: the Seeger Sessions

Tom Petty (and including with the Heartbreakers) - Hypnotic Eye, Mojo (Extra Mojo version), and Highway Companion (Special edition)

David Bowie - Toy:Box, No Plan, Blackstar, and the Next Day (Deluxe edition, and Extra)

Paul McCartney - McCartney III, Egypt Station, New, and Kisses On the Bottom 

Elton John - the Lockdown Sessions, Regimental Sgt. Zippo, Wonderful Crazy Night, and the Diving Board

Kim Mitchell - the Big Fantasize, and Ain't Life Amazing

Tom Cochrane - Take It Home, and No Stranger

Lee Aaron - Tattoo Me, Elevate, and Radio On!

Heart - Beautiful Broken, Fanatic, Red Velvet Car, and Jupiter's Darling

Mariah Carey - Caution, and Me.  I Am Mariah... the Elusive Chanteuse (Deluxe edition)

Madonna - Madame X (Deluxe edition), Rebel Heart (Deluxe edition), and MDNA (Deluxe edition)

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2024 at 7:40 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Iron Maiden.  yes you can argue they're all too long which i agree but they all have Quality songs.

Iron_Maiden_-_The_Book_of_Souls.png?2015

For me, this was their best since Number of the Beast

• Like 3

Maiden's last two were fantastic.

Pink Floyd's Division Bell is one of their absolute best.

Foo Fighters' But Here We Are is their best since Wasting Light.

• Like 2

I'll also pick Death Magnetic from Metallica, I'd argue their "late career" started with that one in that their tours had started playing it safe with 80s + Black Album material.

4 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Yay, a bit of love for Division Bell - one of my favourite albums of all time!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 11:44 PM, grep said:

Crap..how can I forget.

The latest AC/DC album.  Almost like a blast from the past. Very strong record IMHO.

Power Up

AC/DC pretty much makes the same album each time. So they're all like blasts from the past. Power Up is definitely a very strong late career album. I'll throw Black Ice in there too. Lots of very good songs on that album.

Except for Nostradamus, Priest has been top level with all their releases since Halford returned to the band. Angel, Redeemer, Firepower and Invincible Shield are as good as anything they've done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Is it weird I don’t think the Foos are that old yet, when all the evidence points to the contrary?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Is it weird I don’t think the Foos are that old yet, when all the evidence points to the contrary?

30 years if we're counting the debut which is basically a Ghorl side project.

Mick

47 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

30 years if we're counting the debut which is basically a Ghorl side project.

Mick

And yet they still feel too relevant to me. They’ve never really gone away in all that time.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 7:32 AM, custom55 said:

Robert Plant keeps releasing great music.  

This is a good call. The stuff with Allison Krauss isn't really my thing but I can recognize that it's good. I really liked his album Carry Fire from a few years ago and he's had some other good ones post-2000 as well.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2024 at 11:04 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Time flies, for sure.

In that vain, I was going to mention Time Out Of Mind and Love & Theft as two great late career Dylan albums, but checking I see they're respectively 26 and 23 years old and he's released ten albums since! :tongue: